We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

My husband and I are planning a last minute week away for the end of May. We went to Cabo 3 years ago for our honeymoon and LOVED it. However, for this trip i like the idea of a little less flight time and a little less pricy. In Cabo we stayed at the Marquis in a rooftop terrace room with our own pool. We ate at the hotel during the day for bf and lunch and went to dinner in Cabo and SJD (Ediths, Morgans, Damania, etc.). I loved that there was no humidity in Cabo, no mosquitos (we went in January, maybe this is different in May), no bugs, no iguanas. I loved the ambiance at all the restaurants, all the hacienda style restaurants, twinkle lights, etc. For the week we are going flights are high and the resort i really wanted to stay at - Cabo Azul - is sold out. So i started researching Cancun, all inclusive, either Le Blanc, Excellence Playa Muejeres or Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Just wondering if anyone c ould compare. I'm so worried after being to Cabo we'd be disappointed in Cancun. Probably would not venture out much in Cancun but look for luxurious accomodations, great food. How is the humidity in Cancun, bugs? I know there are the iguanas but think i could deal as long as i don't find one in my room. Any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Cancun will have better beaches and water. Never much of an issue with bugs at the resorts. There can be humidity once you get to the summer months. Cancun is more spread out than Cabo so it doesn't have the same feel which differetn people will argue which is better. I love both. I can relate to the shorter flight issue and that is a deal maker for a short week long trip.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Both airports are busy......The water in Cancun is a Dream come true. Super Blue and warm. The people in Cabo are so-o much more friendly than Cancun. Cancun itself is bustling and more of a city. Transportation in Cancun is easy with cabs and buses. Cabo has more sunny days than Cancun, You might get a few more bug bites in Cancun if you got to the Cenotes or the Mayaan/Aztec sites, Bring some bug spray.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

I see you are going with adults only for Cancun... also look into Sun Palace, IMO the best of the adults-only AI options in Cancun, great beach, good food, quiter and somewhat remote location but a quick taxi or bus into town. Of the hotels mention Le Blanc is the only hotel in Cancun, more expensive and IMO a little on the 'stuffy' side; the Iberostar Grand Paraiso is in Playa del Carmen huge property, fantastic beach and great restaurants but more of a resort you never leave; Excellence Playa Muejeres is located north of Cancun (havent been) looks great and also gets positive reviews. Good luck!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

I appreciate all the feedback! So I can still enjoy cancun having been to cabo. I'll check out the other resorts you mention!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Well I've been to Cancun 3 times, most recently Sept. '09 with my girlfriend and never to Cabo (though we've booked our first trip for this May) so I can't really compare the 2. I have been to Puerto Vallarta 6 times and Acapulco once and I could tell you that Cancun is by far my favorite. No where I have been can compare to the white sand beaches and the crystal clear blue water of Cancun. My gf and I are most concerned with beaches and nightlife which is probably why we like Cancun best but they do have EVERYTHING. Travel is by far easiest in Cancun with a lot in walking distance or a bus which runs 24 hours for 5 pesos.

My most resot trip to Cancun was to the Royal Sands. It's a 25 and up resort with no kids allowed so if you are looking for a mature crowd, the Royal resorts are a good choice. I have pictures of our most recent trip there if you'd like to see.

I actually have access to a discounted rate for the Royal Sands through my vacation club membership. Under $600 for a 1 bedroom with kitchen.... less for a studio. Honestly, im not a timeshares salesman or anything like that lol. Just a lover of all that has to do with vacations haha.

If you're interested, let me know... if not, no worries.

Happy travels!

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
843 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Cancun is too commercial for our liking. We prefer Playa del Carmen when going to the east coast of Mexico. PDC is a great town, plus you are closer to a lot of the activites, diving, water parks, cenotes, etc is of interest to you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

I agree--Playa del Carmen is great. The water and beaches are beautiful and it is much more tranquil than the hotel strip in Cancun. We stayed at Playacar Palace a couple of years ago, a resort affiliated with the Palace Resorts, and loved it. It's an all inclusive within a few minutes from the downtown of Playa del Carmen.

However, I know a lot of people don't want all inclusive. So, another option is looking at rentals on VRBO. You can get a reasonable rental in Playa del Carmen and enjoy their restaurants. It's been a while since I've researched the Playa Del Carmen restaurants but if I recall there are some good ones and reasonably priced.

Here's a link to the reviews on Playacar Palace. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d155824…

Any chance you are a member of RCI? Is so, RCI is offering specials on their all inclusive fees to Palace Resorts. It's actually a deal that can't be beat--almost 50% off.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Well, I've been to the Cancun area 20x or so and to Cabo (3rd time in 2 weeks). I prefer Cabo but if your looking for a shorter flight and nicer beach then Cancun area is your best bet..

I would stay in PDC area instead of Cancun. All resorts you listed in the Cancun area are good / great. One to check out in the PDC area would be the Royal in PDC. You can also exchange nights at the Royal in Cancun if they have occupancy and you get the "royal service"....

www.realresorts.com.mx

Alex

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

I haven't been to Cabo yet but looking forward to our trip in Nov. We were in Cancun in February and they were just completing their beach restoration project along the hotel strip. The beaches are very wide now but the sand is granular and not that great for walking barefoot. The beaches look beautiful and are endless though. We prefer a less comercialized area. Also found that we really needed to do our research for less pricey restaurants. Many equal to or more cost than back home. Found things much more expensive than in PV or Maz. We rented a condo through VRBO, more towards the south end of the hotel strip. The buses are easy and frequent but it was quite a trek to the downtown area. I missed the sunsets (sunrise was pretty tho) . We had no sun around our pool by mid afternoon as it sets over the lagoon side and our condo structure would block it. We didn't get to PDC but think we would have enjoyed it more. We did really enjoy our day on Isla Muejeres. Although I'm glad we went and can appreciate the cheaper flights, we likely won't go back.

Rockford, Il
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Cancun vs. Cabo

Your original post mentions humidity..... There is absolutely no dount it WILL be humid in Cancun at the end of May and blistering hot. I have been to both places around that time and would choose Cabo if humidity was a factor. I hate humidity and considred it a necessary evil to vacation some place nice until I went to Cabo. The weather is so much more tolerable. Eventhough I agree with all of the posts regarding the beaches and water being better in Cancun, for me, vacation is better in Cabo because of the weather. I like to spend a lot of time outside during the day and at night. There is some truth to that old saying about dry heat. I have spent many days and nights miserable due to the humidity in Cancun. There is honestly no point in showering if you are going to go outside in Cancun in May. You will be drenched immediately. Cancun is wonderful earlier in the year... even though it is humid it is less hot and you can spend more time outside.