We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Santa Fe recent review!

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Topic
Riu Santa Fe recent review!

Recently there has been a couple reviews that I have read that indicate that there has been theft occuring at the Riu Santa Fe. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to avoid this from occuring? I will bring a door stop that can be used while we are in the room so that no one comes in while we are in the room but how do you prevent stuff being stolen while you are away especially if you are keeping your stuff in the safe? I am sure there is a lot of other people out there that have booked their trip already what are your thoughts?

**** Couple other questions

1. Credit card fraud? I only ever use my credit card at the hotel and when I book my excursions through or tour company I am assuming this is still safe, never had a problem before and I have travelled a lot.

2. Gifts for the resort employees. I have been to different parts of Mexico, both sides of the Dominican, Cuba and I have always brought little gifts with me to give along with my $$ tip, has anyone else done this at this resort? Some countries are different and dont have a lot of what we have. Not sure just thought I would throw the question out there.

Many thanks in advance,

L0veTw0Travel

houston,tx
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

I will be visiting the RIU in March and have seen the same post about security entering the rooms at night and stealing valuables. I had posted my same concerns and had some nice replies from people who had been there recently who had no problems. A few even stated they have deadbolts on the doors, just no chains. I will also be bringing a door stop and some cheap wind chimes to put on the door knob after turning in for the night, in case someone tried to come in, we would be alerted!

I hate to think that someone would post something thats not true, just to hurt the business of a resort because they had a bad experience, ie..not getting a certain room request, a dinner reservation, treated unsatisfactory, etc. However, I did notice that both of the post claiming thefts, came from the same city in Canada, which makes me highly suspicious!

This is our first trip to Cabo and The Riu! We have stayed at many other all-inclusives and have never had a problem. We will take precautions and look forward to this trip, I have read so many good things about The Riu!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

I totally agree I am looking forward to our trip as well. We are also heading there in March when are you going there? The wind chimes is also a great idea you can get small ones at the dollar store.

I read reviews and am very open minded. I have been many places and have never had a real problem but all the resorts I have stayed at had negative reviews prior to me going! Hope you have a great trip!

Level Contributor
274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

We are heading there in March as well, and thanks for the wind chime idea...its perfect. I will be getting some to place on the door as well. We are going March 24-31 when will you be there.....

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

We went to the hotel with a large group when the Riu first opened.

One of the members of our group had valuables removed from her safe while absent from the room.

Just saying it does happen.

Camano Island...
Level Contributor
82 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

We are coming down 3rd week of March also to the Rui Sante Fe. I am an ultra paranoid traveler after having our safe broken into at Pueblo Bonito Rose.

Try corporatesafety.com . Look for an item called " MILOCKIE" it's an additional room Safe Locking device thats a great deterent about $70.

If you are packing a lot of electronics that you are worried about, look for anything from PACSAFE. or put these items inside one of your suit cases get a Bag Zipper Lock also a Cable Lock to lock it a piece of Furniture.

Also make sure you get Combination Locks so you dont have to worry about losing the keys. This is not a lot to do for piece of mind.

hope this helps.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

Thanks for the awesome information Camano1 we are going to be at the Riu the 3rd week in March as well. With all these new theft deterant devices people might be using I wonder want the employees are going to start thinking? :)

One of the other forums, one had indicated to tip and maybe we wont have these problems. I always tip and normally leave a small little gift in my room each day, I find that it makes me happy to do things for others and I have never had any problems with stuff being stolen before. I don't think that this has anything to do with it mind you, I think if it is going to happen it will.

I am definitley not going to allow this to ruin my holidays. I wont be bringing a lot of stuff that I normally do like my laptop and extra jewellery because I really don't need it. I need a real vacation and if I bring my laptop I just end up working anyways.

Hope you have an awesome holiday Camano1 and who knows maybe we might run into each other!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

Hey Mich,

We are going to be there from March 21-28th so looking forward to getting away from our lovely Canadian winter :) The wind chime is a great idea but I am also going to bring along a door wedge stopper to put under the door as the door wont be able to be open without real force. Dead bolt locks are not a deteriant if they have a master key, the windchimes will move as soon as the door starts to shake but then the door stopper should be enough for them to realize they are not getting in anytime soon! I dont want to become a paranoid traveller and all my family and friends are all saying why are you going back to Mexico, it is becoming a very unsafe country, I don't want to become a victim and proof them right. I love going to Mexico the people there for the most part are awesome people, lets hope that the few who are not wont ruin it for the others.

Have a great holiday Mitch and who knows maybe we might run into each other!

L0veTw0Travel

Greenville, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

My wife and I have just returned from staying at thr riu santa fe from jan 29th thru feb 4th. we can say that we had no problem with any thing be stolen out of our room or the safe just make shur that the safe is locked befor you leave the room. I took my lap top with me and put it inside my empty suit case in the closet but was told after that you can leave your lap top at the front desk and pick it up when ever you need it.

as far as gifts for the staff I can't answer that but we did leave money on the table by the bed every day for the maid, when we first meet her we informed her that if there was money there it was for her to take that way she knew.

as far as credit card use we used ours all over cabo and made shur we keep the recipts in one place and checked our credit card statement on line when we got home and found no charges that we did not make.

hope you have as great a trip to the riu as we did

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,888 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

L0veTw0Travel ~ You're so thoughtful! If you leave a gift for the maid in addition to the tip, you might include a card with

"un regalo para la camarista" (a gift for the maid)

cabo
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Santa Fe recent review!

well next time check this out http://briarpatchinn.net. great little place to stay, kind of like a B&B.....10 minutes from the beach and reasonable, nice people.

Edited: 07 February 2011, 13:47