We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

C.A.
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

We were in Cabo last week. Left on Aug. 10th 2009. The "new rule" is regarding your checked in baggage. You can not have any liquid containers over 16 oz. They will take it away from you!! This means you can get your shampoo and conditioner into the country but it is not going home with you. FYI.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

What?! That does not make any sense at all. How are you suppoed to get tequila etc home? They sell it in the shops before security but now they won't let you buy or take it?

Can anyone else confirm this? Maybe it was just an isolated incident?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
117 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

Don't know about that, but I had no problem getting a small pair of nail scissors into Mexico in my carry-on (along with about 50 other flights around the world) but I couldn't get them out in my carry-on. PITA.

Rogers, MN
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

In the past they have taken our tequila etc. and someone took it through security and we picked it up on the way to boarding - the only problem comes is when or if you have a connecting flight, before you go through security you will have to pack it in your luggage b/c you cannot get through US security carrying it.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
282 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

They confiscated my cuticle scissors at SJD. You can take them down there, but you can't take them home. I even checked out their rules. They are different from U.S. rules. Rankled me a little...

RP

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

No, she is talking about CHECKED luggage!

C.A.
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

Ha ha ha!! Funny thing was that my husband did get a bottle of tequila through security on our way home from Cabo. Even tho my daughter got her shampoo taken away from her. Reality is....TSA is inconsistent all over the country!!

C.A.
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

Don't quote me on this one but the "rules" are different when you buy booze at the airport on your way out of town. I have never done it but I think it has something having to do with duty free purchases. When we were leaving Costa Rica friends of ours purchased booze at the airport and security did take it away from them and then gave it back to them once they were getting ready to board the plane. Again, not sure how that one works.

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

TO CONFIRM:

I was at the airport on the 8th and saw decent size bottles of hair products being taken out of checked luggage.

I had to assist someone to the gate, and yes, you can still buy your duty free inside the terminal and they'll let you carry-on large bottles when brought to you at the gate.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

That is nuts! So anything we don't use all of, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, sunscreen will get thrown out?

I have searched everywhere for these new rules but cannot find anything posted on it that outlines the new rules. Would like to be able to read exactly what we can and cannot take.

If anyone finds it please post the link.

Thanks!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New "rule" at Cabo San Lucas airport!

Sweetie....

You will never be able to determin what "exactly" you can and can't check in in Cabo....Remember you are in a forgien country....Here in the US the TSA has pretty much standard "rules"...and even they can change without much notice...

In Mexico....the "rules" can change hourly...it all depends on who is the Officer in charge is that day...Usually you can count on Mexico Agents to be more restrictive...Just do the best you can...take as little or as much as you can plan to use and then "go with the flow"....:)