We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Got back from Cabo one week ago. Flew Alaska Air from San Diego with no problems. Picked up our car, got on the toll road and arrived at our home for the next 2 weeks - ME Cabo. Quick check in then off to the beach for a drink and people watching.

We have been coming to Cabo since 1984. We honeymooned at the Cabo Castel in San Jose, which is now the Best Western Posada Real. So we have done every tour, cruise, excursion, etc... So now, after twenty plus trips, we have settled into a routine we enjoy and we focus on only doing the things we truly love doing.

Every morning my husband would drive to Costa Azul and surf at either Old Man's or The Rock. He gets re-aquainted with all the locals and ex-pats he sees every year there. He got some pretty good surf too. It was pretty consistent the entire time we were there. I believe he said Gerry lopez was even there. While he surfed, I drank tea and watched the fishing fleets head out for the day from our balcony. After that, I would go to the gym and work out every morning. Hubby returned each day around 10 am and then we would get ready for an excursion.

We spent 5 days kicking back at Acapulquito Beach. We brought umbrellas, chairs and a cooler, and ate sandwiches, fruit, and chips for lunch everyday. My husband would go on surf sessions, and I would swim, read, or just relax. We would beachcomb every afternoon. I found some nice shells on our walks to the Palmilla's beach. It takes about an hour to walk there and back. Lots of dead jellyfish on the sand too. We got stung a few times by the clear ones, but one morning my husband came back and had numerous aguamala stings that are extremely painful. They have super long blue tentacles and are nasty!! Avoid these at all costs.

We spent 2 wonderful Sundays at Chileno beach. Sundays are the best days to go if you want to see the beach come alive with local families frolicking in the surf. The water was green the first visit, but the next week the snokeling was great. I had a blow up inner tube I let some local borrow, and they were having the time of their life - that is until it popped.:( Next year, I'm going to bring a ton of float rings and give them all away. We beachcombed and walked towards the old Hotel Cabo San Lucas like we do every year, except this time there was a security guard that would not let us step on their beach. Let me tell you that made me very sad. One of my Chileno traditions is now over. :( Also, I teared up when I saw that the Twin Dolphin is GONE. I have pics from 1984 when we went to enjoy their pool. We visited that hotel many times over the years. So, so sad to see it leveled.

If you go to Chileno on a Sunday, you must arrive around noon at the very latest. You would not believe how packed the parking lot gets. Many cars were parked out on the old highway. Oh, and seaglass was plentiful for collectng.:)

Two of our vacation days were spent on the East Cape surfing at Nine Palms. It takes about an hour past La Playita to get there. I think it used to be a secret spot because in the early 90's, we would be the only ones out there. But now, it is packed!! They even have palapas permanetly planted on the beach. I noticed Shipwreck's also had these palapas. They are exactly like the ones at Chileno. There is mucho development going on in the East Cape.

The wind was blowing the first time we were there. My husband and I spent the morning exploring and relaxing. Some burros appeared and one was very friendly. He came right up to everyone's camp. He tried to steal my beach bag, but I grabbed tight and my husband forced him to let go.

With the surf blown out, my hyper husband got antsy, and decided to surf fish. He caught a flounder , which an ex-pat on the beach told us was very rare and that he was jealous of the catch. We gave the fish to one of our friends. He also caught the cutest little roosterfish. He let it go. He hooked another one but it got off. He did not go out on a fishing boat this year. He can usually coax one of his surf buds to go, but no one wanted to go this year. He heard the conditions weren't that great and he is pretty spoiled here at home fishing for tuna on his friend's boat so he wasn't too bummed.

We usually don't drive up the Pacific side (we've done it sooo many times) unless we hear there is surf. But we wanted to check out this secret spot a timeshare salesman at Gordo Lele's told us about. After a couple wrong turns, we found it, It was deserted and extremely beautiful just like the man described. Unfortunately, it was cold and foggy on the Pacific, so we did not stay long. We will definitely be back.

We spent 5 days relaxing at the ME. We like the beds on the beach that face Land's End. We would relax, read, walk all the way to the marina or to the Villa del Palmar and then go for a dip in the ocean, or the ME pool.

We had massages at Monique's which is on the road that the entrance to Cascadas and the PB Rose are located on. She is located on the second floor above the liquor store. She has a big sign. We got a discount and paid 35.00 per 1 hour massage because we booked 4 each. Remember to tip too.

We bought our groceries at Wal Mart. Yogurt, fruit, juice, Nutragrains, eggs, tortillas, salsa, and ham for breakfasts. Bread, chees, tuna, and chips for lunch. And of course, water, Coca Cola Light, and cerveza. Very convenient location for us.

We ate out most night.

We rotated these restaurants:

Costco - Pizza or a roasted chicken on Chileno Sundays.

Nick San- Great sushi - Habanero spicy tuna hand roll

Tsuki - Good sushi and sashimi salad

Baja Cantina Marina - ceviche and Mex. Combo

Baja Cantina Beach - Sea Bass and Surf and Turf

Nikki Beach - Wonderful sushi rolls and thin sashimi

Gardenias - Awesome 18 peso fish tacos

Gordo Lele's - Best tortas and carne asada ever!!!!!

On our last day, I took paper plates to Javier and had him make 2 plates to go. We took those tacos through customs and ate them on our flight back to San Diego. YUM!!!!

And that is about it. We love Cabo and I always cry when we have to come home. It just feels like home.

P.S. They took my Coca Cola Lights out of my checked bags this year. First time ever. Also, my husband always carries on his duct tape, but this time they had security that opened carry on luggage, and they took it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Great trip review! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Larry

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Excellent review! I really enjoyed reading it.

Did you say "Habanero spicy tuna hand roll"??? I am so THERE! Thank you, thank you!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

What a great trip report...!

I never thought about taking food from town to the airport....Usually we go very hungry or buy something expensive and not very good at the terminal...A sandwich or tacos from Gordo's sounds wonderful....Thanks

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

That was an awesome trip report! I wanna know about the secret spot on the pacific sounds beautiful.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

travel,

one of the best reviews ive read! thank you so much for taking the time to share the attitude of what is "Baja!" Buena Suerte.........jim

Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

travelcrazy, that was a wonderful report. You truly made the most of your time!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. I forgot to mention we ate at The Sand Bar too. Always great service and very reasonable. I wrote a review for ME 4 days ago and it still isn't up. How long does this take??

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Loved your review.

We go to Gordos before the airport alot too. Much better then the airport food.

Reviews can take a week or so sometimes to show up and even then sometimes they reject them for one reason or another. They will email you if they don't except the review.

San Diego
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

OK.... you and your hubby spend your vacation time like I would want to. Question? Does your husband bring his surfboard from home? Great Review!

fLORIDA
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review 6/14 - 6/28

Great review i was looking for a review on the sushi and you said it all thanx