We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

We ar leaving for Cabo in a couple weeks (can't wait!!). I'm dying to try Gordo's tacos and see the lion cub. Can anyone give us very specific directions from PB Blanco to both places? Also, do you think the water will still be warm in a couple weeks? Thank you

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

Find the Shrimp Factory(easy to find) on the corner of Blvd. Marina and Guerrero. Go up 11/2 blocks on Guerrero. Gordo Lele's is on the left right before a church. Remember it is very small and easy to pass by. Stay on the left hand side of the road.

The lion cubs are on the Marina Walk fairly close to Solomons Landing as I remember. If you walk along the MWalk you will see it.

Have a great time!! :-)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

You may not want to go see the lion cub. The Gringo Gazette reported a couple of issues back that it was a big scam and that they've already had three of the lion cubs die. They also said the cubs were being sedated (drugged) so that they'd be easier for people to handle during photography.

I was heartsick to hear this because we took a photo with the cub in June. :(

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

That is so sad! Makes me mad!!! :-(

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

I would still like more info on the lion cubs if any local out there could find out for us. When I had my photo taken with one last week he was very fiesty and hard to hold. I would hope that the reason that they are so tired is that baby cats of any kind usually sleep 20-22 hours a day.

If they are drugged or mistreated in any way I would be so mad! Like I said in another post the woman working there seemed so proud of the work they were doing at the animal reserve and even had a photo album showing her "husband" and their vet friend working there. I would love more info!

DM, do you remember which edition of the Gringo Gazette it was in. I would be willing to pay for a subscription to read that article.

Sandy

CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

Thank you very much for the directions. That's very sad about the cubs. If that's truly the case, I won't take my daughters over there.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,013 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

Do you suppose the people that run the shop in the "flintstone mall" that donate to the SPCA would have any info one the cubs?

The Big Chicken
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

If you want a true experience holding, taking pictures and playing w/ baby lion cubs the place you need to visit is T.I.G.E.R. Animal Preserve in Myrtle Beach, SC.

It's a once in lifetime experience. Very expensive but well worth it.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

I read it while I was in Cabo for the tournament. It wasn't the current edition... it was the edition that was being replaced with the current edition. So, I suspect it came out in September or October. I'm sure if you email the Gringo Gazette, they'll let you know.

Basically, it was a letter to the GG from a reader who was complaining about the whole scam. GG's response was that they, the local authorities, and the local humane society were all aware of it and that three cubs had died and that the local authorities have no intention of shutting them down. So, it wasn't a fullblown article about it... maybe GG did do an article on it in the past... who knows.

All I know is that when I read that I felt sick to my stomach.

Since the 'reserve' that they're supposedly giving the money to isn't in Cabo, how would a Cabo local be able to verify it anyway? They'd have to contact the supposed beneficiary of the funds to confirm it. And, even if it were legitimate, since everyone pays in cash and there's no accountability for it (it's not like they are ringing it up on a register, charging you IVA, or otherwise keeping track of the cash they're taking in), how much of that loose cash do you think actually makes it to the intended beneficiary, asssuming it's on the up-and-up?

Does Mexico keep track of charities the way the U.S. does? If so, then maybe that's one way to find out, I suppose. Sounds like something a reporter would research... did GG research it? I don't know... they seemed to imply that they have in their response to the letter. Also, maybe the local Cabo Humane Society would know?

TX
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

Dear God ... I was wondering about the whole "lion cub scoop" this morning, so did a search and found this. I'm just sickened to know that the precious little cub I held last year has likely died. I understand the desire to make money, but at the expense of innocent beings such as this ... there are no words.

I had my photo made holding the iguana wearing the little sombrero on the marina a couple of weeks ago. Afterward, my husband noticed that the iguana's tail was much shorter than normal. I excused myself to the banos, and when I returned, my husband told me that he'd witnessed the iguana's handler violent swing the creature around by what was left of its tail. Yet another photo that I thought was probably "innocent" that will make me more than a little uneasy when I look at it from now on.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gordo Lele's and the lion cub

I've never noticed any of the iguana handlers being mean to their iguanas. The iguanas are their money-makers, so it behooves them to take great care of them. All the ones that I've seen look fat and cared for, and I've never witnessed them being mishandled.

I'm so sorry your husband had to witness that. I would be very disturbed and upset, too. I hope you said something to the owner of the iguana.