We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi situation, Aug 16

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Topic
Taxi situation, Aug 16

Again, here is the very latest on the taxi situation posted in the Baja Western Onion today. Some of the stuff the attorney for the taxistas is saying is comical! The whole situation from the Federal governement down to the local level reminds me of the Keystone Cops! I LOVE MEXICO! never a dull moment!

Los Cabos Taxi Operators Insist That The Mexican Federal Government Stay Out Of BCS Dispute. - The taxi operators in Los Cabos are insisting that the BCS laws and the decision of the Mexican Supreme Court should be respected by the Mexican Federal government because they have no jurisdiction with regard to the transportation conflict. They say that the Court declared that the problem has to be solved by the BCS State Governor.

Francisco Rodriguez, the taxi operators attorney announced that in the meeting between the Secretaries of the different taxi unions, it has been determined after analyzing the advances that the authorities claim they have made, that these advances are not favorable at all to the business interests of the taxi operators. He called on the representatives of all three levels of government to respect the Law and to comply with the Supreme Court's decision. If the authorities refuse to do so, Rodriguez warned that the taxi operators would be forced to take legal action against all of the authorities and the Mexican Federation in order to have the Federation excluded from this affair and in order to force the State government to comply with the Court's resolution.

Rodriguez concluded by saying that the taxi operators are having a tough time since they have much less work this tourist season than in previous ones when the tourist transportation operators were working under a court protective order that allowed them to work in Cabo, but that now that the protective order has been rescinded by the Supreme Court, allowing the tourist transportes to be prevented from working in Cabo, they are not being stopped, and are in fact being protected by the PFP, Mexican Federal Police.

This has reduced the work load and opportunities of the taxi operators. They would prefer to not have to resort to protests, and road and hotel entrance blockages, but the authorities are not responding to the Supreme Court's orders and are not providing protection for the rights of the taxi operators and they are growing more and more restless and are being given no option other than to mobilize, hoping to force a solution favorable to their interests. - Mario E. Martinez

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

it will get worse .the taxi operators are having a tough time since they have much less work this tourist season . maybe if you didnt haul us off a bus and made to pay 50.00 one way trip to the airport and over charge every one that rides your taxi business would be better . maybe if i didnt watch you haul a group of dotcors off a bus and a wedding party and have it shown on us tv news business would be better .if this was my first trip to cabo and got hauled off a bus i would never come back

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

Boy-that is the truth, Sockman! This is leaving a lot of bad feelings in it's wake, and the sad thing is that, not only will people not continue traveling to Cabo, but that it will so drastically affect the people that live there and rely on the tourist for their incomes! It's because of the increasing tourism that the working people from all parts of Mexico have traveled there in the hope of finding gainful employment. While the growth is getting a bit too rampant and uncontrolled in some ways, the tourist dollars are certainly helping the local people keep food on their tables.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

Has anyone ever explained to these people that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. All the chaos they are causing is losing them money, now and in the future. As was said in prior posts, once it hit the national news, their business went downhill. I can't for the life figure out how they think this will benefit them. Like the old saying goes "not my job mon"

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

This taxi/tour company thing has been going on for years. They just picked the wrong time to bring it up again. all tourist spots not just cabo have been hurt This will come back to bite them hard in the butt. I have friends that worked in cabo they have lost there jobs and went back to there homes in the main land. cabo depends on tourist if you build it they might come. but if you pull them off a bus on national TV and make them walk or pay 50.00 bucks for a taxi ride they wont be back

albany
Level Contributor
111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

There is a post on trip advisor Cabo-trip report 8/8-8/15 and the poster had no problems with rt shuttle service.

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

You are correct, there is no problem with r/t via shuttle at the moment because 200 uniformed Federal police officers have been sent here to maintain order. In the post above, the attorney for the taxistas wants the Federal government to recall their officers so that the taxistas can once again blockade the resorts.

San Francisco Bay...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

So what is the best way to get to club cascadas from the airport?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

Thanks for the update. We should have a special thread dedicated just for daily updates on the taxi/shuttle situation! I'm glad someone is reporting on this forum now and then. Otherwise I wouldn't have even known this problem existed.

California
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

'so what is the best way to get from the airport"? You can walk. totally free... or hijack a burro.

they don't jack the fare and don't care if you tip them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi situation, Aug 16

You're under the impression the burro is going to do exactly as you want it to, so my vote would be walking. You're decreasing your carbon footprint, awesome for the environment, and it's great for the heart. Either way, pls. report back so we can live vicariously thru your experiences!!!

mixmztr, in all seriousness, the taxi situation is changing on a daily basis so stay tune for the latest and use that info to your advantage.

All the best.