We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Cabo Real and general questions

dc
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Cabo Real and general questions

Wife and I are headed to the Melia Cabo Real Nov 20-27. Normally I scour TA, other websites, buy guidebooks, and plan every 15 minutes out in advance, but we are going for a destination wedding. Since the dates and hotel were determined by the wedding, I have done no research. I am now realizing that in two weeks I'm headed to a place I know nothing about. It will also be our first time in Cabo and at an AI.

How easy is it to get to Los Cabos or San Jose from our hotel, which I understand is kind of out on its own. How much does a cab or bus cost and how long will it take? Based on the forum I assume we will take a shuttle from the airport, but didn't know what the best way to travel from the hotel to what is nearby.

I have a lot of food and drink questions. Can we eat at the restaurant that takes reservations more than once? Is there a dress code at any of the restaurants? Is the food good and is there a good variety? Any idea what the beer selection is? If we get tired of the resort food, any suggestions for a good meal or two - lunch or dinner - in Los Cabos?

We really like to snorkel. What are the best spots? Also, any good kayaking spots?

Is there anything that you would tell a first timer that they must do (I notice a lot of people mention fishing but that isn't my cup of tea)?

Any help answering any of the questions is greatly appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

You'll be in "Los Cabos." This is the general region encompassing Cabo San Lucas, the Corridor (where the MCR is located), San Jose del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo, and beyond.

For info specific to the MCR, try reading the reviews or putting "Melia Cabo Real" in the Los Cabos search bar. (The Los Cabos forum collects all the forums from Cabo, San Jose, & new Cabo Pulmo. But don't post questions there as it just collects info ~ few people read & post there.)

Here is the MCR on the wikimap: wikimapia.org/…h It's next door to the Hilton and "Hilton Cove" which is a swimmable area. Most of the resorts are on unswimmable beautiful beaches. Here is a Corridor map to orient yourself as well: www.cabo-travel.com/maps/corridor_map.htm

Restaurants away from the MCR? Read this dining link with ideas from TA regular Trapper: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-s5/Cabo-San-L… Best lunch experience is at Gordo Lele's taco shop ~ he'll sing you a song!

At least once, I think you should get into Cabo. (Shuttle from the MCR if they have one, taxi for $25 or $30, SuburCabo bus?) Go to Medano Beach to people watch, swim, participate in water sports, enjoy food/drinks at a beach bar, and definitely take a water taxi tour of Lands End, The Arch, & Lovers Beach. You get in & out of the water taxi (glass bottom boat) in the water so be prepared by bagging up your camera & wallet.

If you like to kayak & snorkel, you might like one of these excursions (we keep thinking about going, but haven't managed it yet): http://www.cabo-outfitters.com/# (owners Casey & Stacey are recommended by others) or bajawild.com/en/…kayakingandsnorkeling.html (one TA member says he's done the 3 Bay Crusade three times.)

Other first timer tips? Read thru the forum for this week's threads to other first timers. There are several going right now.

Have a great time, and congrat's to the happy couple.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

I haven't stayed at the Melia Cabo Real yet, even though we own a timeshare there, lol, but we're going in Feb, so I'd be interested in what you think when you get back.

We did trade our week this year for the Melia in Ixtapa, and I'll answer your questions based on what we encountered there, in case the Cabo property works the same way.

We stayed 6 nights, and were the AI was optional. In case you didn't book a package where the AI cost is already included, the daily charge varied dependent on how many days you got. We ended up going AI for 4 days, and were able to make reservations for the 2 non-buffet restaurants 3 times. One had no dress code (I still wore a skirt, and boyfriend wore a polo and nice shorts). The steakhouse had a "no shorts" policy, I wore the same outfit, and my boyfriend wore a polo with khaki's. The food in the buffets was fine, nothing to write home about, but not horrible either. I liked the breakfasts the best, made to order egg station, mexican offerings and plenty of fresh fruit.

The waiters in Ixtapa were very friendly and attentive, so I'm hoping the same is true in Cabo. Drinks by the pool were fast and good. We went for margaritas and pina coladas, not beer, so I can't help you out with what beer labels are available. We're planning on taking the bus to the Mega in San Jose the first day there and stocking up on booze and snacks.

I know that there is a bus that stops just out in front of the Melia into either San Jose or Cabo San Lucas, so that would be a cheaper option. We will probably take the bus into town and then decide later whether we bus or taxi it back. I'm budgeting for about $20-30 for a cab from Cabo to the hotel.

Hope this helps. Have a blast, and post a trip report when you get back so I can see what we're in for.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

TA member sceneisle seems to contribute the most often about the MCR. Look at his forum contributions here: www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/sceneisle and read the ones about the Melia.

northwest
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

Hi,

me and my wife have stayed at the mcr for the last 5 years, we like it alot.

They have a litte snorkeling on site,waverunner rentals at the beach,resturants are all nice and the steak and sushi do require shorts dress shirt and sandles or shoes, buffets are great also. Snack bar at the pool side for burgers fry nachos ice cream and such. Swim up bar very cool, serving all your favorite drinks. ping pong table, pool tables, beach volley ball, and pool volley ball. Lobby bar is very nice in the evening to relax at.You can catch the local bus outside the hotel to go into csl for about $1.50 ea.Very safe. I think you get 2 meal tickets ea for the specialty resturants if you are there 6 nights.

I hope this helped a little.

PM me if you need more about MCR

Mike

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

Hey Mikey~

Hope all is well with my countdown buddy! We don't have a countdown as of today...

Sigh!!

DUBLIN, CA
Level Contributor
184 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

The beer selection is all Mexican beer--Corona, Modelo and Modelo Negro. We are scotch drinkers and they had Johnny Walker Red Label, one bar had the Black Label. If you ask for top shelf liquor you can usually find some thing you like.

I cannot advise on trips into town because we were there during a hurricane and everything was cancelled for a few days, but I do know that they have shuttle to Cabo San Lucas twice a day.

We did get tickets to the reservation only restaurants, only 1 to Kujiro (which is excellent) and 2 were for La Terraza.

The buffet food is pretty good for an AI!

Have Fun!

dc
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

Thank you everyone for all of the information. It is very helpful. One more question: several people have mentioned snorkeling at Chileno bay and that the public bus stops there, which seems nice since you could save a lot of money by not doing a tour. Any idea if you can rent a snorkel and mask there, or should we bring our own?

8. Re: Melia Cabo Real and general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 06:25