We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Topic
Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

Just curious what the general consensus is since there's something like a 20:1 ratio of posts on this forum vs the La Paz one. Having been both places, I really love La Paz as it feels more Mexican and more like you can integrate into the ambience and enjoy the Mexican culture. Cabo seemed to be one non-stop party, but then, it also kinda felt like I was in California vs Baja, almost too upscale in a way. I saw a post by one lady who said she spent 2 weeks in La Paz and said there was nothing to do, but I thought it was great with lots of fun things going on (I even went to a crash derby which was great!). Not as many choices when it comes to any one thing, but the beaches are gorgeous, quiet and swimmable and the food was incredible, cheap and everywhere, crime is low and the locals are friendly. Not a lot of luxury shopping, but more Mexican style markets and small local shops and more family friendly atmosphere. And it was incredibly relaxing. And, of course, doing the loop from Cabo to Todos Santos, to La Paz and back down around Los Bariles was great with lots of variety but that only left me with a couple of days in CSL.

So, just curious what people's views are relative to the two. Anyone?

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

Only passed through so I have no opinion (just bumpng your thread).

I know they are getting a Wal-Mart though.

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

Thanks. Maybe no one really makes the trip, but I highly recommend it for a day or two, just for something different. But I think it's more of getting to see more of the local culture versus the social aspects of Cabo. But it's great for sailors, swimmers, fisherman, explorers, dirt bike riders and relaxers with a margarita :^)

I'm not terribly excited about this Wal-mart deal. I'm moving there to get away from all of that kind of Americanized stuff!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,995 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

Cabo is definitely a more popular tourist destination, and Trip Advisor is all about tourism & traveling. La Paz sounds lovely, tho'.

I haven't tried the "non-stop party" in Cabo as I travel with my family and enjoy day time activities only ~ fishing, swimming, snorkeling, eating, reading, herping. There are many people who enjoy staying in Cabo who never party at all, but some refer to Cabo as a party town, a nightclub town, a great place to drink. Different strokes....

As you saw in La Paz, there are different ways to enjoy the same area. Your visit to La Paz sounds great!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

We've been to La Paz a couple times for the day and enjoyed it very much, but have not stayed there overnight. Since our timeshare is in CSL it is easier for us to just use our room there.

We were in La Paz during a fiesta on their malecon last February and it was very cool - a great opportunity to try Mexican carnival foods :) I also like to stop at Avenida Quinta for coffee, and enjoy the park across the street.

We are not great partiers, really, but still enjoy CSL. We go to a several different resorts for lunch while we are there, shop, play golf, go deep sea fishing and take day trips to other towns, stopping along the road whenever it strikes our fancy.

I like pretty much everything about Baja!

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

I LIKE IT ALL! Los Cabos/La Paz is a fantastic area with something for everyone, depending on your mood - San Lucas, San Jose, East Cape, small historical mining towns, La Paz, Todos Santos......it is like my pants, there is just too much to fit it all in!

La Paz is a unique community, State capitol, world class malecon, outstanding Carnaval in February, fabuous street hot dogs, and symbolic of the new emerging Mexico. It has the world's best Italian restaurant, Caffe Milano, outside of Italy (owned by real Italians from Sicily). The upscale Mexican restaurant, Las Tres Virgines, is not to be missed. And then you have the islands out in the SOC, one of the world's best playgrounds for naturalists. You can artrange a tent camping trip in La Paz for Espiritu Santo island. They will take you out there with supplies and kayaks and a guide for a number of days and then pick you up. All kinds of things to do in La Paz.

I like it all in southern Baja. It's all good.

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

My wife keeps telling me about Caffe Milano, but hasn't taken me there! I'm going to make a list of demands ;^)

Looks like we'll be there in time for Carnaval, so that will be something new for me as well.

I think you both sum it up in that I see the whole state as one big playground, though clearly you could spend weeks just getting a taste of everything.

BC
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

JohnAshman- We stayed in La Paz for three days last year and visit Cabo San Lucas every year. La Paz is less oriented to tourists but if you stay there we recommend staying close to La Paz Bay in the center of the city. You want to be within walking distance of the main attractions. A must do is to visit Santos Espiritos islands. The day trip through the islands to swim with the seals is great.

All bias aside if you plan to spend more than several days in one area Cabo San Lucas is the best choice. Make sure that you get out on the water. In addition to all the activities and restaurants you just can't beat the location and the natural surroundings. We have been visiting for twenty eight years and still find new things to see and do.

It is best to think of the southern Baja as one great area. So many places to see and great people to meet.

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

>My wife keeps telling me about Caffe Milano, but >hasn't taken me there! I'm going to make a list of >demands ;^)

Ask for the owner, Michael (his real name is Misha but he also answers to Miguel). He is very personable and loves to give personal attention. Tell him you read about his restaurant on the Internet. I guarantee you will get a free appetizer and who knows what else. His wife and daughter are very charming (when you meet them, expect a surprise).

I forgot to mention the free entertainment at the bandstand on the beach in La Paz most weekend nights.

I hope Los Arcos is open for the Carnaval!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

We drove through La Paz a couple of weeks ago. It's a huge city. I'm sure there are lots of things to do there, but it's too big and "citified" for us.

We love Cabo, even though we're not partiers. Just seems to fit our traveling style well. However, we're thinking of trying Los Barriles next year for a change of pace.

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Cabos vs La Paz.....

Well, i don't know that I'd call maybe 200,000 people a 'huge city', but certainly a bit bigger than Los Cabos. It's also very compact for its population. Most homes are small and there's probably 4 or 5 people in each on average. And it's much more like a small town in spirit - no huge buildings or offices (except for Gran Baja), businesses are small, roads are small, stop lights are rare, there's only one McDonald's and one Applebie's when it comes to American places. Most of the hotels are locally owned. No big night clubs. In a way, CSL is more like a small city atmosphere and La Paz is more like a big town. It's a unique combination of a Mexican town but with more of an international spirit and consciousness to it, yet still with the inviting small town neighborly atmosphere. I guess that's why I like it so much. But a big city it isn't.