We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

Hi guys.

Just booked a 5night stay @ Riu Santa Fe for mid Jan with another couple. Price we got out of Vancouver BC to Cabo was $2700 per couple, (hotel/airfare/taxes all in) @ Santa Fe or $2975 at the Palace. We opted for Santa Fe since it was brand new and it seemed like a promotional price. Have not seen to much pics or reviews @ Santa Fe and am curious to see if this was a good pick over Palace. Palace seems to be getting strong reviews recently. I have a hotel change clause which will allow me to change hotels for a small fee before a certain date.

Any advice/input from people who have recently just came back from Santa Fe or the Palace? For $275 per couple is it worth the switch back to Palace?

I have been informed that you can use ammenties/services @ Santa fe if you are a Palace guest but not vice versa. Can you use Palace ammenties with a wristband flip as I have read on forum?

Otherwise can we just sit around the Palace pools/bars with our own drink glasses if we are Santa Fe guests?

Finally are the grounds/pools/service etc much better @ the Palace compared to Santa Fe?

Your input/info will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
8,420 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
#3 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
#5 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo Vista Hotel
Cabo Vista Hotel
#6 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

How did you get a five night stay out of Canada? Sunquest has the Canadian Riu rights and I've never heard of them doing anything other than 1, 2 or 3 week stays. Or did you book resort thru Rius and air separately?

Haven't stayed at either Riu in Cabo but will be back to the Riu Palace Mexico on Sunday for 5th time (8th and 9th weeks) and there is no way non-Palace guests would be able to hang around the RPM pools or bars/lounges. Couple of times when the beach was really busy security was moving non-Palace guests from the loungers as well. You may try the wristband flip but don't be disappointed if you get turned away. In Playa Del Carmen the Palaces bands are white both sides. Non Palace resorts bands are mushroom coloured both sides.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

I think that Bob is correct Sekhon..If you are not a palace guest they will not allow you to use any of the facilities there.When are you going in jan. I am going from the 5th to the 19th at the palace???

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

The Palace is nicer.

We just got back from the Santa Fe and have stayed at the Palace.

The rooms at the Santa Fe are very basic and not at all luxe.

Right now the Santa Fe has just opened and service is fast as there are so few people there. Wtih 900 rooms things may change when it gets busy. Days at the Santa Fe revolve more around the pools and one of the main pool areas is away from the beach area in the resort middle without any view.

The only thing better at the Santa Fe was the 3 large swim up bars.

For $55 a night the Palace is a better deal.

We would not go back to the Santa Fe even though we liked it because the Palace is better.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

I like the fact that the Santa Fe is new. I have read alot of mixed reviews about some of the rooms not being very nice in fact some said they were a little run down. The thing that has always drawn me to the Rius is the service. At any Riu I have stayed at the service is always been good and the stafff usually will go out of their way for you. The rooms have been okay. I stayed at the Palace in Punta Cana and had a suite, It was okay. It was not luxurious but it was nice. The food at the Rius in my opinion is usally very good. As long as the room is clean and the maid service is good, then I dont have any problem with that. I will usally go for a Riu when given the choice.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

Meant to say that the rooms at the Palace were supposedly not that great from reviews that I have read.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

we have stayed at 4 rius, 1 place and 3 non palace. honestly the only dif wa sthe room service and champagne. other than that , the food & service & decor & drinks,.... are identical. I even think our room ar regular riu puerto vallarta was bigger than our room in palace punta cana, and they had better brand alcohol. it depends what is important to you...we are going to riu santa fe in dec. i am sure it will be nice.

Dallas,Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

We just finished a stay at Santa Fe 22 - 27, Nov. We did go to the palace and had drinks. the palace is very nice. If you stay at Santa Fe and your in building 7 it is a long walk to your eating facility. However, the steak house is located in building 7 but only open in the evenings with a reservation. Friends of ours got kicked out of the Palace disco doing the wrist flip thing. Building 7 is the ocean view building, the rest of the buildings sit behind building 7 and the palace. The other buildings are closer to the eating facilities and lobby of course. The rooms at the palace are bigger and nicer but Santa Fe is adequate. Be sure and use the safe, they have a problem with security. Hope this helps. We booked through cheapcaribbean.com for 5 days for air fare from Dallas, all inclusive for 1,600.00. Overall great presentation and packaging but, not the best gift under the tree.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

Great Post Radeaver. My wife and I have the same exact deal from Charlotte, NC through Cheapcarribean, and we are going Dec. 5th-10th. What airport transportation did you use and

were they easy to find? We have that included in our package, just

haven't looked at the details yet. Did you get a water taxi at all, and if you did, where did you get it? We have some excursions planned for Thursday & Saturday, so I was just trying to plan everything. Did the night club at Santa Fe get any busier?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

water taxi's, waverunners and parasailing can all be got in front on the beach, this time of year the waves are very small so boarding is fine, althought sometimes it can be..... colourful

10. Re: Riu Santa Fe/Riu Palace?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:17