We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabo vs. caribbean

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cabo vs. caribbean

Hi there my husband and I are looking to take a vacation and are thinking of maybe going to cabo or to the caribbean. However I have some concerns about Cabo. Is it safe to travel there being that it is in Mexico? How is the snorkeling there and the beaches? That's mainly our interest in our vacation. Any help would be appreciated. Also when is the best time to travel there. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

Cabo and the caribbean are like apples and brocolli....lol. They are way different in so many way. For starters, the landscape in Cabo is desert, caribbean is kush & tropical. The weather in Cabo is typically hot and dry, in the carribean it is hot & humid. Snorkling is not what cabo is known for.....it is the fishing. Snorkling in Cabo is average at best, especially if you have snorkled in the caribbean, Hawaii, Cozumel, etc. The beaches of the carribean are mostly soft, white sand with few waves. The beaches in Cabo tend to have coarse, brown sand with rough water ( with a few exceptions).

Cabo is very safe and is not affected by the drug war fueled crimes that plague other parts of Mexico...it is VERY safe.

It all depends on what you are looking for in your vacation. If snorkling is the major interest...the caribbean is your choice. If you want a fun, low key destination with friendly people and desert type climate, Cabo is your choice. Just my 2 cents

Cabo Nut

Edited: 06 May 2010, 18:10
Indiana
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

If your main interests are snorking and "swimable" beaches, I personally would go with the caribbean. I have been to the caribbean many times and next week will be my 4th time in Cabo. I too enjoy snorking (am a certified diver) and in my opinion the snorking is better in the caribbean. (I enjoy the virgin islands) However, this will be the 3rd year in row that I will be staying in Cabo. There is just something about it. The people, the weather, the food, the atomsphere...you kind of become part of the whole experience. The two are so different but both so enjoyable. I would advise looking at everything, not just water activities. I sure you will have fun regardless of which destination you choose.

Kansas CIty...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

The other posters are right on! Snorkeling is much better in the Caribbean than in Cabo. However, we love snorkeling and still always go when we're in Cabo. You'll definitely be able to find some nice beaches in Cabo, but they will be different than most Caribbean beaches.

For me, I enjoy the weather A LOT more in Cabo than the Caribbean...little humidity, always sunny, rarely rains, etc! August and September are really the two months that are uncomfortable weather wise in Cabo.

Yes, Cabo is completely safe!!!!!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

I have visited and snorkeled both around Cabo and the Caribbean. Both are wonderful but different as the other posters have pointed out. If you decide to go to Cabo, definitely do not miss Cabo Pulmo for snorkeling. While I did not think the coral was as impressive as in the Virgin Islands, the variety of sea life was astounding.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,641 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

Seems as if what you are looking for might be better found elsewhere. Cabo is a remarkable destination with a lot to do and some of the friendliest people you could hope to meet.

But for just beaches and snorkeling you would be better off in Hawaii, or turks and Caicos, St Johns.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

From PA I think you would well advised to go to Cancun. It is closer, generally cheaper, and much nicer.

From CA it is a tougher choice as Cabo is far closer but you pay the price. Cabo used to be cheap 20 years ago but no more and sadly the corridor has been developed to look like a SoCal strip mall

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

Cabo San Lucas is a GREAT destination and perfectlySAFE. It's not involved in any of the safety concerns, those are in completely different areas, no where near Cabo. I have never heard of any issues along these lines.

That said, if great beaches, swmming in the ocean, and snorkeling are your priorities, then the Caribbean side is better for that. Or even further down the west coast to Mazatlan or PV. Cabo is very rough scenery and the beaches are not even swimmable in most areas, it's too rough.

-suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

oops, i meant to say you can go to the Caribbean side of Mexico (Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Mayan Riviera, Cozumel are all wonderful), doesn't necessarily have to be a Caribbean island.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

Just got back from Cancun, you can keep Cancun Proper, but my my my

Isla Mujeres is a totally different place. The water at Isla is fantastic. We will definitely go back. Playa del Carmen is also another very nice place worth a second visit.

Springfield Oregon
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cabo vs. caribbean

Just got back from Cabo and having been to the Playa de Carmen area three times prior, would vote for Playa del Carmen. The vendors and timeshare people are HORRIBLE in Cabo... Cabo lovers... don't get me wrong.. Cabo was fun, but terribly expensive.