We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

I flew out of LAX yesterday via Frontier Airlines, with my mom and my 9-year old daughter. For those who are divorced/single parents and the other parent isn't in the child's life I have some good news: Frontier doesn't require a notarized letter from the other parent (which is great for me, because I can't locate her father to obtain it). As long as the child has a passport (which both parents are supposed to apply for, however I was able to sign a notarized document that the other parent abandoned, and I got her passport in 14 days). I was really nervous that they weren't going to let her on the plane, even had my dad circling the airport waiting in case he needed to pick her up.

Anyway, flight was easy, going through the shark-tank was actually fun since I knew what to expect thanks to all you TA'ers. One the the timeshare guys tried to ask me if I needed transportation, I abruptly told him NO, and he said, "Oh, you know how to play the game, don't you?" I smiled and kept walking. We used Faro Nuevo transportation, recommended by our hotel, and he was great. $40 roundtrip for myself and $40 for my mom, and my daughter was free. We had the van all to ourselves as the other couple he was waiting for didn't show...maybe they got bitten by the sharks?!?

Our driver stopped at the bank at my request so that I could transfer traveler's checks to pesos. Boy am I glad I had pesos to pay for the little things, as you definitely end up ahead of the game. However, the bank didn't quite give 11 to 1, it was 10.76 per dollar.

Checking into the Los Milagros hotel was very easy, however it was strange because Sandra was nowhere to be found. She had a very sweet Mexican lady here though, who spoke not a single word of English. I later found out that Sandra took the week off to go to the US and visit family (good for you, Sandra!). She came back late in the evening, rushed upstairs to our patio area, and greeted me. Oh and this bears mentioning, Los Milagros Hotel has free internet access which is why I brought my laptop and am able to write this report! I am relaxing on the second floor patio, the weather is beautiful, and I am sipping on coffee that Sandra made for all the guests.

Today we plan on going to either Spencer's or Mammas for breakfast, then taking a snorkeling tour to Santa Maria Bay. I am so excited and happy to be here!

Oh, one last thing: Yesterday I tried Gordo Lele's yummy carne asada tacos, and the 3 for $5 beers at El Patio, then later my daughter and I ate dinner at El Pescador. OUTSTANDING fish, very very clean restaurant, good chips and guacamole, great margarita. When I was unable to finish my margarita my server nicely put it into a red solo cup for the walk back to the hotel.

I'll post more later when I've been able to do some tours. Today I think I've decided that the snorkel tour will be with Sunrider, and I haven't yet picked who our ATV operator will be.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Julie

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

It really depends on who is checking you in -- some airline employees are by the book, and some have no clue and won't even ask you. When my son was still a minor, I had the notorized letter but it didn't list the dates of our trip on it so they wouldn't accept it. Luckily, his dad lives near me and actually came to the airport to sign another document that the airline had prepared by their on-site notary (which cost us $20.00).

So, I would recommend that no one count on being able to leave the country without the letter. If you're going to try it, I would highly recommend buying travel/vacation insurance that would give you your money back if you were denied boarding and were unable to go on vacation.

BTW - If your child is abandoned or there are some other circumstances that would prevent you from getting a notarized letter from the missing parent, I would highly recommend that you hire and attorney and file the paperwork with the Courts asking that you be given full custody or at least a Court document that will allow you to travel abroad with your child. Being unable to locate a missing parent is, unfortunately, pretty common these days, and the Courts do have ways to deal with it. Just a thought...

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

Julie,

thanks for the great information. im so glad your having a good time! send more when time allows. Buena Suerte........ jim

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

It looks like your vacation is of to a good start. Hope the rest of your vacation is very enjoyable. Look forward to your trip report form the balance of your stay.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

Glad your trip was super, and that all went well without the letter!

DM has valuable info posted however, and she is "right on" with that . So, if anyone is considering not getting that letter, please do re-consider, as you may not be allowed to board.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

PC; sounds like a great start to the trip! I haven't stayed at los Milagros for several years, but I did enjoy it when I stayed there. And El Pescador is my latest "find' for good reasonable eats:) Have a great rest of your trip...

Orange County, CA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

Thanks for the info, DM Walker. The thing is though, I was down at the courthouse, filing my paperwork for sole custody,and I called Frontier Airlines. The woman specifically said that Frontier stopped requiring the letter of consent in December 2005. I then called the day before the trip, and asked another Frontier rep and she said she just dealt with this with another single mom and the same thing, no notarized letter is required by Frontier. I am not saying they won't change their policy, as I read that another airline was sued in 2006 by the non-custodial dad whose ex-wife (custodial parent, but Mexican natiional) took their daughter to Mexico without his permission. I just hope they'll let me back without a problem. Boy would I be eating my words if my daughter and I were stuck in Cabo, and had to book a flight to TJ and then drive over the border..HA!

We just spent the day snorkeling with Oceanus Tours after we found out that Sunrider cancelled for the day as it was windy. Oceanys had the most fun snorkel cruise I have EVER been on...there were a lot of cruise ship folks, an open bar, a bunch of kids for my daughter to play with, and she participated in a dance contest whick was a bunch of fun! Boy my 9-year old's got way more game than I do at 31! hehehe

We're trying to figure out where to go for dinner. I heard on TA that there is a fiesta at Solmar, we might try that. We ate breakfast at Mama's, very good, but $41 for breakfast for three, damn!

I'll post more later. The weather is lovely now, maybe 80 with scattered clouds...I am writing this after margaritas and Dos Equis, so pardon my misspellings!

Cheers!

Julie

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

The Fiesta on Sat. night at Solmar is fun, and the food has always been quite good! It is buffet style, but there are a zillion choices!

As for Frontier, I'd say that people should still have the letter, just to be on the safe side. Here is a copy of one of the many sites on this.

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

No, not your American Express card - proper documentation to leave the country. Most people are aware that you need a passport for yourself and your child as well as a visa to enter some countries, but many people are not aware that you also need additional documentation when entering foreign countries as a single adult traveling with a minor child. Not only is this an issue for single parents, but ANY parent or adult traveling out of the country alone with a minor child or children.

So what is the required additional documentation? The answer is, it depends. Not only do documentation requirements change based on your destination and how you enter the country (sea, land, or air), but also it changes based on the whim of the airline, cruise and customs officials. Our advice: err on the side of over-documentation. We recommend a notarized letter of consent from the other parent of your child. (We include an example on our site.) Some countries, like the UK, do not require it for arrival by air, but laws may change at the last minute, so double check before departure. Call the consulate of your destination. Remember to tell them how you are entering the country: by air, sea or land. It makes a difference.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

I hit "submit" before I added that our office ran into this just a few months ago, and the child was not allowed to board, so the vacation was ruined.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

PC,

Go across the street from Mama's to Crazy Lobster, great cheap eats, lobster omellettes for around $5 and great bloody mary's.

Sounds like your having a great time, look forward to more reports

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report-11/23...no notarized letter needed

crazy lobster also has great lunches for cheap and good food