We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, Part 1

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
886 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, Part 1

Flew Alaska, no problem, except a bit late taking off from SF connection. They asked for 2 people to get bumped and get free round-trip tickets and just get in a few hours later. Was tempted, but I didn't really believe their promise. Otherwise I might have.

Took the Baja Ground Services transfer from airport to hotel, $35 for 2 people roundtrip. Arranged by web. No problem. Came back on toll road, which I had never done before.

Activities:

1) Solmar Fiesta saturday night. Surprisingly high quality/variety of food. Mexican pop singer, not local, has CD's out. Not bad, would help if I understood more spanish. There's just so much mexican folk dancing I can take, but still an enjoyable experience.

2) Sunset/booze cruise Sunday night. Decided on a rowdier cruise, picked the Jungle Cruise boat. We were older than anyone on the cruise by at least 15 years. Hurried 20-something (and teens, I suppose) mating rituals was interesting to watch, although might be somewhat distasteful to some. People our age (40-something) might pick another booze cruise, such as pez gato.

But had a good time, although I confess I prefer the AC/DC, etc., to newer stuff. Didn't drink that much. It was said aloud that it was wondered if we were on the right boat, concerning our ages. But we showed them a little bit of old-school partying, perhaps teaching them something.

2 girls said near the end that they wanted us to adopt them. We met up with them after dinner at Cabo Wabo and danced, but disowned them when one passed out at Wabo. Oh well.

3) ATV tour. Started north of cabo off of HW 19. Through desert paths, then onto the beach. A lot of fun, but for those with the need for speed, most of the time you only go as fast as the slowest rider, so it may not be right for you. Still quite enjoyable, and you get 30 mins or so at the end to ride by yourself and your partner, friends, etc.

One thing is when I was signing in and paying, they said if I paid with a credit card then I would have to pay with a peso rate that cost me, I think, about $20. So I'm sure that was a scam to get more moeny out of me, which I don't appreciate, but fell for.

So anyway, 4 stars for enjoyment, 1 star for service and honesty.

Restaurants next!

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo Wabo
Cabo Wabo
5,088 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Thank you, looking forward to part 2!

Alamo, California
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Thanks for your report. I enjoyed reading about your activities, and it sounds like you had a good time. Partiers of all ages and speeds can definitely have a good time in Cabo.

I look forward to hearing about your meals. Thanks again for sharing your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Colorado
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Hey Joe,

It was great hanging out with you and Jackie. Just remember 8675309. Next trip planned for October!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Excellent! Thank you...........and also waiting for the next installment! Glad to hear the food at the Fiesta is still good!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Thanks for the report. BTW - The "pay in cash" rate is usually cheaper because they don't claim the $$ as income and, therefore, don't have to pay the tax for it (IVA). If you pay with a credit card, then they (and you) must pay an additional 10% tax. So, that's probably what the extra $20 was for... perhaps your car rental was around $200 and so the 10% was $20? Just a thought...

Sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to part II.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Joe,

Enjoyed reading your report.

Looking forward to the restaurant reviews!

Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Great report, the feedback is great especially for a Cabo first timer. I'm hoping we will like Sol Mar and Cabo as much as our other Mexico resort travels.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

If any of you are going on the Booze cruise, dont pay the $35, because $15 are actually comission for whoever makes your reservation, instead, try to get their phone number and talk to them directly, and tell them you know about those $15 dollars... :)

Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

A lot of people feed their families with the comissions they make selling activities. ure you can save a few dollars here and there by cutting out the middle man, but is that such a big deal?

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, Part 1

Two add-ons:

We took a glass-bottom boat tour that dropped us off for an hour on Lover's Beach, and then picked us back up. I would strongly reccommend this. The tour is about 45 minutes, taking you to positions and angles to things like the Arch that are much closer and more interesting than any Sunset Cruise. The sight of fish, etc., through the glass bottom is fleeting (unavoidably, as you might guess), but still cool. They will drop you off at a different site than you left from, if you wish.

Signed up at a booth near Billagins, $12 per person.

Went snorkling at Chilano Beach (a little down the Corridor). Quite fun, lots of friendly tropical fish. I'm a big believer in wearing a life vest out there (we packed our own), so then it's less like work, you just float around all you want. The most fish, I found, is right off-shore; I kept looking for more in other places and while you see some good stuff, it doesn't compete wtih the fish that you immediately see 20 yards after you get in. Tuck tortillas into you vest to feed them, if you want more, closer fish.

Rented snorkling equipment from Andromeda Divers, wooden building near Billagins. $10 per person per day. Santa Maria Beach is good too, and some people snorkel out near Lovers Beach

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria Beach
Santa Maria Beach
1,096 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico