We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonia San Antonio

toronto
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Colonia San Antonio

I can't find the message from last week talking about the shooting here and the fact the police station has closed. Is there any updated information? How can I find the previous post in case the answer is there? Thx.

berkeley
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonia San Antonio

I have read that message too and am curious to know what the current situation is in San Antonio. Does anyone know in what part of San Antonio the shooting took place?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonia San Antonio

I would be guessing, but I think the Atencion may have had the thread deleted as an article was quoted against their "strict" policy.

The gang's location/activity was concentrated on Orizaba between (20 de)Enero and (28 de) Abril which is the reason the police (sub)station was located there.

There is some speculation that the initial confrontation may have had some "personal" implications/overtones.

Not good, but things seem quiet and I neither saw nor heard any negative stuff during yesterday's "Locos" festivities.

M

at home
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonia San Antonio

Go to the Atencion online site. Click "This Week's Issue" and then click "News." San Antonio story appears after Dia de los Locos, so scroll down. Here is the Atencion url. Copy and paste it into your address window.

http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/

There is still no word on how long Atencion will continue to offer this free, online service, but it is fairly complete, (minus classifieds, for example).

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonia San Antonio

Just finished the many www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com posts.

Believe me that was a real ordeal.

However, go to the site and check all the Col. SA posts beginning with #3365 (I didn't see any earlier re: the current issues).

Also some bad news there re: graffiti gangs elsewhere (Atascadero) in town.

M

M

at home
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonia San Antonio

What is the really bad news in Atascadero and how old is it? I cannot seem to locate the post(s) you mention and a number of us Atascadero dwellers are wondering about your reference to gangs, especially as it is incredibly quiet, peaceful and unmarked up here.

Thanks.

at home
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonia San Antonio

What is the really bad news in Atascadero and how old is it? I cannot seem to locate the post(s) you mention and a number of us Atascadero dwellers are wondering about your reference to gangs, especially as it is incredibly quiet, peaceful and unmarked up here.

Thanks.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonia San Antonio

The bad news is at the falling in love site. I have not been there in a while. It's a chat site and may be inaccurate.

Check today's Atencion for an update on San Antonio.

Also, another gringa was raped at home early this AM - on Calle Acamapixtle not far....

M

at home
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonia San Antonio

Mike -

On June 21st you wrote that you'd just finished pouring through all there is on fallinginlove.

Now, you write, in response to my question about where I could find the posting you mentioned about Atascadero bad news/gang/graffiti, that you have not been to fallinginlove in a while, the "news" could be very old, and perhaps what you recall reading came from an SMA chat room and could be inaccurate.

May I suggest that you qualify the news items you mention (as you do when referring to Atencion) so that people will understand that they may be reading erroneous information?

Most visitors to this site are visitors to San Miguel. As you very well know, we live in a community that has an ex-pat component and ex-pat components around the world are notarious incubators for gossip, rumor mongering and perpetuating urban legends, even when the intention is well meant. Look on almost any of the San Miguel forums (past or present) and you can understand what I mean.

In my opinion, broadcasting news when one may very well be disseminating "facts" developed along the telephone (now email) game circuit does not serve any community well, and is especially counterproductive on a forum dedicated to providing travel assistance.

Beacon, NY and San...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonia San Antonio

canchick - I hope the bits of bad news from San Miguel don't spoil your vacation plans. Keep in mind the US is a violent place compared to Canada. I think maybe that makes us more inclined to discuss it at length and speculate on events more than we should.

I'm fairly new to the San Miguel experience and don't have a good frame of reference for the recent problems in San Antonio. I've lived in the NYC area for 26 years where this sort of event is not unusual. At the same time, we just made the down payment on a house in San Antonio!

Anyway, as Mike pointed out, there's a good rundown of the latest on Atencion that was posted yesterday.

http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/

There are so many smart, energetic, opinionated people in San Miguel - including our tireless local expert Mike and many others who post herel. I think the prognosis is good that the community will do better with these issues than most communities in Mexico.

On the other hand, I may be a naive Pollyanna.

I hope you enjoy your trip to San Miguel. I'm coming back soon myself.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonia San Antonio

If you subscribe, you'll get frequent updates at

Civil_sma-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (check post # 3860)

and

www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com forums and Carol's blog, etc.

M