We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa Grande

Nj
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
playa Grande

How is the atmoshere at playa grand?Is it a quite Hotel or active? I heard their drinks are very expensive is this true and do they offer a 2x1 happy hour like other hotels in the area.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playa Grande

Drinks are expensive at every resort! Yes, they have happy hour at the pool (2 hours) in the afternoon and then happy hour up at the Lobby Bar (in the evening).

Playa Grande is usually very quiet. It is located on Solmar Beach which is not swimmable due to the rip tide action - however, there are no beach vendors to annoy you while you lay out in the sun.

The lower section of the resort has five pools/jacuzzis -- the Ridge section has three pools and two jacuzzis. One of the Ridge pools also has a water slide for kids.

There are three restaurants on site (one on the Ridge, and two in the "Lower 40"). They also provide room service. They own an additional three offsite restaurants as well (Galeon, Romeo & Julietta, and Hacienda Coyote) where you can eat and charge back to your room. There is also a restaurant at its sister resort, Solmar, and you can charge the meal to your room there as well.

Lots of Playa Grande owners on this forum, so there are plenty of us to answer your questions. :)

Have a great time...

Nj
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playa Grande

Thanks for your help. I am staying on Medano beach then was thinking to go to Playa grande for a few nights.The room rates seem really cheep compared to Casa Dorado.I also like pacifica but was a little too quite for us.

Nj
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playa Grande

Also is the Ridge section better for adults and is it worth the extra money?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: playa Grande

Well, either people love or hate the Ridge. That's always a debate amongst the owners. I personally do not care for the Ridge. Pools are too crowded for my taste, and I prefer an ocean view over the marina/city view. Also, I do not enjoy sitting on the balcony on the Ridge due to all of the street and marina noise.

But, others love it. The rooms and balconies are newer and nicer than in the "Lower 40". They like feeling as though they are "exclusive" up there since you have to be staying on the Ridge in order to use the pools up there.

So, it's a personal preference thing. My preference is the "Lower 40" at Playa Grande. Others prefer the Ridge. One thing we all have in common is that we love staying at Playa Grande. :)

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,345 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: playa Grande

I agree! Everyone has different feelings about the Ridge. My husband loves it but I prefer the lower 40. I do like the Ridge pools better ( I have always found them less crowded!) and the rooms are a bit nicer but I really hate giving up the great ocean views that we have in our lower rooms. We usually compromise by staying at the Ridge about every other year when we do an exchange and have to give up our fixed room anyway.

It is a very quiet resort, everything pretty much is dead by dusk but we like it that way! We hardly ever eat at the resort except for maybe snacks by the pool but it is such an easy walk into town.

We also love it there!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: playa Grande

I own at the Ridge and love it, but we do go down to the "lower 40" a couple time each stay for more activity. I am with Sandy (househunter) and hardly ever eat at the resort, way too many great places in town!! Also, it is VERY quiet when the sun goes down as others have stated. Have a great time!!

7. Re: playa Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2011, 06:17