We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions on renting someones timeshare

Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
680 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions on renting someones timeshare

I am working on getting our October Cabo trip put together. The past 3 years I have booked either through Expedia or Orbitz and ended up with some reasonable deals.

This year I thought I would try to rent someones timeshare. Since its the 1st time I have some questions (I tried searching in the old topics but couldn't find answers)

1. Can you negotiate the rental price on a unit that is posted (for instance on Redweek or VRBO) Or do you just decide if you want to pay the price they are asking. The reason I ask this is right now because airfare is over $500 pp from Mpls its more to buy air and rent someone's timeshare than it is to buy a package through one of the vacation websites. Thats crazy!

2. If we do end up renting a timeshare - are there questions you suggest I ask to make sure they are legitimate? I assume on those websites you can pay through paypal or through credit card so if something happened you could reject the charge?

3. Is there anyway to verify what you are actually getting when you rent from someone on those websites?

Thanks,

Wendy

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

We have both rented from others and rented our units many times.

The prices you see listed are always negociable. I am only really familiar with rental prices at Playa Grande but you can usually get a week there in a 1 bed/ 2 bath for $500-$800. Remember that you pay no tax when renting from an owner- but the resort tax is close to 30% if you go thru the resort or a 3rd party site like Expedia.

I always get the phone number of the person renting and then call them to get a feel for how legitimate they are. I feel more comfortable talking to them especially if I can call them at work than just emailing some. I guess it is possible that there will be people out to scam others but we have never had any issues at all. The sites are just for advertising but you will be paying the actual owner so I doubt you can use a credit card but you should be able to use paypal if they are agreeable to it. You usually pay the whole amount upfront and then the owner will request their unit to be put into your name for the week. Ask them to email you a copy of the confirmation. At Playa Grande for example, there is a specific form that is used to do this.

Most owners will advertise their room number at the resort if they own fixed. If they own floating, your unit will be assigned upon check in. You can always ask them to send you a copy of their certificate of ownership but I have never had to do this.

Hope this helps!

Kansas CIty...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

fingsister, renting isn't difficult, but many people are afraid of renting from a stranger. Good for you for wanting to try! I prefer to use Redweek or Craigs List for the best deals.

1. Yes, price is negotiable. However, if the price is already very reasonable, some owners may expect you to pay the full asking price. At the end of the day, prices are never set in stone so it doesn't hurt to ask.

2. Some websites have handling companies you can pay through to make sure both parties are satisfied. In the past, I've sent a certified check directly to the owner once I know the rental is legit.

3. Ask to see a copy of the rental confirmation (the owner should be able to provide this via email). You can double check by calling the resort to make sure it's legit. Once payment is received and the reservation is now yours, its a good idea to check with the resort again to make sure the reservation is in your name, for the correct dates and room type.

good luck!

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

I don't know about timeshares, but I have seen some amazing deals including airfaire on bookit.com

It might be worth checking out.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

Ive rented timeshares and have always had a good experience. Red week and VRBO are good places to start.

California
Level Contributor
521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

I've rented directly from owners many times. Usually via redweek or vrbo.

I like to talk to the owner directly to get a feel for them (make sure I don't have any red flags). I ask that the reservation is put in my name prior to payment. Not all owners will do this. If they won't do this then they can put it in their name. Next I call the resort to make sure the reservation has been made and I confirm the person I'm renting from is in fact an owner there. After this I immediately send payment however the owner prefers it.

We've never had a problem and many times I haven't been as thourough as above. But I've decided it is worth the couple of extra steps to make sure the deal is legit. That being said sometimes it is cheaper to book a trip including air through expedia or orbitz. Check both ways and book whichever way is the best deal.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

There is a web site called www.sellmytimeshare.com. It also gives you the option of bidding on units that people want to rent out to at least make their maintenance payments. I've used this for a vacation this and was contacted by rep from Charls Shwab who handled everything.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

I've rented from both vrbo and redweek.com without any problems. I've also rented out my own units on redweek.com and craigslist without any problems.

Owners have to pay maintenance fees. If, for instance, the maintenance fee on a 1-bedroom unit is $690 and the owner has it listed for $700, that means they are probably already losing money due to the cost of advertising it. So, don't expect them to accept $500 just because you're paying a higher airfare. However, if the rental is a fixed week and they are running out of time to rent it, they might accept it and consider $500 better than losing their entire maintenance fee. It really depends upon the owner and how much time they have left to rent out the unit.

As was said by others, it doesn't hurt to ask for a lower rate, but many units are already listed at the cost of their maintenance fee simply because of the economy. Be realistic and be fair, and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a unit that suits your needs.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

first, the entire world is negotiable. I have used VRBO several times and not had a problem but to think every listing is legit would be naive. at some point life is a crap shoot. dont confine yourself to just timeshares, look at all listings as houses can be had for cheap.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

Wanted to add to the info about sellmytimeshare.com. It might be easier to just call. I spoke with Diane of Charles Shwab at 877 -411-7249 @ ext 522. she was always just a phone call away answered all our questions and is the link between the owner and you. Also supplies you with the owners info if you feel the need to talk to them. I just called the hotel to confirm our reservation. NO Problem. Mention that Wendy from Frisco recommended her. She was great to work with.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions on renting someones timeshare

Don't forget to try eBay. Just make sure it is a rental and that you're not purchasing a timeshare week. I have rented through VRBO (once) and eBay (once) both successfully. I know that eBay has something called "Square Deal Verified" where they actually check to make sure that the person listing the timeshare is the rightful owner and has paid their current maintenance fees. I assume VRBO does something similar.

Whatever you do, please do not trust Craigslist. My husband is re-habbing a home and three times in one day had people stop by to see the "rental". They claimed it was advertised on Craigslist and my husband assured them that he was the rightful owner and had placed no such ad. So sad to think that someone might send a cashiers check based on the outward appearance of the home and get swindled.(the ad was removed the same day). I'm not trying to down Craigslist because I've bought and sold items on there but would never do something as precarious as a timeshare transaction with no safety net.

I am also a timeshare owner and have been using & trading internally for almost 20 years. If you have been happy with hotels I hope you will be nicely surprised with a timeshare vacation. Have a great time in Cabo.