We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Cabo or not to Cabo

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
9 posts
Save Topic
To Cabo or not to Cabo

Hi there

We are a group of 6 in our 30's who are taking our annual vacation in Febuary. We have not booked yet, but have heard that Cabo is great.

We all like to enjoy a few drinks and good meals (but not party like girls gone wild!) and loooove the water. We have recently enjoyed holidays to Hawaii and Cancun - will this compare?

Is the weather okay in Feb? Any hotels close to the action that you suggest? A friend of ours has stayed at Villa Del Arco and said they liked it but would like any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

California
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

flooey- Los Cabos is amazing. But what I find amazing about Los Cabos may not fall into your category of amazing. I am not fond of downtown San Lucas... but clearly... there are thousands of people that love it... just like millions of people love Honolulu... and others simply never consider it. You can stay on the outskirts of San Lucas and get the benefits of the nightlife. If you need to be on Main Street BCS 24/7... then stay in San Lucas.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

You can't compare Cabo with the hawiian Islands or Cancun. Cabo is much smaller and more personable. You can walk pretty much everywhere in Cabo! There is one swimmable beach (Medano Beach). There are great bars and places to eat on the beach area as well as the marina area. The sand on the beach is not as fine as Cancuns' but you don't have all the people either! There are many great fun bars to go to in the down town area. Cabo is a great experience and lots to do or just relax. I say go to Cabo and find out for yourself! Read the posts on this forum and find out all you desire! Have fun! :)

Larry

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
573 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Cabo is different from Hawaii or Cancun ( been to both many times) The area is breathtaking, but to me its more about the people. If you like to interact with the locals and love the culture .. You will understand the true beauty of Cabo !!! Smaller area, laid back, just enough going on ... but not the hustle and bustle you find in Cancun and parts of Hawaii. Medano Beach has the most action.. Research your resorts they are pretty wide spread in ammenities. Luxury resorts to family owned quaint no TV resorts.... Just depends on what you want !!

The water is beautiful ... but remember its on the pacific side. so not like Cancun. Not many actual swimming areas. Lots to do on the water though.

Warm at night cool in the evenings in Feb.

I love to try new places.... I have traveled world wide.. Cabo caught my heart.

Good Luck on decisions !!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Good replies here. If you do want to be close to town, and don't need a swimming beach, check the properties on Solmar Beach. You have Playa Grande, Finisterra, Solmar and the TerraSol condos. They are all just a short walk (5-10 mins) from downtown, yet you don't feel like you are in the midst of all the action 24/7. Villa del Arco seems to be getting good reviews as well, and is also convenient, but perhaps a bit longer walk.

Alberta
Level Contributor
67 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

We were there in February of this year and while the sun is very warm during the day it gets very cool at night. Makes it uncomfortable to wear all those cute little evening outfits, really you feel like putting jeans and a hoodie on.

We did enjoy our week in Cabo but the things that would probably keep us from going back: very cool at night, mostly unswimmable beach and the constant timeshare people and peddlars.

I'm just putting this out there because many people on this board are completely in love with Cabo and that's great but doesn't give you an unbiased opinion. When I'm planning a trip I like to find out all the good and bad about a place so I can make an informed decision based on what is most important to me.

Before we went I did read that it was cool at night but it was cooler than I had expected. Good luck planning your trip!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Alberta, Cold!? We were there for the first time in January and my wife is always cold and she was fine most of the nights. She still wore skirts, dresses, etc at night. Some nights she brought something to cover her up (just in case) but for the most part it was beautiful weather. Not like you need a parka or something. I agree with most people that the people of Cabo are awesome. Very laid back and friendly atmosphere. Cant wait to back to Cabo, just booked for next January!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
573 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Its the same feel as the desert. Warm in the day and cool at night ! No humidity !!

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Hi, Feb is not the best time of year for Cabo. Can't compare to Hawaii or Cancun. Water is cold.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

Also, the changing weather patterns are making it hard to predict. I always take a wrap for the evenings (I'm there in Dec. and May) but this past May the winds blew so hard the Marina was closed, and it was the coldest I've ever been there. I do love it anyway, and since I'm rarely bothered by either the timeshare sharks or vendors, it works.

10. Re: To Cabo or not to Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 07:20