We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health food anywhere?

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maui, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
Health food anywhere?

Any health food stores or restaurants serving organic or vegetarian dishes? I want to eat local food, but prefer "no lard".

and dairy free. thanks. mg

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health food anywhere?

You won't find any tourist restaurants that cook with lard, but boy do refried beans taste better when you do use it! There is a little restaurant on Mesones called Tomate that vegans like. Genesis is on Reloj, only juices there though. At most restaurants you will find something on the menu that you can eat, lots of great salads and soups, my special favorite is the tortilla soup. You will find lots of local dishes that don't have meat and you can always ask to see the menu before you go in and get seated. Buen provecho.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Health food anywhere?

Casa de Sierra Nevada in el parque (the service is not so good though= ) has excellent vegetarian dishes, for example, vegetables on the grill and champignons inside a tortilla with yellow cheese (queso jack), I loved those dishes and lived there for almost 2 yrs eating the same every day, ha ha ha, best wishes!

Snow, 20 years of being vegan!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health food anywhere?

There's a new organic restaurant a few doors north of Espinos. It looks lovely, but I've had no reports on the food.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health food anywhere?

Why would anyone come to Colonial Mexico for "health" food?

Of course, we have very few hormones, antibiotics, etc. in most all.

Sure loved a mid Nov Sat night dinner at Alan Wong's in Honolulu - perhaps the highlight of our HI trip/NCL POH cruise.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health food anywhere?

Oh, and in Mazatlan in late Dec, we thought the HUGE Coconut Shrimp at Playa Bruja - Mr Lionso's - dipped in Mango salsa - world class!

Be sure to load up on your Lipitor and Zetia!

M

Ontario_Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Health food anywhere?

Bee Natural just off Ancho San Antonio on Paseo del Parque is a natural/whole foods kind of shop. I picked up a beet salad and a vegetarian torta as takeout yesterday and both were absolutely delicious. They also have granola made without corn oil and sugar -- most granolas elsewhere seem loaded with both. Plus you'll find organic veggies and lots of other interesting items.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health food anywhere?

Question about Bee Natural - when we were there last year we bought some hummus from them (delicious)..saw some bagged "washed" lettuce. Would that be ok to eat without treating/soaking in microdyn?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health food anywhere?

I just bought some washed rocket (arugula) in Bee Natural and didn't bother to wash it again. I'll report back if I get sick. Some of the veggies there look a bit tired, but it's a nice place. BBQ Bob's has good looking greens.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health food anywhere?

I've bought the eggs from Bob's - my friend who lives in SMA insists we also soak eggs!! Would you also not bother to Microdyn the greens/vegs. from Bob's?? Have they already done that?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health food anywhere?

I have an iron constitution, having lived and travelled all over the world. I don't soak greens if I am going to cook them. I probably should soak eggs, since I am told salmonella comes from the shells not the contents. But I don't know if Microdyn would do the job. Better safe than sorry is my advice. 15 minutes soaking is advisable wherever you buy.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende