We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
College Station...
Level Contributor
304 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

Just wanted to comment on our trip to San Miguel. Returned yesterday. This was our second trip but with a 6 year break. The reason the break was so long was due to the "fear" factor. I am glad we got over that because we had a great time. Before we left, all we heard was "is it safe?". All I can say is that it certainly appeared safe to us. Lots of happy people enjoying life, a festival, kids playing and going to school, active social scene.....not exactly the war zone that Americans envision. We walked everywhere, day and night. Also, drove to Guanajuato for the day and enjoyed that amazing city too. Just go!

seattle/san miguel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

So glad you had a great time. Yes, living in Seattle, I feel that there is much more crime in large American cities. San Miguel is a respite from the rat-race, and a beautiful one.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

In 26 plus years of Mexican travel I have yet to feel the slightest fear.

Glad you found the same.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

I m so glad to read this post as I i am actually thinking of.going to Mexico by myself next summer. I dont party or am out late. I am pretty alert so with good luck, i am hoping that Ill be ok

So again its nice to read such a positive report.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

We just traveled with a 16 yo boy and 13 yo girl to Mexico City, Puebla, Orizaba, and Oaxaca. Never did we feel unsafe. The central part of Mexico City was safer than most American cities. We rode the Metro and buses from town to town.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

How did you like Puebla? My tentative plan is to fly into mex City and then from the airport, take the bus to Puebla spend 2nights. Then another bus to Oaxaca and spend a week there . I was all set to do that when I read that a year ago , the bus from Puebla to Mexico City airport was held up i read that on this forum. However. I have afeeling that I would be fine.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

No problem on our March trip to SMA, too many negative Media reports regarding drug related violence in Mexico. Staying away from coastal area is important, because most drug related incidents takes place near drug transport route. We were very careful in our selection of taxi in Mexico City, radio dispatched taxi is very safe. In fact, have your restaurants or any other establishment call them for you. One warning, hotel will call unmarked private car which charges 3x the regular fare, so better to hire radio dispatched metered taxi. Use your common sense, as you would at home and you will be fine. You can be a victim of violence in a movie theaters at home?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

Otroviaje--Puebla is very nice. A beautiful city center with great churches and architecture. Good shopping and food. Even with a day visit to nearby Cholula, I think Puebla is best for two days, three max.

As for the rest of your trip, a whole week in Oaxaca seems a bit long. I would personally cut that short by 2-3 days and spend more time in Mexico City than it sounds like you are planning.

texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

We agree ! We just returned from SMA, after a five year hiatus. Enjoyed new places to eat, watched families closing out spring break after Easter..so much fun! SMA never lets us down. Planning another trip early next year....:)

9. Re: Great Trip!! Fight the fear!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende