We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO as resource for finding rentals

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO as resource for finding rentals

We rented through VRBO a studio in San Miguel De Allende, after reading the wonderful reviews about the place.

It was a complete disaster.

Then I wrote my review of same place. They would not publish it. No wonder all the reviews of their rentals are great.

I am sure some reviews are true but it is a site not to trust.

Curious about which property?

Here it is:

Alice's Palace Guesthouse - Best View and Location in Town! Centro Historico, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 150746

It is a horrible place, across the street from main bus stop, terrible fumes, smells and loud noises, with music from adjacent stores that starts at 8 AM into the night, daily. Including Saturdays and Sundays. We rented the studio. We hated it and left an entire week early.

in short, DO NOT TRUST INFO ON VRBO.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

Cocks crowing at dawn, church bells and firecrackers at all hours of the day and night, barking dogs....

Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

I am very sorry Sandatuscon that you had a bad experience, I know how disappointing that is (it's happened to me, too!). You definitely have to be cautious of any VRBO rental, because reviews can be selectively posted (unlike Tripadvisor, where the vendor can't prevent a 'negative' post, and so you can usually trust the posts). But I do want to say, to be fair, that I have had many successful rentals through VRBO in various locations around the world. I found it helps to do as much research as possible about location (and other details) through a 'neutral' forum such as Tripadvisor. Also ask the vendor lots of questions. Ask detailed questions if something's important to you. Get a sense of who they are, and whether they appear reliable and forthcoming. Ask for more photos. This approach doesn't guarantee a good outcome (i've had a bad experience, too), but helps increase the chances of success. The amazing thing about a "house" or "condo" rental (through VRBO or another similar website) is that often --- for less than the cost of simple hotel room -- you get an entire house with a full kitchen, a living room, several bathrooms, a balcony or terrace or both, and all the ammenities of home! So even though I've had a bad experience once too, I still continue to use VRBO sometimes. When it's good... it's very good!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

i do just fine with vrbo too. this is a classic throw the bay out with the bathwater kind of post

Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

I read the description of the property...was there anything there that was not as decribed? Historico Centro is a busy place but you are close to everything. If you wanted quieter ( a relative term in SMA) a rental further out of the centro might have been better. But always ask questions when booking any holiday reservation and that goes for hotels too. The first time we booked a house in SMA through VRBO we were woken up every day with the primary school children singing and the band practicing.....we loved it! PS don't ever vacation in NYC

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

We have looked at dozens of VRBO rentals in SMA over the years. One thing we have learned is that we will NEVER EVER rent a place unless either we have seen it with our own lyin' eyes or someone we trust has seen it. It is really shocking how lovely a place can look on line and then what an awful place it can really be!!! Buyer beware!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

I looked at the VRBO website and your comments are posted.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

YES after a very long time they finally posted it!

marin, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

I'm can understand your disappointment, but am wondering how much research you did before booking this stay? Did you ask for feedback here (or elsewhere)? Pretty much anyone with a little knowledge of San Miguel would have been able to tell you that Mesones is one of the busiest commercial streets in San Miguel and would not be the place to pick for a quiet vacation. In fact, San Miguel in general is not the best choice for anyone into quiet. I have stayed in very expensive hotels, b&b's, and rentals that have all had excessive noise issues (church bells, fireworks, roosters, barking dogs, construction,etc).

I think, when booking on vrbo, you need to exercise as much due diligence as possible. Hopefully you next experience will be more enjoyable.

Coquitlam, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

Don't rent Alice's Palace Penthouse unless you are deaf....Amplified Disco music begins at 10:00 p.m. until 4:00 a.m. mix that in with Church Bells, Fireworks that sound like cannons going off and street noise. We asked Alice prior to booking our stay if it was quiet we told her we were older looking for a relaxing place...she was very deceptive as she said it wasn't noisey.. after the third night we left to get some sleep....I had prepaid for the month and Alice would not refund one penny and all she could say in her Texas drawl was "I'm so sorry" it's your choice to leave....she didn't have a sorry bone in her body. We also had to drag our suitcases up three flights of stairs to the Penthouse as Alice doesn't provide anyone there to help you. A huge thumbs down on her and her palace...

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO as resource for finding rentals

As somebody who has worked in the advertising industry fo 30 yrs., it is amazing to me that you believe what we say. You have to do the homework and investigate styff before you buy. Like, you were clueless.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende