We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's cheques or cash?

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveller's cheques or cash?

Hi,

I usually travel with cash but I am considering some traveller's cheques as well. Which is better to travel with in Cabos? Are Traveller's cheques generally accepted everywhere? Can I cash them in at the resort (i.e., Riu Santa Fe)? Is there a fee for cashing them in at the hotel or anywhere else? Do you get USD or pesoes? Can you request USD?

Thanks!

Port Angeles, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

Hey,

I take a few hundred dollars in one's, five's and tens. Then I used my ATM card (my bank re-imburses up to $150/month of transaction fees--even when used out of the country) for whatever else I needed. I think most ATM's dispense peso's but the one in our hotel (Finisterra) let you choose if you wanted peso's or dollars.

Small bills are handy for tipping etc. The locals love our dollars. Last trip I didn't get any peso's, I only had them when they were given to me as change.

I used my Capital One credit card for meals and larger purchases because there's no foreign transaction fees. Check all of your receipts carefully. Most receipts will show your total in both peso's and dollars--don't goof and fill in the wrong spot!

I've never used Traveler's Checks. But I didn't experiment with the vouchers found on LosCabosGuide and was very pleased. Put it in the search bar here and you'll get some great info.

Have fun!

Michelle

Port Angeles, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

Sorry, that should say I DID try the vouchers, and will do that again, for sure!

whoops!

west virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

i have been to cabo over 30 times and one trip stopped in vegas to play and won big, stayed at the melia cabo which is now the me melia and put $4000.00 in the front desk safe when i went to retrieve some money found that someone had removed a $1000.00 from the envelope the hotel did replace it, that has been the only theft in cabo for me will be coming to the riu santa fe arriving jan 20 have heard that they have had some problems so if you bring cash its always a good idea to keep all valubles in your room safe, if this is your first time to cabo if you like steak you should try the brazil steak house "fantastic" have a great time

cabo joe

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

We bring a combination of cash and travelers checks and only use a credit card at our resort. Playa Grande cashes travelers checks for no fee but will only give you pesos. The American Express kiosk in the Tesoro resort cashes them for US dollars for a small fee which is where we usually go.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

We also take a combination of cash, travelers checks and credit cards. We carry some cash when we get there, leave the travelers checks in the safe, get pesos at the ATMs and use the credit card to pay the final bill at the resort.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
982 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

Have always brought cash and travelers checks. No problems cashing them and no fee. You may get US or a combination of US and Pesoes.

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

I ususally just take cash but I make sure I stock up on the vouchers from Los Cabos Guide. Last year I purchased about $975.00 in vouchers which cost me a little over $600.00 whic is an unbelievable deal.

Emmetsburg, Iowa
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

We use traveler's checks and cash and have never had a problem cashing the traveler's checks, even at eating establishments. We take a credit card but only use it to pay at the end if we have anything charged to our room. We try not to use the credit card away from the resort just because of the fraud issue. Have fun.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

Gosh, thanks for all the replies.

Another question, how much cash should I take if I am going to do a combination of traveller's cheques and cash? I guess I am asking, what is the maximum you would recommend?

west virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveller's cheques or cash?

it all depends on how much time you plan on spending outside the resort. in side the resort i always bring $50 to $100 in dollar bills to tip other than that i wouldn't take anymore than $500 to $600 in cash and the use the travelers checks for backup also i have used my debit card at atms for years and have never had a problem. just keep in mind that atms disperse pesos so just time it out so that you use all your peso first before you leave.