We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

There are 8 of us arriving in Cabo on 1/17 - staying at the Hacienda del Mar timeshare complex. We had transportation arrangements with TransCabo but have been made aware of the taxi union/shuttle company problem and we are without transportation at the moment. With 8 of us (all adults), what is the most convenient way to get to the resort? If we take a taxi, what should be look out for? Can you rent a car right at the airport? Thanks for any info.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,597 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Bummer!

Here is a map of the airport with rental agencies: bajainsider.com/baja-maps/cabo-san-lucas-air… Turimaz /www.turimazrentacar.com has been getting a good reputation, but their prices have been going up. Dominic domosanlucas@prodigy.net.mx has an excellent service reputation and will deliver the car to you at the airport. If you take a taxi (yuck), let us know what they charge you.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Hi Zinfandel,

We just returned from the HDM resort yesterday and had used with no issue (except for the 4 stops before we got to HDM and the 30 minute wait for the rest of the passengers to get thru customs) TransCabo for round-trip trip transfers. What we discovered is that the one way fare for a taxi is 450 pesos (don't pay in US for any transportation) each way so you would be better off going that route. We observed no issues with taxi vs. shuttle drivers, and used both the hotel service ($10 US per person round-trip) and taxis to get into/from the town.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

TetonDreaming-

Really? We were told TransCabo could no longer transport guests to HDM as well as several other timeshare resorts because of an alliance the resorts made with the taxi drivers. I'm so confused! I guess I'll make some calls today...

How was HDM? Any details would be welcomed! We can't wait to get out of the cold!

Spokane, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

We used Arturo at Translobo. Out of my entire trip he was the only person that did what he said he would and at the correct time. As far as I have seen he is the best. He should be able to accomodate 8 no problem. His email is translobo@gmail.com

It's worth it. Tell him Daryl and Burt say hello.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

zin,

I second Arturo. He will be upfront and let you know what he can and cannot do. Also, will have a cold beverage for you in the van and stop at the store if you like.

Have fun in Cabo. Tell him Glynnis and Bill say hi!!!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Sounds like a good recommendation! Have either of you heard anything about this shuttle service/taxi drivers conflict? I saw there was something on the TA boards in late November (posted by the owners of a tour co.) but there seems to be some confusion about what is currently happening. The transportation co. we had scheduled (TransCabo) told us they are not allowed on the Hacienda del Mar property but the previous poster said they used TC. I hate to arrive looking/feeling like I don't know what the heck is going on!

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Well... Not sure but there are two properties: the Sheraton Hotel and the Timeshare. The hotel and timeshare have different lobbies, maybe 100 yards away from each other in different buildings. I wonder if they can take you to the hotel lobby but not the timeshare lobby.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

"I hate to arrive looking/feeling like I don't know what the heck is going on!"

Welcome to the club... lol.. Transportation issues have been ongoing in Cabo for years and change constantly. My feeling is not to stress about it...get a hold of Arturo..see if he can take you..if not...take a taxi or rent a car...there are too many fun things to do, see, eat and drink...

The important thing is HAVE FUN in the SUN!!!!!

napa, ca
Level Contributor
917 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Here's another vote for Arturo. We used him last year and he is the best. Just contacted him for our visit in March and we're all set up, there is 6 of us in our party.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving in 2 weeks - transportation?

Thanks guys! Fun sounds good!

TetonDreaming- did TransCabo take you to the hotel or the timeshare?

Here's what I know so far:

Calling directly to TransCabo, I was told they could take us to the resort but could not take us to the airport. Cost for 8 of us is $100.

Calling Cabo San Lucas Tours, who use TransCabo, I was told they cannot provide any transportation to Hacienda del Mar because of their alliance with the taxi union.

Dominic can rent a 1996 Suburban for $630; he also has a 2005 Suburban for $670 (6 days) but it wouldn't be available until our 2nd day so we would still need to get to the resort.

Waiting to hear from translobo!

Think I'll make a margarita and mull this over!!!