We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to San Ignacio

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to San Ignacio

Looking at a trip possibly next year and am thinking of driving down from Tijuana to Laguna San Ignacio and then going with one of the operators for the whale watching.

We have already investigated Ecotours but that involves a fifteen hour coach trip from Tijuana which my wife is not keen on and we had thought about hiring a car and driving it over a couple of days each way to make it more of a road trip.

It looks pretty remote but then we have driven in the Atacama so it shouldn't be a problem from that point of view.

Anything I should know. It is feasible? Do I need a four wheel drive vehicle? How long would it take, I see it is about 900 kms, how safe is it? Are there suitable stopping places en route? Is there a better starting place than Tijuana? (we would be coming from the UK and most flights seem to end up in San Diego).

Thanks, I did have a look back through the forum but couldn't see any questions about it so its either just done because it is easy, or not, because it is difficult.

3 replies to this topic
Dorset
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to San Ignacio

Perhaps this a little late for your trip which is probably imminent. We (retired couple U.K.) have booked 4 x day Whale watching at San Ignacio Lagoon next month - 27th Feb. - 4th March with "Pachico's Eco Tours". Flying London L.A. - next morning L.A. to Loreto ( two nights hotel) then car rental to San Ignacio. It was the best considering time and limiting possible delays. Our Whale watching tour operator says a 4x4 is not necessary although high wheel base is good - have not been able to rent such so will take it easy with a saloon. Driving at night is DEFINATELY a NO.

If you happen to be in the area at that time contact me.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to San Ignacio

Hi,

We are looking at doing exactly the same, travelling from UK in March 2015. Would be keen to find out if you have any tips from your trip?

Travelling times, safety, etc

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to San Ignacio

Hi,

We are looking at doing exactly the same, travelling from UK in March 2015. Would be keen to find out if you have any tips from your trip?

Travelling times, safety, etc

Reply to: Driving to San Ignacio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Ignacio