We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are vouchers really worth it?

Saccramento, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Are vouchers really worth it?

I checked some of the menus for restaurants in the voucher program. They seem to be some of the higher prices in Cabo. We like smaller local restaurants when we're in PV (first trip to Cabo) so wondering if it is worth it for us to buy vouchers? If so, what are some of the restaurants the local experts recommend? We'll be in Cabo November 10-17, so need to order these ASAP. Thanks.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,452 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

They are definitely an excellent deal! Here is the list Trapper has put together, and keeps updated!

TRAPPERS RESTAURANT LIST

Here is the OCTOBER list of my favorite restaurants. All are with-in walking distance or a short taxi ride of the inner harbor.

MACOMBO’S- seafood- simple deco, great prices and excellent food-up Vicaro St. from D.T. $$

PEPE’S- Mexican-across from the mall $$

ZAPATA’S- Mexican- across from the mall $$

STOP LIGHT CAFÉ- very good food and great people watching-next to Squid Roe. $$

CRAZY LOBSTER- cheap seafood and the cheapest tequila shot in Cabo-Hildago St $ DINNER $$

SLEEPLESS LOBSTER- $2.00 omelets $5.00 lobster omelets-behind Squid Roe $ DINNER $$

SPENCER’S- $2.50 breakfast-in the Mar De Cortez hotel. $$

MISSION DE KINO’S- excellent seafood –up the dirt road next to Mar De Cortez hotel $$

EL CORAL- excellent daily specials- across from Tesoro Hotel $$

TACO LOCO- 4 tacos and a beer $7.00- next to RIP’S $

MAMMA’S- excellent breakfast, little expensive (Felix’s in the evening)-Hildago St. $$

FELIX’S- Mexican-40 types of salsas (Mommas in the morning)- Hildago St. $$

LA DOLCE- Italian-Hildago St. $$

MI CASA- Mexican-can run hot or cold- $$$

PANCHO’S- Mexican-500 different types of tequila -Hildago St $$$

LA GOLONDRINA- outdoors with great food but Expensive-near ME Melia Cabo hotel $$$$

GARDENIA’S- great Taco’s especially fish tacos-behind Mc Donalds $

SOLOMON’S- excellent seafood & great people watching- on the inner harbor $$$

TANGA TANGA- 15 peso beers, 15 Peso tacos and 20 Peso mixed drinks- next to the Tesoro Hotel $

NIK SAN- GREAT sushi -behind Tanga Tanga $$$$

LENNY’S DELI-New York style deli , great sandwiches with all the fix’ns-love the pickles-across from City Club. $+

BAJA CANTINA- inner harbor just down from Solomon’s (also on Medano Beach) $$$

GORDO LELE’S- Best tacos in Cabo - small stand easy to miss- on Vincente Gurerro

1 block up from Marina Blvd. A MUST stop $

RIP’S BAR- No food just a GREAT meeting place- Next to TACO LOCO. $+

SALVATORE’S- Great Italian food, large portions, moderate prices. May be the BEST Italian food in Cabo.( in the Siesta Suites Hotel) $$

EL PESCADOR- Don’t let the looks fool you. Only seafood, but fresh and GREAT - Across the street from the Sleepless Lobster. $$

EL POLLO DE ORO- Great ribs and chicken, CAN NOT beat the prices.-Corner of Morelos and 20 de

Noviembre. $$

SUNSET GRILL- Excellent food with a GREAT view of Lands End- top of the Cabo Villas Hotel. $$$

ON MEDANO BEACH

BILLYGAN’S ISLAND- average food but 2x1 drinks all day

MANGO DECK- just ok but great beach action.

ON THE CORRIDOR

LATITUDE 22 ROAD HOUSE-Gringo type restaurant –burgers, ribs, and sandwich’s-good old fashion PUB food. On the corridor behind Costco towards San Jose. $$

VILLA SERENA- Sweeping ocean view with above average food-Lobster specials, worth a try. About 5 miles from Cabo toward San Jose on the right hand side. $$

PUERTA VIEJA-Great view of the desert and Sea of Cortez-sit on the patio and enjoy an excellent menu with many specials-right hand side past the Costco gas station on the way to San Jose. $$$

GOING TO OR COMING FROM TODO SANTOS

ART N BEER-km Marker 69 (easy to miss) on the left hand side going to T.S. Their drinks are a WORK of ART, their fresh seafood is to die for. This PLACE and I say that with the highest respect, is a DO NOT MISS. And as a bonus, you get a free beer to go. Only one warning, if you are driving back to Cabo, allow yourself enough time to get back, before DARK. $$$

PER PERSON

$=$6.00 $$=$10.00 TO $20.00 $$$=$20.00 TO $30.00 $$$$=$30.00 +++

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

Definitely worth it! We saved a lot. And they were pretty fast in giving us the refund for the ones we didn't use.

I'm not gonna list any restaurant recommendations since I used trapper's list too :).

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

Last Juluy I purchased $975.00 in vouchers at a cost of $693.00. Believe me these vouchers are a great deal. I purchased them for Puerta Vieja, Solomons Landing, Baja Cantina Dockside, Casa Rafael, Baja Cantina on Medano Beach and Panchos. I also purchased vouchers for the Jazz cruise on Tropicat and Mi Casa Restaurant.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

We bought about $800.00 in voucher's worth about $1100.00 for our family of 5. The vouchers are definetely worth it but make sure to do your research. Some of the restaurants are overrated IMHO

La Golondrina, Mi Casa and Baja Cantina my LEAST favorite.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

they are only worth it if you like to save money while your eating good food. I like to do both eat good and save money.

What I would suggest if you are a little unsure buy some for 2 different restaurants and give it a try. Trappers list is an awsome starting place

Saccramento, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

Thanks for the responses. Let me clarify what I'm asking. I found only four restaurants from Trapper's list that are available for vouchers, and these are the more expensive ones. So......I'm wondering if there are enough other restaurants (and there seem to be from Trapper's list) that are moderately priced that the vouchers wouldn't be necessary. Yes, we do like gourmet food, but we also enjoy the smaller restaurants with regional cuisine.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,452 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

The voucher are occasionally already gone for various restaurants, which my be what you are running into. There are many good restaurants that are reasonably priced, as per Trapper's list, and some of them have portions large enough to share if you aren't a big eater-like some of the meals at MiCasa.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

Some of the vouchers are hard to come by (the popular restaurants) or no longer available. I would call Gerry as well and see what she may have available that isn't on the website. Try a couple of the places out and then use Trapper's list to fill in the blanks that way you have a wide variety higher to moderate. But again, research your choices.

My voucher favorites were Baan Thai, Jazmins, Senor Sweets, La Casa Country. Ones I will try next time based on favorable reviews- Puerta Vieja, Pancho's,El Comal Soloman's, Pitahaya's.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

You can dine more cheaply if you stay away from the main strip and marina area. Places like La Fonda, Crazy and Sleepless Lobster to name a few are inexpensive and also serve great food. Look for places of the beaten path and you will find a few treasures. The vouchers are a great deal if the restaurants you want are participating in the program. Like others I bought over $1000 in vouchers and only returned $100 worth in the end. I will definetley use them this summer and will purchase even more this next time around.

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are vouchers really worth it?

Another restaurant on the lit that I found moderate prices and good food was Alexanders on the marina. My wife and I had a Chateaubriand for 2 for $42.00