We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paranoid dad: stonefish

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
paranoid dad: stonefish

Hey All,

I'm heading to San Jose Del Cabo with a 6 and 9 year old. We're planning on doing some snorkeling on the East Cape. Does anyone know if this is stonefish territory? I'm planning on getting good reef shoes for the family, but I've read the stonefish's barbs can penetrate even reef shoes. I'm trying to assess the risk and would really appreciate any firsthand information.

Thanks very much!

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

well the stonefish is the most venomous fish in our waters, they are common even here in cabo, but don't think a fish that attacks, they are a sit and wait predator, hence the name stonefish.. the common species here are the are a fish that will sit on a rock and do nothing.. they are good photo fish, they will believe they are undetected and so you can get really close to them... there is the problem they won't move, when they feel threatened they will raise their dorsal fins where the spines are located. references say this is the most toxic of the FISH venom... they are here in our waters, i do see plenty on my dives but i wouldn't make it a major concern to not go snorkelling, and its good practice to not walk on the reefs.. there are sand ribbons everywhere, and when walking in the water, push your feet in the water and not lift then put them down... this will avoid the back spines... i have carried on a bit, but i hope this doesn't turn you away from our wonder world here underwater.. if you want to know more just message me.. cheers..

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,018 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

Wow! This is great information! Thanks!!!

NH
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

I've been looking at stonefish in wikipedia-also followed all the links etc. I see no mention of stonefish in the baja, or mexico, or central america or south america. It seems they are native to asian and polynesian and australian waters. I wonder if any other people out there have seen them in baja waters???? I'd research that a bit more before ditching your snorkle plans.....

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

We've seen them many times in Cozumel but not ever in Cabo...........yet!

maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

Hey All,

Based on what I've seen it looks like I'll probably see stonefish in the waters in Baja, but the risk probably falls into the 'be careful, but still have fun' category.

When snorkeling in the area, do most people go right off the beach (at Playa Chileno, for example) or is it a better idea to go off a boat or kayak? It looks like the greatest risk from stonefish and stingray is in the shallows. I'm not too worried about myself but I'm trying to have find the right balance between sheer terror and appropriate caution when it comes to my kids.

Thanks,

hounddog

6. Re: paranoid dad: stonefish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 05:45