We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Graham, Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

If you have something else to do first...better do it. This is my first report...So it's a doozy. I hope you don't get bored reading it.

Our flight left Seattle at 10:00 pm on Sunday, January 18. A fairly uneventful 45 minutes later, we were in the bustling metropolis that is Portland. Apparently on a Sunday night, PDX likes to roll up the sidewalks pretty early. We figured we would be able to get a drink at a lounge, or maybe a bite to eat at the restaurant. Nope. No good. Everything closed up except for Harvey’s News. Home of the $10.00 deli sandwich. What a racket.

PDX is a great place to go if you need to catch up on your sleep. And since our flight from Portland to Cabo wasn’t going to board (and boy, were we bored) until about 6:30 am, that’s just what we were going to try to do. Extortion jokes aside, it was a fine place to stay the night. As long as you like to sleep in a semi sitting position. While someone is vacuuming next to you.

Next, we all pile in the plane early in the am to go to Cabo. But they sprung in a Super Secret Stop on us. San Diego. For security reasons. I guess they had to sweep the place after all The Oregon Dopers snuck their stash on board the flight. That was pretty painless. Gather all your stuff. Get off the plane. Have a beer in the airport bar. Take all your stuff back on the plane. I don’t know about anyone else in our party, but I felt much safer after that. Now… Onto the good stuff…..

Arrival to the Los Cabos International Airport. We walk along the tarmac and into the Immigration Center. No problems. Next, grab the bags and over to Customs. Up to the Infamous Button. No whammy no whammy no whammy GREEN! Who-hoo! Everybody in our group won. We grab our bags and walk pass all those nice people offering to help us. Just a word of caution….They even have signs that say “AUTHORIZED TRANSPORTATION” Yeah….Transportation to TimeShareville. Population? You, sucker.

We had a rental car from Avis all ready to go. We were supposed to meet my buddy’s mom and her husband, as they were landing almost right after us. But they were delayed. So after waiting and waiting everyone decides to take the free Avis Shuttle to Avis and get the car secured. I was left in charge of waving my arms and signaling his mom when they arrived. 10 minutes later they had arrived and we all popped in the rental on our way down South.

The drive was uneventful except for the fact that if you have never driven in Mexico…get ready. Your best course of action is to keep with traffic on the highways and in town? Gun and Run. (Hands covering eyes while screaming “Eeeeek!” is optional) Yeah. It’s a ton of fun. City driving. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

We arrive to our home for the next week, the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. I will write a separate review for it…but wow. That place is amazing. Upon check in we were offered instead of 2 studios, 1 penthouse suite. With a hot tub on the deck. Could sleep 12 people without having to get to close to each other. We were in the San Jose Building in Room# 2831.

Once all our baggage was in, it was time to hit the Costco. Basic items….Bread, veggies, Pacifico, lots and lots of bottled H2O, and the 3 liter 5x distilled Kirkland Signature vodka for $30.00 USD. If you would have told me that everyone in out group (8 people) and all our stuff was going to fit in that rental car, I would have said you were a liar. But it did. Right about this time, I realized that I had missed the TA get together at the Giggling Marlin for that night. The one I was so amped to get to. Oops. Just ran out of time! J

First night we were all pretty tired and done with moving around, so we called it a night with a couple Pacificos on the veranda.

Bright and early next morning (Tuesday) we got all ready and headed to town. We decided to opt out of the free shuttle to the Rose’ and grab a cab. We were told to not let them charge more than $120 pesos for the ride. And that the taxis have always built in their own tip to the fare.

Lunch was the Giggling Marlin. I was a little skeptical about the quality of food in a place known for its parties, but I was surprised. For $77 pesos, I had the tamales and I had to bring the box home. Too much food. And they were delicious. A Pacifico and daiquiri later, it was over to the USD to MXN cambia that everyone talks about. Buying pesos they were giving a 13.9-1 rate. Not too shabby. We only exchanged once…Just decided to use the ATM’s. Our bank (WAMU/Chase) said they will only charge 1% of international ATM withdrawals….I have yet to see if this is true or not. PS—The ATM in the Mariachi Plaza (next to Rips) had a 16-1 rate one day. Wow.

Back to the Pueblo for some poolside drinks, and that whole siesta thing. Very nice. After nap time we did a “grab and go” of food we had at the Sunset, then back out to the Marlin for party time. (One trick pony, I know….) A good time was had by all at the Marlin, and since we caught the early show, we headed to Cabo Wabo after to check it out. Eh. It was alright. Kind of what you would expect. The ambiance is nice, but it’s pretty much a loud bar with a DJ or cover band. Not really for us. Besides….Three of us had diving with Traun in the morning.

Wednesday morning my buddy, his stepdad and I got our goodies together and headed for the shuttle to the Rose’. Make sure you get your free tickets first. Otherwise you look like a dummy waiting in line and then get turned away. J The ride to the Rose’ was quick and uneventful. Dropped us off right at the lobby. The Rose’ is a nice place, but too much pink for me.

Down the beach past the Rose, and Los Cabos. Right in front of the ME Cabo there was TIO Watersports. Aka Traun. Met TA member ABQInfo waiting there and learned she would be diving with us that day. Jeremy (my buddy) and Scott (his stepdad) were first up in the pool as they had never been diving before. Passed with flying colors. Just like breathing…Only underwater. After ABQ and I did a quick refresher, it was on the boat to find a good spot to dive. Traun chose Pelican Rock for our site. 30’-40’ and fish everywhere. It was amazing.

While we were diving, my wife and the other ladies went out to do some damage at the shopping areas. She found Gordo Lele’s but decided to wait until we were both together to eat there. Awww.

