We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton versus Finesterra

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton versus Finesterra

I am looking to visit Baja in December with my husband, the main object of the trip is to see the whales and preferably from my ocean view window!!. Which hotel would be best , should I go for the Sheraton Hacieda on the Sea of Cortez or the Finesterra on the Pacific. ? We want a relaxing holiday, but do not want to be in a remote area, wonder if there is much opportunity to get around easily if we stay at the Sheraton and if there are many choices of places to eat in that area, or would we better to stay at the Finesterra. ? We do like to do a bit of site seeing as well. The main thing is the best place to see the whales!

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
#3 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
Casa Bella Boutique Hotel
#5 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo Vista Hotel
Cabo Vista Hotel
#6 of 74 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

First of all December is not a good month for whale watching, late January February and March are the best. The Sheraton is on what is called the corridor. It is 1/2 way between San Jose and Cabo. Very few choices for restaurants unless you rent a car. The Finesterra is on the Pacific side a 10 minute walk to DT Cabo.

Go to my website www.trapperscabolist.com and then Maps. It will show you where Finesterra is located. It will not show the Sheraton, it is to far up the corridor.

If you go during the whale season the Finesterra is the best for whale watching.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
California
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Trapper has given you great advice. Finnestara is on Pacific side facing west. No swimming in Ocean there and stay back if wavy. Great sunsets from their bar. Its up a hill from town. At one time we stayed at Melia next to Hilton during late March and saw whales breaching a ways out. Check out a tour during whale season. Swimming in front of Hilton did not do as better beaches around. Finnestara is close to where action is.

Orange County
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Have stayed at both places. The Finesterra is not in the same class as the Sheraton. I think you would be disapointed at the Finesterra.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,115 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Are you open to suggestions of other places to stay? Have you read the Top Questions about Cabo in the upper right, specifically the Resorts info?

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
indiana
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Stay at the Finisterra every year and always see tons of whales. They seem to come in a little closer on the Pacific side. Just my opinion. Finisterra is a little older than most of the other places, but we've never had a bad time. We call it our home away from home. The location is very close to town.

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Finisterra is a better choice if whale watching is a must. Sheraton sits down on the beach, Finisterra sits up higher, so you have a much better vantage point. You are also just a short walk into town, restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We did have an El Niño current this year, which means, the whales may be early or late, you may want to research that....we do see whales in December and sometimes as early as November. They are actually present year round, but the mass migration to give birth takes place from December to mid March.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Thank you so much for your help, I have made my booking!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Thank you, I have taken your advice. Thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

Thank you I took your advice and investigated more, all sorted now.!.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton versus Finesterra

So where did you end up booking???

BTW - We go in November every year and see whales migrating. December will be fine for seeing whales, most especially if you're on the Pacific side (Solmar / Terrasol / Playa Grande / Finisterra / Capella / PB Sunset Beach).

Anyway... just curious which place you chose.

Mentioned in this post
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,165 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico