We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

I have been doing my homework and reading numerous posts on this forum and still feel confused about where to eat. First of all, many posts send you to a website that used to have a "Cheap Eats" section but this no longer exists. It might be nice to have a link on the main forum page with a list of restaurants where you can eat for under $10/person. (Is this possible in SMA?)

That being said I would love to eat at some budget-friendly restaurants while in SMA. We don't need to eat breakfast since we are staying at a B&B. But where can we have a decent sit down meal for both lunch and dinner that is not too pricey (maybe $10-$15 per person for dinner including a drink?). I am not interested in the higher end places and will not be buying a bottle of wine. Atmosphere is also important to us but again, not looking for fancy. Ole-Ole? El Pagaso? La Posadita?

Also are there any great spots for happy hour that I should consider? I appreciate your help in advance. We are on a budget but are NOT backpackers or anything like that :)

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Good value set lunches at La Parroquia and Juan's Cafe. The former is open in the evening too, when the set menu includes a beer or glass of not v good wine for less than the equivalent of $15US.

Tasty gorditas at the nameless place across from the biblioteca, but no atmosphere. Cheap lunches at stalls in the market. Flash Fish is a popular newer place, despite the traffic noise on the Ancha.

Edited: 31 December 2011, 13:34
New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

This is the first I read about Flash Fish! The reviews look great! Thank you so much.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Re Flash Fish. It's OK, but don't expect top quality fish. We are too far from the coast for that (I speak as someone who lived many years in Japan so know what good fish is about)

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Well, we will also be in Zihuatanejo on this trip so maybe we should save the seafood for there.

Anyone else?

toronto
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

If you're willing to go "further afield" we have some favourites in the San Antonio neighbourhood.

El Rinconcito - good home cooked Mexican food at good prices - courtyard seating - Calle Refugio Norte 7

Mariscolandia - VERY reasonable, good portions of fish, kind of a "hole in the wall" local place - Prolongacion del Refugio, 7B,

Capicho Italiano at Orizaba and 20 de Enero - one of my favourite pizza places in town - nice little courtyard, reasonable prices

Great burritos - very cheap - casual atmosphere - try Burrimania at Ancha San antonio #2

Other good eats at reasonable prices on my "fav list" - Media Naranja - good healthy food - wonderful tortilla soup and great smoothies - located at 83 Hidalgo upstairs

Ten Ten Pie - you can sit outside - reasonably priced - a block from the Jardin on Allende

Cafe Monet - good sandwiches - 83 Zacateros

Hecho en Mexico for great salads - 8 Ancha San Antonio

Tacos Don Felix for great Mexican experience - http://www.tacosdonfelix.com/

and then just wander, and explore!! Have fun!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

El Rinconcito is a must when I visit SMA! Great food and super nice owners.

Also, recommend Ten Ten Pie and Ole Ole.

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Thanks so much!

Canchick...I really appreciate the suggestions and the addresses. That is very helpful.

We are staying at Casa Papaya which is a little ways away from Centro but I am not sure if it is close to the San Antonio neighborhood. I will check and see if I can figure it out on a map. I am assuming once we get into town we will be able to pick up a tourist map somewhere.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Hi Jazz..no problem - any other questions, don't hesitate. We will be heading to SMA for our 7th winter there in a few weeks. I think your B&B is up by the Luciernaga Shopping Complex which is a hike into town but there are buses and taxis aplenty. But you're close to Tuesday market which is a must do. You can pick up a free map at the tourist centre which is across from the Jardin. If you have a look at this map internetsanmiguel.com/san-miguel-de-allende-…

I think you would be up the Salida a Queretero Road...If you look across from there you will see the the Ancha de San Antonio which takes you to Orizaba (Orizaba is across the street from the Instituto) and that takes you "into" San Antonio neighbourhood.

You'll love exploring!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Maps available from the tourist kiosk in the Jardín. Google maps has street view and also:

mapaverdesanmiguel.org/sanmigueldeallende/…

Gilbert, Arizona
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende
Level Contributor
254 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive restaurant recommendations

Try La Manantial. It is on Baranca at the top of the hill. It is basically a bar that serves outstanding seafood. The menu is limited but the ceviche is the best we have ever, ever had.

The owners are Jose Luis and Luis and they will make you feel welcome.