We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo or Riviera Maya

BURTON MI
4 posts
Save Topic
Cabo or Riviera Maya

I am planning a family vacation and we are having a difficult time deciding between the Melia Real in Cabo or the Iberstar Lindo in Riviera Maya. My children are 27, 22, and 18. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

LOVIE,

two very different places in almost everyway. the Yucatan is far more tropical and the waters are a different "blue". Cabo is semi arrid being surrounded by mountains and desert. the areas around Cancun/Cozumel are far more densly populated where as Los Cabos covers a hugh area and while there are concentrations of developments in San Jose del Cabo and Cabo san Lucas(more of a party atmosphere) they are relatively small in comparison. both places have great food and lots of activities. no doubt you kids would have a ball in either place. Baja is a special place to be sure. it is away from the mainland and has developed a distinct culture i have found no where else in Mexico. tell us what you expect from your holiday and maybe then we can nail it down for you. Buena Suerte........ jim

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

Riviera Maya. The beaches are much nicer.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

ching,

the beaches on the Yucatan are beautiful but ill take Baja anyday. Baja is as much of an attitude as it is a place. im not one to lay around on the beach and i love the Yucatan but its not Los Cabos, a different kind of beauty where the desert ,mountains and sea come together. Buena Suerte......... jim

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

I wasn't trying to argue with you. Don't get me wrong, I love Cabo. I agree, they are 2 different places. It depends on what's important to you. I go to Cabo more because of it's easier to get to from here. It's very beautiful and the weather is great.

For me personally, I love the beach. It seemed like a lot of the beaches in Cabo weren't swimmable whereas most of the hotels in Riviera Maya have nice calm beaches with clear water. I usually stay in Tulum, I love how quaint it is.

Washington State
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

I stayed at the Copacabana in the Riviera Maya and loved it, it is beautiful, the beaches and water are amazing. While I have never been to Cabo, I was 23 at the time and we did all kinds of stuff and had an amazing time.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

ching,

please, i didnt mean my post to sound like you were arguing with me at all and im sorry if thats the way it came off. i too love the Yucatan. spent a lot of time there and plan on spending more. its just that ive got Baja running through my rapidly deteriorating veins! no worries. Buena Suerte......... jim

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
899 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

you cant beat the beautiful crashing waves on the pacific side of cabo!!!!

riviera water color is def more beautiful, but i prefer and love crashing!!!!

tough choice for you, but enjoy your trip wherever you land!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
140 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

If you want water sports, awesome snorkeling, swimmable beaches and lots to do go to Mayan Riviera. If you want ATV riding, fishing, good food and party central go to Cabo. Both areas have expensive dining and transportation. The Mayan Riviera is lush, green with Mayan ruins to tour, Xel-ha and Xcaret to enjoy and many other things to do. Cabo is dry, arid desert beauty with good restaurants and nice people. Have fun.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

Don't forget the high humidity in the area of Playa, Cozumel (ferry ride over) and Cancun. Cabo has the best weather of any destination we've ever been and we've been to many places. Just my 2 cents.........

10. Re: Cabo or Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 02:17