We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August??

Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Weather in August??

Has anyone been to Cabos in late August? We are thinking about going, but I'm nervous about the hurricane season this year.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in August??

We were there last Aug. A couple of hurricanes were headed that direction but veered off way south and into the Pacific. Humidity came up but that was all. And it definitely isnt crowded then. Go and enjoy....can't live your lives on the "what ifs".....If you dont go and no hurricanes even show up on the map you will be sorry.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in August??

Razzk,

Being totally addicted to Cabo I have to say any month in Cabo is wonderful just some months are better. August is hot and the humidity can be higher than normal and the possibility of hurricanes or tropical storms is there but for us the possibility is not so great as to keep us away. We have been thru a couple of tropical storms and a catagory 2 hurricane over the years we have gone and all I can say is if hurricane season was the only time I could go I'd go and not worry about it. Go have a great time and to quote a very wise forum poster "get your Baja on"

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in August??

It is less dicey if you go earlier in August rather than later. I was in Cabo a few years ago for the first week in August and it was surprisingly woderful.

Have you considered booking the trip and getting travel insurance in the event a hurricane were forecast? Hurricanes are a possibility but a relatively small one....and they come with sufficient warning.

Lots of places in August have some risk. You know many areas are sure to be a steam bath (DC, Baltimore, the South....more than Cabo).

And, many areas carry hurricane risk in August, like Florida and the Carribean, though a greater risk than Cabo in August.

The risk in California's August is smoked-out from fires.

August is a month where you can get deals. I was surprised that Cabo in August was as busy as ever, I guess because August is the vacation month.....people fleeing their own areas bad August weather.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in August??

We'll also be there in mid August and I had the same concerns but I heard Sept and Oct are the scary months . Don't know if that's true, but we have everything booked and payed for August so .. Que sera, sera. go and have a great time!

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in August??

Yes, August is a possible hurricane month but Sept is much more so.

I'd book August again....loved it....and August in most parts of the US suck. But, I'd get trip insurance just in case.

Also, some in my family love nothing better than a big storm...something short of a dangerous hurricane. Having seen the most incredible waves of my life at Sunset Beach I would love to see them in a storm. And dramatic skies?

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in August??

Here is some good hurricane information at the Baja Insider

bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/historic_…

In summary, local residents say a hurricane will never hit Cabo before September 1st. But, historical data does show low grade hurricanes or heavy Tropical storms hitting in August (occasionally) - almost all were after the 15th of the month.

This is a pretty informative site.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Alaska
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in August??

I gotta check out that site. We usually go the end of August beginning of Sept for Labour Day. Several times the small boat harbour has closed due to rough seas and the humidity can be high but we love that time of year. The one thing I would look for if you go then is A/C in the restaurants. A lot of the restaurants are open air with great food but it can be really hot.

Some good places with A/C

Sea Queen

Puerto vieja

most places in the major hotels

Panchos has fans (no a/c) but it is worth it

Blue Marlin

Fish house has fans too

Cabo is not crowded at this time of year and that is priceless.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Alaska
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in August??

Last year when Hurricane John hit we went to Cancun area last minute instead of chancing it in Cabo. Other than that we have been there with small hurricanes in the area and it was no big deal except for a bit of flooding and huge waves.

You might get trip insurance just in case, I think I might do that myself this time.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in August??

We were there late September last year -- I think there were a couple of hurricane threats just before we went. It was very hot, but I would certainly not avoid a trip to Cabo in late August because of concern about hurricane season. I'm sure, though, that I'm a bit jaded about hurricanes, growing up in SW Louisiana and living in Houston all these years. We just make our plans whenever it is convenient for us to go. If we tried to plan around hurricanes here, we would never be able to do anything. I realize it is not the same for everyone else.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
10. Re: Weather in August??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 03:18