We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Spent last week in Cabo and it was FANTASTIC!!! We stayed at the One and Only Palmilla for the first several days (hubby's company paid for it, thankfully!) and then moved over to the Hilton for the remainder of the trip. What can I say about the Palmilla? Simply – I’ve never been so pampered in my entire life! They cater to your every need (almost uncomfortably so, though we did manage to adapt to it! LOL!). Accommodations were exceptional and the food was fantastic! We could never afford it on our own so it was a nice treat that we enjoyed to the fullest!

Dinner on the beach the first night there, and then off to Tequila’s in San Jose del Cabo the second night. The food at Tequila’s was good with a cozy atmosphere and impeccable service. We hit the Giggling Marlin later in the week and hubby and his friend were “caught” there. Also swung by Cabo Wabo but it was early (before the action started) so snapped a few pics and left. Spent some time at the marina (hubby loves boats) and of course did a fair amount of shopping. Ended up buying Cabo Wabo for our 22 yr old son at a place called Tequila House. Great price and the guy who runs it was so nice. Took us up and down the tequila aisle talking about the different kinds of tequila, what’s “true” tequila (Cabo Wabo is not, in his opinion! Haha!), how it’s made, etc. We spent about 20 minutes with him – it was great!

The highlight of the trip for my hubby was the 800' zip lines across the canyons. He LOVED that! I took a pass and chose to lay by the pool at the resort instead. Yes, I’m a coward!

Since the majority of the trip was company-sponsored, we were a bit limited to what we could do on our own. Hubby had to attend a couple of meetings, so I spent most of my time by the pool or walking along the beach. Fine by me – give me sea and surf and I’m a happy girl.

The only downside to the trip was that we watched a man die on the beach at the Hilton on Thursday (5/9). I had left the pool to fetch my hubby from the room for lunch and noticed someone way out in the sea. They really warn against swimming there anyway, and it was a very rough day. Red flags were out and no water sports due to the wind and rough seas, so I couldn’t figure out how this guy got out there. I noticed some folks along the shore waving to him and holding up a life preserver. Our hotel had a telescope on the balcony, so I looked to see if he was just someone trying to ride a few waves or was in trouble. I must say I wish I’d not looked as his face is burned in my mind. He was definitely in trouble. He looked exhausted, was gasping for breath, and really struggling to get to shore. It was too rough for anyone to go get him and he was really far out. After what seemed like an eternity the waves pushed him close enough to shore that someone went in, life preserver in hand, and pulled him to the shore. By then he was unconscious and his heart must have stopped as they began administering CPR. Eventually some paramedics(?) arrived, took over the CPR, gave him and IV, and worked on him for awhile - sadly, to no avail. After about 30 min totaly they covered him up and carted him away. It was something I hope I never have to witness again. We did not let it ruin our trip but it certainly put a damper over the entire pool/beach area for the rest of the afternoon.

Bottom line – we had a great time and can’t wait to go back when we can spend more time there and do more exploring on our own. We were both struck by how friendly everyone was there. They seemed to really welcome us to their country and made us feel right at home.

??(I posted pics in my profile but they don't seem to be up yet for some reason.)??

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Glad you had a great time. It doesn't get ant better than the Palmilla.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Yikes.....I was hoping for more trip report and less bad news..... :O

Liked the first part I must say...

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Glad to hear about the great trip, sorry to hear about what you witnessed that day. Someone posted about the incident on the forum many TA'ers sent their sympathies as well.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

mlschless,

Thanks for sharing, the Pics must be up and they looked great. The report was very good as well, just sorry you had to experience the Hilton incident.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

THanks for the trip report. Sound like you were enjoying the life of luxury. Now you rnext trip to Cabo you will have to get out more and enjoy the simple pleasures of Cabo (i.e. Gordo LeLe's wonderful taco's. ;) Anxious to see your pictures.

Alamo, California
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Thanks for sharing your Cabo experience!

Looks like we were in Cabo for a few of the same days. Are you as ready to go back as we are?? :)

My heart hurts for the family of the drowning victim. I cannot imagine what he went through or what his family is going through now...

Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

Really enjoyed the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

<<<Looks like we were in Cabo for a few of the same days. Are you as ready to go back as we are?? :)>>>

You betcha! We didn't have near enough time there, especially since the first few days required my hubby to go to morning business meetings. Blech. We definitely want to visit again. So beautiful, peaceful, and friendly there!

9. Re: Trip Report - 8/5-8/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 02:16