We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

HELP! I am so confused with all these different passport regulations!

Can we travel to Mexico with just our ID and proof that we've applied for a passport?

I keep reading that Mexico will not allowed you to enter unless you have a birth certificate, but of course I don't have mine b/c I sent it in order to applied for my passport!

Please let me know, if you have traveled to Mexico what documents you really do need!

Thanks in advance!

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

Hi I'm waiting to hear a response to your post as I'm in the same boat myself except I have 5 passports to wait for! Yikes.. now I'm planning on getting copies of all our bcs( we have our passport processing #'s from Gov't) and another copy of my marriage certificate as well what a pain! but I don't want to pay for everything if I don't have to! I have 51 days to travel and we applied in May. Anyway, anxious to hear as well!

Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

I have read in some other threads that Mexico was sending people back if they didn't have their BC. This was when the US 1st relaxed their rules - so that may be why.

However - Mexico's rules have always been you either need a passport or Certified BC and goverment issued ID to enter and leave their country.

It's getting very confusing as the US did not mention that when they said they would allow us to leave and return to our country with just the passport receipt and ID.

Not sure if Mexico is now letting people in without the BC. I would suggest just getting the BC's and play it safe. (My sister is in the same boat. We leave in 17 days and her passport is not here - so she ended ordering another BC and she did receive it)

You just never know if you get someone in customs who decides they won't let you in without it.

Good luck!

Wendy

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

You do need the certified copy of the BC, a govt. issued photo ID, the reciept from trying to get the passport, and any paper trail proving you are the person on the BC-if you married/divorced which changed your name. You would need to get another certified copy of the BC. This said, everyone is so confused over the government's stupidity in changing the rules daily, you may not get asked for any of the above, but you could be denied boarding without.........it's a true mess, and until the govt. makes a decision and sticks to it, this could continue for ages!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

I have a copy of my birth certificate, ( orginal sent in with passport) a driver license, and I will have the paper verifying I am waiting for a passport .

Will that get me into Mexico? or do I need another certified copy of birth Certificate ?? Where do I get that??

They are telling us NO but I dont want to be wrong !!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

Thanks to all for your response! I guess I am going to have to applied for my BC...and hope that I receive it on time!

Thanks again!

SFBayArea...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

Good Luck cduarte!

If anyone knows if Mexico has changed and will accept proof of passport application in lieu of BC, please let us know!!

Our family applied for passports back in March and we still do not have them. As of today, it looks like we are officially screwed, as I went to get the official BC's from our county office and because of some major microfiche screw up on their part, they were unable to print one for my daughter. They were completely unsympathetic and unhelpful - merely stating that they would have to request it from the state and refused to give me any estimated date of when I would receive it. Needless to say, I am now also disgusted by my local government. Can't anybody do their freakin' jobs anymore?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

I understand !! I I just made copies of our Birth Certificate,before I sent them in . !! You would think if Our Government says you can travel to Mexico Canada and Caribbean , on proof of passport application our government should have made sure all were on the same page !! they should have made sure it was OK with the other countries for us not to have Birth certificates Just paper and government ID !! Crazy !!

So do we need a certified copy ??/ If you find out please let me know !! Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
SFBayArea...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

Paintball,

Yup, as far as I know Mexico has always required a CERTIFIED copy of a BC with ID for entry. Regular copies are not ok - unless you get the occasional lax customs agent :) Not worth the risk IMO.

Anyway, I think you brought me good luck! I just got off the phone with the passport Task Force (after being repeatedly hung up on by the passport information hotline) and my family will receive our passports by 10:30 am pacific tomorrow! They even gave me a REAL FedEx tracking number!

Everyone who is still waiting - good luck! And if you are not getting adequate service from the passport info line, call the task force ( a little sleuthing brought this discovery) at (202) 647-7948. They just may be able to help you.

I think this calls for a Margarita!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

OUR government was only telling you what YOU NEED to get back to the USA... Mexico has always had the same rules for years and years...it is either a passport...or a raised seal birth certificate along with a state photo ID like Driver's license...and a marriage license for a woman if she has changed her name. THIS HAS always been the law. THE USA certainly doesn't care about other country information and did not bother to put it on any of their sites. THEY only are trying to get their HOUSE IN ORDER and it is a mess. YOU will NOT BE ALLOWED to fly into Mexico without your passport...or the proof that you have applied, your raised seal birth certificate and your photo state ID/driver's license. The airlines are not boarding you from your home airport.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone travel w/ just an ID & proof of passport applica?

The BS must be certified, not a photo copy. And if married, the ladies should take the license to show the name change-also if divorced. They rarely ask, but if they do..................