We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still Confused about Scuba...

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Still Confused about Scuba...

Ok I've scraped to the bottom of the forums but I'm still a lil confused, and my trip's tomorrow so please hear me out.

I see on some websites that there's a

"Resort Pool Lesson"

and a

"1 tank/2 tank dive"

I've never scuba dived b4, so:

1. can i do the 1 tank / 2 tanks dives as a novice? Or must I do the resort pool lesson?

2. will there be an instructor with me?

3. Do I have to watch out for the instructor and the equipment costing me extra?

I appreciate all the help!

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

My own personal thoughts:

I also dive but decided to just stick to snorkeling in Cabo as the water is extremely unpredictable. Others may chime in here with a difference view, as this will be my first trip to Cabo.

You won't find many posts on the Cabo board pertaining to scuba dives as some people don't even venture into the water except for a boat cruise to Arch or for some big time chartered fishing.

Being a diver myself – I surely would NOT plan on my first dive to be in Cabo but somewhere else where the waters are more reliable (and again that’s just my own personal thoughts).

Horsham...
Level Contributor
843 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

Any reliable scuba outfit will make you take a pool lesson before you can take a 1 or 2 tank dive. After the pool lesson the instructor will be with you on a dive.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

Diving in Cabo is not especially good. The water is cold , you need to wear a wetsuit AND a hood. I bailed out before my 1st dive. That's not my kind of diving. My hubby went to Cabo Pulmo and that was very good but a 2 hour drive one way. I agree save your diving adventure for the Cayman's or better yet Cozumel. Have a totally wonderful trip..........

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

Thanks so much for the helpful warnings! I had no idea!

I think I'll just stick to snorkeling in this case. Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
140 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

My friend tried scuba in the pool at the Playa Grande. He loved it so he took a Discover Scuba class and got to go diving with Amigos Del Mar for his first try. The Discover Scuba is a dive with an instructor holding on to you for most of the dive, they will be constantly adjusting your dive vest (buoyancy) for you and making sure you are fine. The Discover dive goes down to maybe 30 or 40 feet and you will see a lot of stuff. They usually take you to Pelican Rock which is about as protected you can get, it is inside the bay and it is closest to the marina so the surge doesn't bother you there.

There are a lot of fish to see in Cabo, the water may be a bit chilly right now though. Usually it would be in the mid 70's and most people would wear a 3mm wetsuit. (I always wear a wetsuit as protection against abrasioins.) My friend returned home and took the complete class and now he is hooked.

You might try the snorkeling and see how you like it, then talk to a dive shop and ask how much it is, get them to write it down with all the prices: gear rental, lesson, and boat dive. If you look it up on the Amigos del mar website it has the current price for a Discover Dive which is what you would be doing.

Have fun diving.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
140 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

from the Amigos Del Mar website

They don't call it a Discover Scuba class they call it a Resort Course....

RESORT COURSE $100 per person

3 hour introduction to scuba for non-certified clients who want to experience scuba. The perfect opportunity for the non-diver to enjoy the beauty and marine life of the Sea of Cortez in a safe, controlled manner. Guaranteed to be the experience of a lifetime. Students first practice simple skills in pool then when they are ready do a 30' or shallower dive with their instructor in the tranquil Bay of San Lucas. Easy and safe and exciting. Price includes equipment, pool, boat, certified instructor and refreshments. Not to be missed!

Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

We dive with Amigos del Mar, and I think they are a good operation.

I would think that they should be fine for a resort course. Diving in Cabo certainly does not compare to Cozumel or Grand Cayman, but it is still fun and you can still see some very interesting things.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

Vacationing wonderlings (we all are one in one form or another) go on vacation and want to try something new and different to make the vacation more memorable or take the time to discover. All too frequently we overstep our bounds and the vacation turns tragic. Want to experience the joy of Scuba, Take the recommended course at home, get experience, the more the better, then travel to the exotics and continue in safe manner. See above for good recommended first time exotic dives. Underwater Sand falls in Cabo are something to see but Cabo can be dangerous. Fad is to take course at home then do final check out dive some place exotic. I have a friend whose nephew took him diving in Mediteranian Sea and he almost didn't make it back, now he won't go anywhere. Take it safe, have fun and continue to enjoy something new in the right manner.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

want to experience then look for Hooika or snuba where you have a compressor on top of water and long hose with mouth piece (regulator) at end. Max depth about 20ft.

10. Re: Still Confused about Scuba...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:20