We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walla Walla
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

I am trying to plan a trip with my girlfriends. We are all moms and just want to get away in the sand and water and relax. I have been to Cancun 3 times, and honestly that would be my ideal place to go for this but it takes too long to fly there from where we live. So I was thinking the Cabo area. So here are my questions:

1. Is it safe for 4 woman to travel to Cabo alone?

2. Are we safe to roam around and shop and eat?

3. Do people swim in the ocean in Cabo?

4. Is the water warm??

5. Is the sand nice?

6. Do people hang out on the beach in front of their resorts??

7. AI for a simplicity? Or dine out?

8. Safe safe night life?

9. Suggestions for where to stay??

10. Is there a different place in Mexico you would go?

Thanks for your help!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Here are some answers to your questions!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

1. Yes, safe for even one woman by herself.

2. Yes. It feels safer than walking around in downtown Seattle, tho' maybe not quite like downtown Walla Walla.

3. Yes, at Medano Beach and at Lovers Beach.

4. Yes, in October - December. Then the water begins to cool down, reaching its coolest temp somewhere around June. In Feb - May, the temperature description is "fresh."

5. It's coarse. I'm not sure how "nice" sand behaves. It isn't powdery, if that's what you're wondering.

6. Yes, especially on Medano Beach. The resorts on Solmar Beach have a few chairs for views, but since there is no swimming the beach area is less crowded & popular. You can also sit in lounge chairs at any beach bar and just pay for food & drinks ~ sit there all day!

7. Your choice, but there are very few AI options in Cabo and many many excellent restaurants at all price points.

8. Yes. Just don't be dumb. (If you are drunk and walk down the street at 3 am, flashing jewelry, and asking to buy drugs, you'll find trouble.)

9. Read the Top Questions about Cabo in the upper right (map included.) I think the PB Rose might be good for your group. Spend a day at PB Sunset Beach for a different vibe, but be close enough to walk to town every night and to access swimmable Medano Beach. Casa Dorada is a bit more upscale, and Playa Grande is popular with lots of folks who prefer quieter Solmar Beach.

10. Nope.

You're welcome.

-----------

Ohhhhhh ..... I'm fast!

Edited: 14 December 2010, 00:36
Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Hi from the PNW!!

I hear you about the long ride to the other coast!!

We love Cabo..I will try to answer your questions..

1. Yes

2. See #1..lol...

3. Medano Beach is "swimming" beach in Cabo..the currents and rips are dangerous on the Pacific side.

4. The water temps vary...when are you going? It is coldest in the early summer.

5. The sand is not like Cancun. The texture is a bit grainier and it is not white..."nice" is all about perception...

6. All the time!! Again, it depends on where you are staying..the resorts on Medano Beach are full of activity..

7. AI is not popular in Cabo like it is in Cancun...I suggest renting from a timeshare owner, stocking your fridge, going out for dinner..so many great places to eat...

8. Night life is safe..just use good judgement...don't get out of control drunk...we usually take a taxi home... those darn sidewalks reach out and grab me once in a while..lol...

check out this website...full of great maps ( use these to get your bearings)...Trapper's list for eats...take the time to explore it the whole site!! It was so very helpful before our first trip~ helmbrechtsonline.com/Cabo/Cabo_index.html

9. For this you need to expand on your wants and needs...beachfront? walkable to town? budget?...can help better when these things are known...

10. We love Cabo..so that is where we go!! But there are so many other places to try as well...I suggest going on to other forums and testing the waters as well..

Good luck and happy planning!!!

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Rachel...you are too darned fast with the fingers!!!lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do seem to be similar...Ha!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

And househunter/Sandy doesn't even have her answers up yet!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Wow! I did something wrong and was trying to edit with a long response but Rachel and Glynnis beat me to it! You girls are fast! They both gave great information and was everything I was going to say.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

I am laughing sooooo hard!! I type almost with two fingers....Sandy...you are slackin' Ha!!!!!

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,197 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

Chaloop........you can look at the beaches and see the sand and water on these videos. A picture is worth a thousand words. Cabo is special !!! www.cabosbest.com Click on Best Cabo Beaches.

Edited: 14 December 2010, 00:48
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

1. Yes. I traveled alone myself last year and was fine.

2. Yes.

3. Yes at Medano beach.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. I only to Medano Beach myself (was staying at a non-beach downtown hotel).

7. Dine out.

8. Yes.

9. Price range? Ammenities? Any hints what you are looking for?

10. Puerto Vallarta

-suze

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mommy Girl Trip - want relaxing safe vacation have questions

The other ladies were right on - here's my .02:

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes, at Medano, Santa Maria and Chilleno beaches ONLY - ok, and Cerritos if you go up there (they will pick you up if you spend $25 per person)

4. depends on the time of year and your definition of warm. I swim in the ocean in Nov/Dec every year and love it.

5. Sand is pretty coarse.

6. yes

7. dine out - see Trappers List link in the upper right corner

8. yes, if you stick together and don't do anything stupid

9. depends on what you are looking for - be specific...swim up pool bars, close to town, luxury or economy...

10. love, love, love Cabo!!!