We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Decent" white wine??

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"Decent" white wine??

We will have guests who are white wine drinkers..I know a decent white is hard to come by in SMA. Any suggestions for a moderately priced white wine available at a grocery or liquor store?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Decent" white wine??

When did "decent" white wine become difficult to find in SMA? I like La Europea for such purchases, because it's conveniently located and there's generally a good selection. For picky friends of mine, I serve them "Padre Kino" white. ;-)

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Decent" white wine??

The cheaper whites at Europea are definitely not up to the reds. That's because north and south America produce fewer good mid price whites than, say, France, or New Zealand. The latter tend to be pricey because of the higher transportation costs.

The Marques del Riscal white rioja is drinkable, providing it's the most recent vintage. generally psekaing, I believe it's worth spending more on a white than on a red.

Europea are selling 2 Argentinian (Trivento) bruts for around $160. They are quite nice if you want to serve some bubbly.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Decent" white wine??

I’m not a white wine connoisseur (even had to look up the spelling) but the Costco in Celaya has a wide selection of whites and many of them show the Wine Spectator ratings.

Barba Roja

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Decent" white wine??

To follow up, since I am just back from a purchasing trip to Europea.

They have an Argentinian estate bottled chardonnay from Pascual Toso on offer. Another chardonnay, from Chile, Viña Casablanca Coleccion Privada, has won awards. However, if your friends are serious about their whites they probably prefer sauvignons. And since this is Mexico, why not go for something from Monte Xanic, one of the top producers in Baja? Europea have several, although the only one I have drunk comes in at around $250 and is excellent. There are others at just over $100 that may be worth trying. That's pesos of course!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Decent" white wine??

Las Moras Sauvignon Blanc (AR) and Antares Chardonnay (CL) are very inexpensive everyday whites available at La Europea.

The Las Moras is also at Mega along with Rey de los Andes Chard (CL) and Barefoot Pinot Grigio (CA).

They are pretty good @ about $47, to $79, pesos, and will surprise more than a few.

The Pinot Grigio is a typical "crisp" style v. the (mostly better, imhPo) Pinot Gris (same grape).

I have yet to taste a bargain Mexican wine.

Salud.

M

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Decent" white wine??

What are the offerings out at the wine store next to Tuesday market..can't recall the name - Divina?? The used to have 2 for 1's...but we never bought white so not sure if they have much of a selection?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Decent" white wine??

Have not been there in more than a year, but their selection was often hit and miss.

Soriana has become really expensive, so I don't buy wine there.

M

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Decent" white wine??

Mike..where DO you buy your wine mostly...in town, that is - we don't have a car to head out to Costco etc.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Decent" white wine??

Mostly Mega here, but, again, a bit of hit and miss.

La Europea here is but a hint of the tienda in Qro.

Don't know your time frame, but I go to Qro. maybe every 4 weeks.

You all are welcome to join me to look for the best wine values.

Please understand I have been buying, collecting and investing in wine for 50 + years, but my aging palate is, well aging, so I have been looking for "bargains" since I retired in '03.

That was easy in Dallas as I got a 20% discount on all wine for 25 years.

Kind of like the politicians.

Salud.

M

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Decent" white wine??

Thanks for the offer! Actually we will have a private car service picking us up at the airport in QRO. Wondering where the best selection might be and how to get there from airport? Will it be out of the way considerably for the driver? Also will the store take credit card? We won't have many pesos when first arriving.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende