We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

Hi,

My wife and I are headed off to Laos for our second trip in September and part of our trip will be travelling from Luang Nam Tha to Oudomxay to Nong Khiaow and then onto Luang Prabang.

We have four nights available between Oudomaxay and Luang Prabang so are thinking of splitting the time between Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi. I would like to know if the following is possible?

* Bus from Oudomxay to Nong Khiaow and spend two nights there.

* Catch a morning boat and travel north from Nong Khiaow to Muang Ngoi and spend two nights there.

* Catch a morning boat from Muang Ngoi to Luang Prabang or catch the boat back to Nong Khiaow and then bus back to Luang Prabang.

Does anyone know rough times of when boats leave Nong Khiaow for Muang Ngoi and vice versa?

Many thanks.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

When I was there last October there were two boats leaving for Muang Ngoi - 11am and 2pm. However, I would quickly go to the boat landing in Nong Khiaw and check while you are there.

The boat from Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw leaves at 9am, which will give you plenty of time to get the bus to LP (or the boat if you want to take the scenic 5 hour trip to LP)

I am sure you will enjoy both places, I absolute loved it there

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

Hello there,

Thanks for the reply - just the type of information I was looking for. We are looking forward to the boat trip to Luang Prabang.

Are there any guesthouses you would recommend in either Nong Khiaow or Muang Ngoi?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

I recently stayed at the Sengdao GH which has about 10 bungalows overlooking the river on the LP side of the bridge (the main tourist area is on the other side but its only 200m walk). The bungalows were good, with ensuite, for $10. The lights were very dim - very low wattage - so you need a torch for reading, but otherwise great. A very good restaurant serving local river specialities too.

The restaurant just across the bridge on the right is also very good for fish and red river shrimp (CT guesthouse and restaurant)

http://hobomaps.com/NongKiewMap.html

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

Most guesthouses / bungalows are very similar and basic, with no electricity during the day. However, there is a newer guesthouse near the boat landing with solar power, so if the other bungalows are too simple, check it out. Unfortunately they don't have a river view, and I enjoyed getting up and having a nice view from my window, or relaxing in my hammock in the afternoon.

Restaurant wise the Indian restaurant in Nong Khiaw is very good, and so is Sabai Sabai further down the road (great setting there with tables in the garden). The massage and 'spa' was praised by most travellers as well.

In Mung Ngoi most places offer very similar food. I loved the noodle soup at the restaurant next to the boat landing. The restaurant two doors next to it (follow the little path past the boat ticket place) is nice place to enkoy the sunset (better than the other restaurants). I tried quite a few places there, and I enjoyed the food. Simple, nothing special, but very yummie.

Just writing and thinking about these places make me want going back straight away...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

I had the best real Lao food of my whole trip in Nong Khiow, can't remember name of place though...

first Guesthouse on the right when you get off the boat in Muang Ngoi was the best $3.75 I ever spent

Try and find a local to take you for a boat trip a bit further up the Nam Ou to the fresh water stream for a swim, this was my favourite thing about Muang Ngoi, this is also the only place in Laos with prawns, which is interesting

6. Re: Nong Khiaow and Muang Ngoi in 4 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Nong Khiaw