We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

london canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

I had a trip booked with Sunquest for Riu Tequila May 8th.Sunquest our tour operator will not refund our money only give us a credit that we have to use before Oct 31/09. This is crazy!!! I have tried to reason with them but they will not budge! My husband and I still want to go to Mexico and would book a trip trhough Detroit towards the end of May to Playa but like most people we saved our money over the past few months and now it's tied up with Sunquest. We do not have additional funds to rebook an extra trip then use our credit another time which is why we want our money back. Another reason is that we are restricted with the times we can travel due to work or kids. (grandparents look after them but can only do so this month) so to sum it all up this really sucks! We will likely lose our money!!

Has anyone been successful in getting a refund with a Canadian Tour Operator that had travel booked in May then the tour operator cancelled?

This is a very frustrating! Please help!! Any suggestions??

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

Few companies, especially travel companies who must have lost a lot of money recently due to recession, bad press with drug war and now flu, will want to give a refund.

Your best bet would be to figure out when you can go and then negotiate on that basis, even if it is past their Oct date...even months past.

Stress that your preference was a full refund but understand they prefer a credit and explain why you can only travel on such and such a date.

Did you say the tour operator cancelled? Well, that makes your hand all the stronger and maybe they should throw in some gratuity or something...pay for RT transport from airport to Cabo or something.

You know, I'd bet that type of business has insurance just for such situations. Look in to that as it makes their case weaker.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

Did you use a credit card? Maybe you could contact your credit card company and dispute the charge for the cost of the vacation. After all, it wasn't you that cancelled and they have no right to charge you for a trip that they revoked themselves.

I had a similar situation last year when the airline that I had booked for a trip to Hawaii went out of business. They were NOT offering refunds but said they'd "try" to help people rebook onto different airlines, which they did, but neglected to tell us that we'd have to pay the difference in cost for the tickets! We went straight to our credit card company and told them that the airline refused to provide us with a refund, even though it wasn't our fault they went belly up, and the credit card gave us a full refund.

The sooner you check with your credit card, the better. After a few days of granting people refunds for their cancelled Hawaii flights, the credit card companies tightened up and stopped giving people refunds.

Anyway, it's worth a shot. Oh, and check and see if your credit card offers trip insurance on trips you purchased using their card.

If Canada has a Better Business Bureau (or something similar), you might want to file a complaint with them as well.

As the saying goes: The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease", so start squeaking! :)

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
504 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

If the above suggestions fail, try contacting your local Global television station, they should have a Troubleshooter who can get in on this for you. We used our local troubleshooter a few years ago when our travel agent went out of business with our tickets in their office. Worked out perfect!

It is completely unfair that they would do this when they cancelled the trip not you.

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

Call Clark Howard show (tv and radio). He loves this stuff and companies want to be on his good side.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

Clark Howard is super!

Did you take insurance? That could be an option. I've not delt with Canadian Tour Operators, but if they CAX you just may be able to get them to extend the option date if you can speak with someone with authority. I would also try the c.c. routine. Unless they are going out of business, there should be some redress for you as far as the time goes, or at least they should offer you a trip of equal value to another destination for your original dates.

Halifax
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

I also had my trip to the RIU on May 8th canceled by Sunquest. We are in Nova Scotia and they were not able to provide us with any alternate destinations out of Halifax. We got them to extend our credit until May 31, 2010 (got it in writing) and then we booked a trip with Air Canada to Cuba leaving next Friday. It sucked because we did have to pay again but on the bright side next year's trip is now paid for. We contacted Visa to see if they could do anything but they couldn't because Sunquest is offering us something (the credit) in lieu of the trip. If they weren't giving us anything then Visa probably would cover it. It was very frustrating but I am happy I'm going to get away this year. Try pressing them for an extension for your credit. Good luck!

london canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

Woo Hoo! Great news! Sunquest decided to refund our money! On thier website there is a disclaimer saying that they will now refund your money dhould you wich not to take their credit. So that is great news fo alot of other people too. The sad thing is is that they have decided to extend the Mexico travel ban until June 17th. So that means that they are not flying to Mexico until June 17th.

More good news though...because we got our monew back we were able to rebook another trip. So instead of going to the Riu Tequila in Playa Del Carmen we are now heading to Riu Sante Fe in Cabo on May 16th out of Detroit!!! We were there 4 years ago at the Riu Palace and loved it so I've a very happy camper!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

I'm so happy for you. That's great news! Have a great time on your new trip.

Halifax
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

That's wonderful news. We'll be calling Sunquest on Monday for our refund. Thanks for the update and enjoy your trip!

10. Re: Cdn tour operators not refunding $$ help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 06:47