We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

I've got the urge to splurge. I'm lured by the idea of a trip from my home in Miami to San Miguel de Allende and then on to tropical Zihuataneo. I'll be travelling on my own and flexible about when and for how long to be on the road. Maybe three weeks would be nice. Is it necessary to first go to D.F. and make a connection or are there other flight paths? I'd rather not rent a car besides, I've read so many good things about the buses. If going by bus is my best option then who should I contact?

I've been reading this forum a bit and have to say that there are some most knowledgeable posters here. It's a pleasure and an honor to see how deep and long standing your experience is.

My Spanish is all tuned up after decades of daily practice and in the back of my 66 yr.old mind is that I could be happy if permitted to live there as a permanent resident. Any clarifying questions you have or tips to share will be greatly appreciated

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Its not necessary to fly into DF to visit SMA. You could go through either Queretaro (QRO) or Leon (BJX). Both are just over an hour from SMA, while its 3+ hours to SMA from DF.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Oooh, I was hoping to be able to bypass D.F. on this trip. Excellent.

Mop top Omaha

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

As far as getting from San Miguel to Zihuatanejo, you can either take a bus, or a shuttle, or hire a private car and driver. By car or shuttle, it's an easy, scenic 6- hour drive. By bus it's a few hours longer since you have to change buses in Morelia. Try BajioGo shuttle service online to see about their direct shuttle from SMA to Zihuatanejo. Or if you want to take the bus, you can just go to the bus station when you arrive in SMA and check the schedules (they change often).

You'll love both cities!!

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Buses in Mexico are fantastic. There is a directo Queretaro - Zihua at night. If not, you can go to Morelia a day or two and then bus to Zihua.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Go to Morelia for a spell and thence to Zihua...excellent. I was told that it's a lovely town.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

You can make it in a bit over 6 hours Via bus with a transfer in Morelia. I did it in reverse last March with 61/2 hours of actual travel time.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

PS Morelia is indeed a lovely city. Very Sophisticated & clean, but not as much as Guanajuato. A half hour away is Patzcuaro, a most wonderful small city of Arts/Crafts/

Edited: 30 December 2012, 02:31
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Bear in mind that there are no direct flights from the Miami area to either BJX or QRO, so you will have to transit somewhere. Flying in to MEX and then taking the airport bus will therefore be quicker and cheaper. I also prefer the luxury overnight bus from Mexico City to Zihua over the much less comfortable service from Celaya or Morelia.

I am not sure if BajíoGo is still running its van service. There is no mention of it on its website. You would need to call to ask.

It might be worth using a search engine like kayak or skyscanner to see if you can get an openjaw ticket at a reasonable price.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

MIA-BJX: $354 rt in Jan on Delta: That's a bargain!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking suggestions for itinerary please

Londinense,

I searched for, but was unable to find that absolute deal maker Delta fare. Kayak and others show United as having a price close to that. Delta's site was off the charts on the high end. Can you tell me how to find this fare?

Regards,

Miamense

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende