We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
34 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Which airport is the shortest distance to San Miguel Allende? What transport options are available from each airport to get to San Miguel? What is approximate cost of transport?

Thanks in advance.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Queretaro is slightly closer. You can book a shuttle pick-up from either and I believe the costs are much the same. You can get a cab from Queretaro for around 500 pesos. Generally people pick whichever airport has the cheapest flights.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

From Leon airport to San Miguel it is about 90 miles and 1 hour 45 min. on a mostly curvy hilly 2 lane road whereas from Queretaro airport to San Miguel is 54 miles and 1 hour 8 min. on a mostly 4 lane toll road which I have driven both roads and Queretaro is much nicer.......

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Seeing your town I'm guessing you are flying out of San Diego. Although you can get there from Carlsbad. BUT...major problem. Just ran this through Expedia for Queretaro and Leon. Flights are long due to layovers. Plus prices are high. Queretaro being higher than leon. Cheaper and much faster is San Diego to Mexico City. By about $300. Depends I guess on when you fly. There are some buses from the airport to San Miguel. Not sure when or how many. Lots more choices by taking an official taxi...you buy a ticket at the booth.. to the Terminal del Norte. ETN is probably the most comfortable although any first class bus in Mexico is good. Much nicer than the economy class you were squeezed in on the plane, Think First Class plane. Total trip time for flight to DF and bus will be about the same or less than going via layover flight. Your savings will be substantial. Plus you get to see a nice area of Mexico.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

bill, sometimes you just have to pay for convenience, I would not like flying into DF and then hopping a bus for a 5 hour trip to San Miguel....

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

I am not aware of any buses direct from Mexico City airport to San Miguel - to Queretaro, yes, and occasionally San Juan and Celaya (and Tequisquiapan) but never seen one to San Miguel.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Carico...look at the layover times. It works out quicker and cheaper. At least a couple hundred dollars. Plus i'd rather be stretched out in a bus seeing the country rather than some plastic seat in an airport. Steve..yeh. you gotta switch buses but all the reports I've seen say it is easy.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 21:52
rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Correct Steve, you bus to Queretaro Bus station then wlk to the 2nd. class terminal for the bus to SMdeA...

Maybe fly out of Tijuana.......

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

Carico...good point. TJ is a very viable option as long as OP has no issues with TJ. There shouldn't be.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 22:01
rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

I just looked at TJ and all Aeromexico flights have 2 stops which make the trip over 10 hours long......TiA to Queretaro was $600 R/T........

toronto
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Queretaro or Leon Airport for San Miguel de Allende?

We take the shuttle from Mex. City to our door in SMA...it's not 5 hours - it's 3 1/2 hours.

http://bajiogoshuttle.com/

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende