We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

My family is planning a trip to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. We will be a party of 12 (ages 8-78) traveling in late August for 1-2 weeks. 8 adults, 4 children between the ages of 8-11. We were thinking of SM as a base. We are interested in being walking distance to the town but with the option of day trips (riding, golf, etc.). Ideally the accommodation would include a pool and the option to have some meals prepared on-site.

1. Does SM seem like a good choice?

2. Any recommendations for accommodations for a party of this size?

Thanks for any suggestions.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

I think SMA would be an excellent choice, but I would say that wouldn't I? Every single visitor I have had since living here has wanted to come back, and quite a few have.

There are activities to suit all ages, and several riding establishments and Spanish language schools run special summer programmes for youngsters. In August there will also be the chamber music festival, if any of your party enjoy classical music.

Day trips are easy to arrange, either by hired vehicle or public bus. Look at the Things to Do section here, which we try to keep reasonably up to date.

There is a huge selection of properties for rental on vrb.com, and you can use the website's search engine to find one that will cater to the size and requirements of your party. If you don't want to deal direct with an owner, there are many reputable rental agencies in town. Just google and you will find their names. You can also use the search engine here on TA.

new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

Terrific, thanks for the confirmation about SM as a choice. My parents have actually been to San Miguel and I'm sure would love to go back. I will look into the rental options a little further.

discovery bay, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

Have you decided yet ? A year or so ago we stayed in a private 3 bedroom house. That was near the Mega. You could walk to town, a mile or so. But, the bus comes right by if you didn't want to walk all the time. She, also, has another home next door a 2-bedroom house. Her website address is hattula.com

Check it out, it was great & relatively inexpensive for a great place !

I forgot to mention,SMA was a great place, lots to do around town & in the surrounding area.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 21:07
new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

Terrific, thanks very much for the suggestion. We are still working on our plans but this is helpful.

What kinds of things did you find to do in the surrounding area?

Thanks again.

California 2 San...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

I would take a look at Casaselegantes.com

They have BEAUTIFUL homes with all the requirements you seek. Bob the owner is great and will work with you. You can stay at a luxury haciaenda/casa for 12 people complete with cook and maid (and possible a pool, though you may not want one here in SMA, since none will be heated).

BUT instead of a pool you can have an excursion to one of the very wonderful hot springs in the area. I live here too, and can tell you that swimming may be the last thing you think of here.

I have rented from casaselegantes.com and loved, loved the house I rented. If you have kids, that might limit your choices a little bit since all homes come fully, and beautifully furnished.

good luck and have a wonderful time.

Maureen

new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

This is exactly what we are looking for! Thank you so much!

Just a question since you mentioned the swimming -- We would be there in August -- our biggest reservation is that it will potentially be quite hot. We are looking at the end of August. I know it's not humid there. (And we will certainly look into the hot springs...)

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

Anytime you need a larger house (in your case, probably 6 bedrooms), you should check out the big vacation rental agencies in San Miguel. All of them offer great houses in that size. Here's the information that's posted separately on another Trip Advisor page about the agencies:

Check out the web for Vacation Rentals by Owner, as well as for rental agencies in San Miguel de Allende. The price is right, the comfort level is high and you will leave with the full experience of being in San Miguel de Allende. Some of the larger, reputable rental agencies are:

San Miguel House Rentals: http://www.san-miguel-house-rentals.com

Casas Elegantes: http://www.casaselegantes.com

Premier House Rentals of San MIguel: http://www.premiersanmiguel.com

8. Re: rental for anniversary celebration in 8/12, 12 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:15