We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

I am so torn. I currently have a reservation at PBP, but I've always had my eye on Grand Solmar.

I just found a grand studio and a one bedroom master suite for $1,600 - $1,800 less than what we're paying for PBP. We had always planned to leave PBP to eat at other restaurants anyway so that savings will go a long way.

The main thing I think I will miss about PBP, are the beach cabanas. I am getting very hung up on the fact that there is nothing on the sand at Grand Solmar (I've whined about this before on here).

How hard is it to get a decent spot at any of the pools at Grand Solmar? I ask, because I know I'll be spending a lot of time alone, while my husband fishes (the reason for our trip).

I know the marina is walkable, but how walkable is Medano? I've looked at the maps and it looks like a long walk around the marina. How long is that walk? I ask, because I'd like to be able to walk to the restaurants and bars.

I'm open to opinions! If you had the choice to make, would you switch?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End...
3,515 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,770 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
13 replies to this topic
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

I can walk to Medano in about 35 (brisk) mins. if I don't 'shop' on the way ;)

Not sure about a 'decent' spot by the pools, but with many choices, I'd think you could find a good spot at one of them. Both are beautiful properties, but the easy location of GS would definitely make it my first choice. With that savings you could really enjoy yourselves ;)

Perhaps GS would set up some beach 'cabanas' something for you closer to SBC, where there actually is a beach ;)

Edited: 16 August 2017, 20:25
Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,770 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

35 minutes isn't bad at all! It would be a great way to work off the food and drinks!

One more question that I meant to ask before: how strict is GS about bringing your own drinks down to the common areas, in an insulated mug? It would be nice to be able to go up to our room, make a drink and head back down to the pool area, but I can see how this might be frowned upon.

I sent off an inquiry to the owner of the two units, so I'm probably going to make the switch soon.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

I have to chuckle when I hear "grand" or "master". Those are just marketing terms. They mean nothing as far as the room type at Grand Solmar (and most other resorts). A studio is a studio is a studio. :)

You will not get a cabana on the beach at Grand Solmar. And you won't even get a cabana by the pool unless you reserve one and pay extra for it (and it's not cheap). If that's important to you, then stay at PBP. Also, it's a decently long walk to Medano. Can you do it? Yes. Whether or not you'd want to walk it will probably depend upon the time of year you're in Cabo. If you're there between June & October, you're probably not going to want to do it. If you're there any other time of year, the weather won't try to kill you during your walk.

However, GS is easily walkable to town and the marina. Lots of great restaurant choices within walking distance.

Not sure where you were looking re: renting at week at Grand Solmar, but I found multiple 1-bedrooms and studios for $1,000 - $1,500 for the week on redweek. Of course, those won't be AI since they are rentals from timeshare owners.

I've not stayed at the Pacifica, so cannot advise you one way or the other about its suitability as regards what you're looking for. Good luck, and have a great time in Cabo.

Mentioned in this post
3,515 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,770 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

I understand they don't want you to do that, but I take mine to PG and SBC-I have my iced tea in it, order a lemonada, add it to my tea and tip well. I would think this could also happen at GS, but not sure. I know it's much nicer to use the insulated mugs so your drinks don't get all hot and melted so fast. I would at least give that a try :) and if you purchase a drink or two during your pool stay, they may not object. Perhaps others can speak to this. Perhaps it's the tip that makes it work. LOL

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

GS is pretty strict re: bringing your own food/drinks from your suite. From the latest newsletter to owners:

"Policy Reminder

The time you spend at your home resort is important. We pride ourselves in offering the finest resort amenities that make sure your stay is as comfortable and safe as possible. That’s why it is important to follow the rules and regulations established by Solmar Resorts. Pool safety and convenience are prime examples. Pool chairs cannot be reserved or saved. To ensure that all members and guests can enjoy the pool areas, the pool staff will collect towels and personal items left on pool chairs. These items will be stored for pick up in a secure location.

In addition, bringing food & drinks to the pool area is strictly prohibited. No coolers are allowed poolside. Incidents in the past with glass bottles and garbage have created a hazardous environment both in and around the pool. We ask that members enjoy drinks and snacks in their suites, but refrain from bringing them to the pool. Thank you for your cooperation."

Mentioned in this post
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,971 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

@Kay - They are far stricter at Grand Solmar than at Playa Grande. The wait staff will actually tell a manager, and then the manager will come out and speak directly with the guest. I assume they do that to prevent any arguing with or verbal abuse of their wait staff.

Mentioned in this post
3,515 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,282 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

So-if you take an empty insulated mug to the pool so your cold drink can stay cold, they won't allow that? I understand they want to make money, but a hot, melted drink is nasty ;) and expensive! Sad they are that strict. Glad I didn't move! jajajaja Perhaps they should sell drinks in a GS insulated mug :) I bet they would sell!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

I get that they're both studios. It's just the two of us and we don't need anything larger anyway. The extra bathroom may come in handy in the larger unit though.

The cabanas at PBP are $50 per day. I don't have an issue paying for them, but anything higher than that would probably make me second guess renting one. Would you happen to know the cost?

Staying AI really isn't a factor for us. I would rather not pay for something that I'm not going to utilize to its fullest potential anyway. Unfortunately, we can't rent for one week, so our choices are limited.

Good to know about the drinks. I seem to recall seeing that in another thread about Grand Solmar awhile back, so I suspected that would be the answer I would get. I see what KatD is saying though - I've stayed at other high-end resorts and the bartenders have had no issues making my drinks in my small Yeti. It would be nice.

Mentioned in this post
3,515 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
United States
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

They may say they have these rules but we only stay at GS and every trip, there tare people bringing their own drinks down to the pools. I've never seen anybody talked to about it. Until this past trip in March, I've never seen anybody save chairs at the pool at GS but this time it was rampant. Luckily, I spend 98% of my time in the pool so it doesn't effect me much. There are always chairs available at the main & sunset pools based on our experience.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End

Interesting, because we've been staying there every year since it's been built and the last few times we've been there, they've been strictly enforcing the rules. Well, I guess the OP can try it. What's the worst that can happen -- he'll get a "visit" from the manager and asked not to do it anymore.

Reply to: Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (AI) or Grand Solmar at Land's End
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted