We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best currency in San Miguel

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
best currency in San Miguel

Do I need Mexican currency, U.S. $ in San Miguel? Do most places take credit cards? Any advice on my best bet for $ would be appreciated!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best currency in San Miguel

Yes, you need Mexican currency. A few places may accept dollars but it will cost you much more that way. Upscale restaurants and larger shops will take credit cards but you can always withdraw pesos from ATMs if necessary (use a debit card for that not a credit card!).

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
561 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best currency in San Miguel

You will be in Mexico, so you will need pesos. If I am in Mexico for a week or less I get pesos at a US bank and take them with me.

Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best currency in San Miguel

It's easy to get pesos. There are ATMs in the airport and throughout Mexico. Just use your debit card to buy the pesos. The exchange rate using an ATM is usually better than the rate given by those currency exchange booths in international terminals or from your US bank. Be sure to tell your bank that you will be in Mexico so your transactions there aren't blocked.

Gilbert, Arizona
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende
Level Contributor
243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best currency in San Miguel

I agree with all of the above

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best currency in San Miguel

I just returned from San Miguel. The best currency would be the local currency, pesos. The best way to get pesos, in my experience, is to take a debit card and make decent sized withdrawals to keep your bank fees lower. It is safest to use an ATM that is inside of a bank and be sure to cover your PIN when you punch it in (I also used the same ATM each time so as to not spread my info around).

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best currency in San Miguel

Using the same ATM and paying for things in cash when possible could be wise as per Bayou Bound from Sparks. Paying in cash is my custom especially after meeting a hapless couple with health issues from Indiana who used their credit card only twice here yet someone pulled an inside job somewhere along the processing chain and sold their card # to crooks. They became ensnared in a mess. Be sure to advise your card issuers prior to travelling!

I followed these steps and in 8 months in SMA have never had the slightest problem.

Edited: 26 September 2014, 23:52
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best currency in San Miguel

If you wish to pay 30% more for every thing use dollars. If not use pesos.

Notify your bank you will be using your ATM card in Mexico or they will block it.

8. Re: best currency in San Miguel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende