We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cellphone

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Cellphone

Where in SMA can I purchase a cellphone?

Thank you.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cellphone

There are quite a number of places selling them around town. One that comes to mind is on Mesones, across from the Plaza Civica. Or you could check out what's on offer at Office Depot, up in Luciernaga complex.

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cellphone

Thank you for the info.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cellphone

If you have an unlocked GSM cell phone, you may buy a sim card for any country on any street corner!

Pretty simple.

M

toronto
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cellphone

Can you tell me how that works? We went into our cell phone provider here in Canada to ask about "unlocking" our phone to take to Mexico..the (unhelpful) clerk there said that it would not be a wise thing to do as every call we would make in Mexico would go back thru Canada - ie. it would be like making a call from Canada to Mexico with every local call we make. It didn't make sense then but I still don't understand how this works as we seldon use our cellphone here in Canada.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cellphone

To say it's pretty simple is an absurdity. First, you need to make sure you have a quad-band phone, or at least one that's compatible with the Mexican system, or indeed the system of any other country you might want to visit. Try using your US or Canadian cellphone in Japan for instance!

OK, that's not to the point. Anyway, if you have a phone that is on a contract, you need to get it unlocked. Some providers will not do this for you, since it would mean you could renege on your contract and they have sometimes 'given' you the phone at a highly discounted rate. (I paid about $700 a couple of years ago for a Nokia N95 that is not locked; the same phone cost less than $200 when tied to a contract). Anyway, you can often get the phone unlocked by finding out the code on the internet for your particular model, or by taking it to the kind of hole in the wall store that does such things.

Once the phone is unlocked, you can then remove the SIM that was in it and put in another, such as the Telcel Amigo SIM that is widely available at convenience stores and Telcel outlets all over Mexico. I would not advise buying one on a street corner!

6. Re: Cellphone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende