We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's going on at Bonanza?

sma
3 posts
Save Topic
What's going on at Bonanza?

Like to support the local shops, but have to say Bonanza is getting less and less friendlier. No greeting, no thank you, dairy products laying on dirty floors until they are room temperature and then put away. Short-tempered employees more interested in tv and leaving cartons in ailes is not the way to get your business back from Mega and the soon-to-be Wal-Mart. Many people are not shopping there for this reason, and I am one of them.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Have not been there in a while, but really no surprise.

Customer service is no longer high on many locally owned retailers'/business agendas, and it has gotton worse in the last several years.

The gringo owned service businesses are the worst.

M

toronto
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Funny you should mention...we too found them to be less than customer oriented when we were there this past winter. Several times the woman on the checkout was on her cell phone while checking us thru. And we asked if they would cut a piece of cheese from a larger piece and they wouldn't. Too bad as we too like to support the smaller stores.

Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Sad to hear. They have the best yoghurt ever. It's been a part of our San Miguel breakfasts for a long time.

Anyone know another source of the same yoghurt? Otherwise we'll have to risk the rudeness - we're addicted.

sma
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Myself and others similar experiences. We have written it off except in emergencies, and then just buy very little. We also like the yogurt, but after seeing it on the floor almost at room temps, it's not worth the risk. Nothing, absolutely nothing, worse than food poisoning here in SMA due to negligence of others. Worth the cab fare to Mega where your business is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Sma
Sma
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Remo's yogurt is great, but it doesn't last as long as Bonanza's (also great).

Preservatives?

All is cyclic here.

Life certainly.

M

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

I have to say I always find them perfectly pleasant, although they can seem harassed at busy times. Some of the gringo customers, though, can be arrogant. How many times have I been behind someone in the line who just speaks out in English to the staff there! Can't they even learn a simple phrase like "¿Habla Vd inglés?"?

They now have a line in Thai curry pastes (watch out Thai restaurant!) and carry some of the Aires del Campo organic products that are also in Mega.

I have however stopped going to the greengrocer's a few doors up from Bonanza: poor produce a lot of the time. Prefer the ones on Insurgentes and on the corner of Mesones and Juarez by the petrol pump. The latter even has some organic tomatoes that taste slightly better than the rubbish generally available here.

Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

Mikemo,

You mentioned Remo's yoghurt - where is it to be found? Bonanza's has become a feature of our visits but we could be swayed!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

StS,

Remo's is on the Carre. a Queretaro beyond the 2nd glorieta. They have the best Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Best produce here is from Tryon just a bit south beyond Remo's and Rancho la Trinidad west of the train station.

The local produce tiendas have gone slowly, but steadily downhill over the last 5 + years imhPo.

Mega's produce is mostly awful.

M

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

We'll be back in San Miguel in December and we'll definitely find Remo's.

Thanks for this info and all your help in the past.

Sally

sma
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's going on at Bonanza?

you are correct, things sure have changed at Bonanza. Recently got home to find the yogurt that I like there was sour. Probably another result of dairy being left unrefrigerated until they are good and ready to store away. Sad. Definitely have written them off. Any ideas for a substitute local store other than Mega?

Nora J