We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Strike Alert

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi Strike Alert

I just heard word that there will be a strike by the transportation union in Cabo tomorrow. While strike action may be averted, it is probably a good idea for visitors to be aware of the situation.

Apparently, the transportation union in Cabo are preparing for a transportation strike in the airport parking areas

Effective tomorrow Wednesday June 25th. 2008

Why a strike?

Apparently, this group feels forgotten by the Federal Authorities in the state transportation dispute.

What is the transportation union plan?

Blocking all DMC transportation from entering the airport terminals to create chaos for all new guests arrivals.

Duration

5 to 10 days starting tomorrow at 10:00AM

How

They will park their whole fleet (220 vehicles and motor coaches) in and around all airport parking + streets

New arrivals status?

Only the taxi concessionaire based at the airport will be able to board and transfer guests (their fleet consist of 80 units including vans suburban's and town cars)

Will there be enough vehicles?

Not for ALL the guests arriving in los Cabos

Some of the DMC's are arranging for priority status and the manager of the taxi concession will arrange for arriving passengers to be transported to a neutral area for pick up.

Guests should be prepared to pay an additional $5 per person to the transportation company.

Return transportation for the hotels to the airport should not be affected. It's probably a good idea to leave for the airport 3 hours in advance of flight departure.

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

This is surprising considering that the Taxis already won in court. I wonder what more the union could possibly want!

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

the taxi unions want it all they want a monopoly on all the transportation for the hotels. they are greedy and stupid if this was your first time to cabo and found all this would you come back i don't think .the world economy is hurting cabo and they want all the money just not to share. dose any one have email for head of the tourist association in baja we need to fill his email box with complaints telling him we will not be coming to cabo

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

don't tip a taxi not one dime .these drivers make 4 to 8 dollrs a day and live off tips . they don't own these cabs a memeber of the city goverment dose and he hires the drivers .when the tips dry up word will climb the food chain. tell everone you see in cabo dont tip the drivers ..thank you dretcop for this post .i found it under another post.'' In the early years mexico was full of gentle, friendly, honest people. Now it is over run with drug lords, gangs, thugs and bullies. The taxi situation is just one more example of thugs pushing people around. Unions in Mexico are reminiscent of the mobs running the US unions in the 30's and 40's.

It's a shame because there are still some good people in Mexico

For someone to tell me that I can't hire a private car to go anywhere I want just rubs me the wrong way. I refuse to be bullied and this will be my last trip to Cabo. There are just too many other places in the world that appreciate tourists.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

Does this mean I have to take a Taxi to the hotel as well or just back to the airport at the end of my trip.

I am with apple, so hopefully they will take care of this.

Kat, any idea what apple is doing with this?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

Big article in current Gringo Gazette. Gadzooks.

Sockman, I hear you. I can't imagine what this will do to the tourism in Cabo. I wonder how it would be if tourists wrote to Govenor Narciso Agundez and complained. Or would it even matter.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

well, it looks like the rental companies will be getting more business. I'd rather pay more for a rental car then to cave into the taxi bully tactics

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

I agree - no tips for taxi drivers! But I take it one step further - boycott the taxis!

When the taxis started their stunts a few years ago with blocking the entrances to some hotels, I quit using them. I walk a lot in Cabo and if I really need transportation, I rent a car.

Boulder
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

And who is the winner in this? It looks like they aren't thinking this through, If you p### of the tourist why would they return? There are certainly other destinations that make travel easier. How can we let our disapproval be known?

Bakersfield, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

We're arriving on Thursday and have already made arrangements with Transcabo to be picked up at the airport. It sounds like it's going to be a mess. Any advice for us??

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Strike Alert

If I were a rental car company, I'd be jumping with glee because customers that don't normally rent a car will likely start doing so. And once they're used to renting a car instead of taking a taxi, they'll probably never go back to using taxis again.

Striking is one thing... but to inconvenience and hurt the very customers that they are trying to monopolize isn't going to work. Americans have very long memories when it comes to stuff like that.

Cabo is already going to be losing tourists due to the rising cost of airfare - and now they'll probably lose repeat visitors due to the taxi union's actions. By this time next year, I suspect Cabo is going to be hurting for tourist $$.