We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

I have checked the local library and bookstores. I can't find a RECENTLY published book on San Miguel. Amazon shows that one is "in the works" but that doesn't help me now. Ayudame, por favor!

santa cruz...
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

Hola VagabundaLoca, I suggest you go to the website:fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com. Loads of great information there. Carol Schmidt & Norma Hair have a book with the same name. It was published a few years ago, so might not meet your criteria for RECENT. It's available on the site & on Amazon. Carol & Norma live in SMA and continually update the website via the blog and the forum.

You can get their reviews on "cheap eats" and also on their splurge restaurants.

I too love to do a lot of research before a trip. I hope you get more answers to your questions.

Mariados

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

All "travel" books are way out of date at publication!

Why bother?

Use the internet!

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

A recent post on filwsma suggested avoiding Hep A vaccination.

Insane advice for any traveler.

M (MD; NBME; ABIM; ABNM; ABR)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

A slight change of subject but certainly related to travel. Is Hep A necessary for travel to San Miguel? I know I've been immunized but how recently....??

Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

Is Archie Dean's "Insider's Guide to San Miguel" still being published every year? We got ours from Amazon a few years ago.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

As far as I know, there is an up-to-date Insider's Guide. It's a useful tool for first-timers but very amateurishly put-together IMHO. It's a pity Joseph Harmes's 2005 Best of San Miguel has not been revised: I found it witty and entertaining as well as useful.

There are a couple of recent coffee table books about the homes of San Miguel: the large-format and expensive Casa San Miguel was published this April by the top Italian publisher, Rizzoli. It's in English! The other is smaller in format and is called San Miguel's Mexican Interiors (published by Schiffer this January). Both are available on Amazon.

A third book, also published this year, is about the botanical garden and is a self-published effort, but available in town. I can't lay my hands on my copy at present, but will post details once I have them. It's a nice book to have.

Of course the San Miguel 'classic' is Tony Cohan's On Mexican Time. The story he tells goes back some years now, but it's a pleasant enough read and certainly opens one's eyes to how the town has changed since he first came here.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

The book about the botanical garden is Wild and Wonderful, by Walter Meagher and Wayne Colony. Not the most imaginative title, but the text and pictures are good.

Gilbert, Arizona
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende
Level Contributor
256 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

VagabundaLoca,

What type of info are you looking for?

Internet will give you recent and other publications will give you historic.

www.atencionsanmiguel.org (if you ignore the politics/prejudices) will gieve you the current activities.

SB

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

You're right. I really don't need a travel guide (book). But I did take out two books from the library--one with short stories and the other is the ever-so-popular Tony Cohan's "On Mexican Time." I have a feeling that I won't see THAT San Miguel but I hope there's still some truth in it.

I'll visit the websites for further and more up-to-date information. Thank you!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent English Language Book About San Miguel de Allende

Both of Tony Cohen's books, I think, give the best atmosphere...Mexican Days also has a chapter or two on SMA, and other chpts about other places in Mexico. His books are more of the travel essay variety, but I like these best in any case. If it's just straight info you're looking for, just google it. There's sooo much online about SMA.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende