We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

There are two types of people in this world

1)people who keep their eyes wide SHUT

2)people who keep their eyes wide OPEN

I realize this is a forum to gain incredible information to a more enjoyable Cabo visit but we should also be open to hear the bad as well for our own protection. There will always be Internet creepers but as we are a wise group here – they are easy to read into.

I feel for this family and we should applaud this poster as where others would just let other’s find these things out for themselves without warning.

It may be rare that it happens but YES it does happen. Sadly, after reading the review my heart goes out to this family as they have very small children that were traumatized by the trauma. The Tesoro Hotel does have lots of negative reviews BUT so did VDP and I loved it there. Also, not everyone in today’s world is computer literate or has the time or access to research hotels with full detail.

I know I have ruffled some feathers on this forum with my NON sugar coated comments but this reminds me when for years I talked about how the ‘Red Light” district has grown in Aruba – people going for years NEVER even knew there was any type of red light district. Those were people that got off the plane, got in a taxi, entered their hotel and stayed local to the hotel area …NEVER to see what was once the true Aruba or to witness the massive negative changes.

After seeing the Tesoro Hotel myself (as I’m sure some here have never seen it)– if I had booked it from online reference and saw what it really was in person – I would not stay there under any circumstance and at any cost would stay elsewhere BUT not everyone has the financial means to do that once they are there.

This post may be deleted by the advisor's or I am be banned from continuing an ongoing thread but ...voicing the Good, Bad and Ugly is what makes a forum work… adios amigos!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

NYTAH, I do agree, after reading the review, my mind was changed about the poster not being legitimate. I'm surprised that nothing was done, and would like to know if means will be taken to prevent things like this from happening again. Trapper is the one I count on for advice on the property, so I would like his thoughts on this. It can certainly happen any place in the world, but it's not what we want to have happen to people. I can't imagin you will be deleted or banned. These are the things everyone needs to be aware of.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
692 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

After reading a lot of reviews, I found out that if the bad reviews are more than 30%, we should difinitely stay away from it, and for this hotel, the % is way higher.

For those who don't use the internet, I think they should ask the travel agent, that's their responsibility to help the client to assure a good vacation besides making money from them.

Just like shopping, if poeple buy something they don't even see it, at least they should ask around, otherwise it's a big risk, remember, you got what you paid for.

But I still feel very sorry for the family, specially the kids, hope next time they will have a very good trip to make up for this one.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

I have booked folks into this property..........those on a tight budget, that want to be close to all the clubs! Not going to make a definite judgement without talking to Trapper on this one!

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

I stumbled in to Tesoro. I was on the Marina and looking for an internet cafe. I was told to go behind the rows of bars and restaurants, then I went through an alleyway and found myself inside the Tesoro, surprised.

Think how different that is from say, Marina Fiesta, which I wanted to walk through but all the gates were locked, so never got a good peak.

A negative assumption was made very quickly to MC's post and then as those things go, others just followed suit. It wasn't fair.

It is a good lesson to us all about assumptions and the tendency to gang up. The college text, The Social Animal (Aronson), maybe the best work on the subject, speaks of this dynamic. We all do it.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

I've always wandered through to look at that great art that is on display!

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

Hummm, that may explain a lot that people want to stay there because it’s close to the clubs. Late at night you will see the streets lines up with taxi’s waiting to take the club people back to their hotels – most people I saw (ALL ages couldn’t even see straight never mind be able to tell the driver what hotel to go to).

Maybe this hotel is known for club goers wanting to get their Baja on in a drunken balivious manner and the ‘robber’s’ knew this hotel is prime to hit as they leave the balcony door’s open all the time.

Possibly the management never did anything because they are tired of hearing other guests complain about being robbed when in fact the lost there money parting at the nearby clubs (sort of like the little boy who cried wolfso amy times).

When I’m on vacation – I like to feel comfortable leaving my belongings behind never the less I EXPECT to be safe while in my hotel room with the balcony door open. We always make sure the balcony door is locked when we leave and I even locked it when I took a shower and my husband was out of the room. But when I was alone in my room I ALWAYS had my balcony door open so I could enjoy the sound of the crushing ocean – that’s what I came on vacation for.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

I leave ours open all night also, but then I haven't stayed right in town.........yes-it's been a good property for the young, party crowd, at least that's what we book for them. Don't get a lot of the young party crowd any longer, am guessing they book everything on the net.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

I think the reason we all questioned the validity of the post by mcoelho was that it didn't name the hotel at all, and they never came back to correct it after we questioned it. Since we have been hit by these types before it seemed logical that we were hit once again.

I feel bad that we didn't trust, but now having read the post it makes sense what they were saying....and again, we need those posts for future travelers (and ourselves) to be more aware.

Thank you mcoelho for getting it out there by putting it in the review....we finally found out why you were soooo upset. This topic will surface again and again as questions come up in future posts regarding the Tesoro.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

Excellent post, Atti! I definitely agree, and am most glad to have seen the review to clarify things.

STL
Level Contributor
401 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mcoelho71 and The Tesoro Hotel

Truly a sad story!

(Since everyone is on edge over this, let me state I am in no way blaming this family, they were the victims here.)

I hope everyone will use this as a reminder that while we are on vacation, we still need to be aware of our safety. I always make it a point to check door and window locks and have changed several rooms because the sliding door to the patio would not lock correctly.

Be safe and have fun!