That night we swapped stories, had some drinks and went out to town to try to cause trouble. We kept it pretty low key, this time walking past the Marlin, and looking around the plaza area around Rips and the Jungle Bar. We kept on walking and found ourselves past the Zoo right outside a little quiet honkey tonk. You might have heard of it. The El Squid Roe?

They were all sorts of loud and boisterous for a Wednesday night. Which was just fine with us for that night. I think it was 80’s night. Great service, and daiquiris by the yard. Except those Jell-O Shot Girls. Wow. They must get paid on commission. Enough about the Jell-O!

On Thursday, Jeremy and his Scott went fishing…Hooked 6 marlins. Landed 4. Jeremy had the biggest at an estimated 170 lbs. Took him 42 minutes to get the fish. Catch and release all, I think. That same day, Jeremy’s girlfriend and mom went horseback riding. They weren’t real impressed with it. I could hardly believe that. Ride a horse through the desert? You didn’t like it? No way. But that’s just me.

For the Wife, and I though…Thursday was the day to track down Javier. And see if 6 months of hearing about how his tacos can apparently part the sea and cure the sick were true. My friends: Believe the hype. The small shop was out of the way, but you could see the big, red sign from a block and a half away. There were two other couples there when the three of us walked in. Ordered 2 Chicken tacos and 1 Carne Asada. 2 Cokes and a beer. $160 pesos. That’s a little over 11 dollars, folks. Plus there was entertainment. We got “Yesterday” and “Let it Be”. Simply amazing. It was the best food we had in Cabo.

Friday was pretty much “Pool And Chase The Happy Hour” day for us. The Sky Pool at the Sunset Beach is amazing. After Happy Hour (s) we decided that siesta would be in order. After dinner, it was back out to the Squid Roe for another fun filled evening of listening to the music and pretending the Jell-O Girls was invisible. J

Saturday brought with it another fine meal at Gordo Lele’s and shopping at the shops. It’s like buying a used car everyday! I loved it! If one place doesn’t want to play the “Name The Price” game, you simply move on to the next vendor. For dinner, we ate at the Bistro; the Sunset Beach’s mid-range restaurant. The food was wonderful, although it did take a little longer than I expected for the food to arrive. After dinner it was time to start packing. L

Sunday was spent finishing up getting anything we were going to in town, and a lunch at the Giggling Marlin. For a place that I didn’t think we would be at much….They almost started charging us rent! We took the rest of the day to tie up lose ends and make sure everything was good to go for packing.

Sunday night we had one last night on the town. Everyone went. Guess where we went? That’s right. We were practically on a first name basis with the entertainment staff at the Giggling Marlin! That night’s show was different which I was happy to see. Everyone had copious amounts of drinks and had an absolute blast. After there it was over the Squid once again for a couple drinks and music. Once we had enough of the pounding bass line we walked back down towards the Mariachi Plaza. And had to finish the night, and our trip at Rips.

Monday we had lunch in town before setting out on Highway 19. Yes. Highway 1 is the one you want to get to the airport. We know that now. We were already a bit behind schedule when I said that I didn’t remember driving through the desert on out way from the airport. So after ‘speaking’ to a surveyor, we turned around and hot-footed it back to Cabo and on to the airport. (PS 170 km/h is FAST) We got through security just in time to be the last people on the airplane!

Can’t wait to go back!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Enjoyed you report! We were in Cabo the 17-24 - perhaps we crossed paths in town on Tuesday! Wasn't it just the best? We thought the weather was exceptional and can't wait to start planning the next trip! Thanks for taking the time to share.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Yipee--

You found Gordo Lele and you are hooked! Told ya! So glad he had time to sing to you. Looks like chichen tacos are now on his menu. Have to try one of those in 3 days...can't wait.

Sounds like you had a super time and thanks for reporting back. We really appreciate it. :-)

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Now that was a GREAT trip report! Loved it, especially...

"Just a word of caution….They even have signs that say “AUTHORIZED TRANSPORTATION” Yeah….Transportation to TimeShareville. Population? You, sucker."

I take it you'll be going back:):)

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Super trip report. You guys sound like you had a blast. All our favorite places. Giggling Marlin, Squid Row, Rips and Gordo's. Can't wait to get back. Remember to post pictures. Are you a paramedic on the little red copter? See Ya

Graham, Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Oh! I forgot all about the pictures....How do you make a clicky so everyone can link to them? (Once I get them all online...)

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Warning??? No way!! It's a great report. You sound like us, creatures of habit. Once we find places we like we are repeat customers. Such as the new bar Shots, across from Corner Cafe. Small but great music and we did lots of dancing (still haven't got pics posted). Hope your next trip you wander to find a couple of new fun places (yea, me too). Glad you had such fun.

Oh yea, and I'm with you too, on the San Diego stop, much rather be safe then sorry for whatever their reason is.

Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Hey Paraflier, thanks for the very colorful and humorous trip report!! Sounds like you guys really know how to have a great vacation.

I will be in Cabo in a month for an 11 day stay. I am going to follow in your footsteps on a lot of these places that I have never been to for meals and drinks. Can't wait.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

OK, so THAT was one of the best reports I've read here! You provided several "LOL" moments, and for that, I thank you. I love the way you write. I hope you'll do more of it here. :-)

Hermiston, Oregon
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Loved your post. Sounds like my kind of vacation. Lots of fun and lots of relaxing.

Vale, Oregon
Level Contributor
259 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report--1/19-1/26 Fair Warning....

Loved the narrative!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!!!!!!!!!