We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please comment on San Antonio area

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Please comment on San Antonio area

Before we sign a contract to rent in this area for ourselves and friends, would someone kindly comment on my previous post a few dsays ago? With thanks, Armande

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

Armande, You may want to post your question on www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com because a lot of people on that forum live in SMA and will have opinions about your question. Also, you could search both this forum and the other one to see if this has previously been commented upon. Good luck, Skidaddle

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

PS. I just entered "san antonio" in the search box in this forum and there were lots of entries displayed. Be sure to look at the date so you can get the most up-to-date opinions. I think you'll find some useful information. Skidaddle

toronto
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

We stayed two months in the San Antonio colonia last year and liked it very much. Lots of little tiendas, restaurants, markets etc. Would go back in a heartbeat. BUT I would not rent a place unless I had seen it with my own eyes or someone I trused had seen it.

Stockbridge...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

We stayed in Colonia San Antonio for a month last year and the year before. Liked where we were, but you have to know the different streets, some not as pleasant as others. Almost rented a really nice house on Orizaba for this year, but chose not to --- traffic noise and fumes(esp. from buses as main line runs on it at all hours), graffiti, too busy and bustling. Certainly less touristy and more "real" neighborhood than lots of others. If you do stay there, be sure to try El Rinconcito, really terrific simple place to eat, probably Tex-Mex, but run by a lovely young Mexican couple.

NYC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

Armande, Check with Carol & Norman at www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com. They had posts on their forum relating to a series of auto break ins in various neighborhoods in San Antonio.

NM

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

San Antonio is a big neighborhood. Some parts are very nice and would be wonderful for a stay in SMA, but all of it is not the same. If you have streets to post here or on the board mentioned above, someone will help you out. If you would like to send me an email, I can forward it to a friend who lives in SA for her opinion.

Pass Christian...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

Similarly, we are looking at a vacation rental in San Antonio at Orizaba 87-91 and would appreciate local feed back as to suitability of location. A previous post mentioned the bus line, noise, etc. being a problem on Orizaba? Any specific information, comments would be appreciated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

I'm not as familiar with San Antonio as others. I would say that Orizaba is a busy street and the farther NW of Ancha San Antonio the more dicey it is. I would prefer an area closer to the Parque Juarez and to the north of it. If you're taking classes at the Instituto, San Antonio is very convenient.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

If you stay close to the Instituto which would mean not far off of Ancha de San Antonio and close to Orizba, it's likely things will be good.

If you go into the back of SA, you would need to be more careful about area and streets. If you get too far from Orizaba, the same could be true, but not always.

Orizaba is busy but not so busy that it's a major problem. If you are near Orizaba and near Ancha de San Antonio, I would think you were in a good area.

If you would like to email me, please do. I will check "notify" below and it will automatically let me know if you post again.

I have a house in SMA and spend a good portion of the year there, so I know my areas fairly well. I did a major real estate hunt last year which really gave me an amazing overview of what's good and what's not.

denver
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please comment on San Antonio area

I too am trying to decide on the best location for my month+ stay this summer. I feel alot of pressure because I will be coming with my two young kids, leaving the husband home! I need a place that is walkable (with a 3 year old), kid friendly, and safe. We will be attending either Centro Bilingue de San Miguel at #46 Correo, or Centro Mexicano de Lengua y Cultura de San Miguel, at Orizaba #15

Colonial San Antonio. Which school we attend depends upon where we find a house, since my choices seem slim at this point.

I am currently considering properties at:

*Cerrada de Alameda No. 8, Colonia San Antonio;

*Santo Domingo street (No exact address),just one and a half uphill from Instituto Bilingue in Correo street;

*Cerrada de Trebol #7, between Ancha San Antonio and Parque Juarez; (this seems great, but is only available for part of my time frame, so I would have to move everyone);

*Casa de la O" Bed and Breakfast/Apartments - located just 3 Blocks from the "El Jardin" - San Miguel de Allende's main square;

* 28 de Abril and Calle de la Luz, San Antonio;

*#15 Callejon de Codo between Umaran and Pila Seca, one block past Quebrada. (I found the last two in my search on the forum).

I know this is alot, but I have combed this site and others trying to figure out what is best for my kiddos, since I want to ease their long time away from home. Any feedback any one here can provide as to the best location for a mama and two very young kids would be HUGELY appreciated! I will also post this request on the other websites suggested earlier. Thanks so much!

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende