We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of small gifts should I take?

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What type of small gifts should I take?

When I went to Dominican Republic last year, I took some small items that are hard to find there, such as hot wheels, baseball cards etc. and gave them, along with cash, as tips for maids, bartenders etc. I would like to get some small things for Cabo, but I realize they probably don't have the same difficulty getting things that D.R. has. Can anyone tell me if there is anything that would be appreciated by staff? I have found that sometimes the smallest things are the most appreciated. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: What type of small gifts should I take?

When we met with the head of the La Paz orphanage last summer his first choice was tennis shoes, running shoes and the second was bed linens (surprised me)...I'm guessing twin beds.

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: What type of small gifts should I take?

Great! Thanks for the info!

Melissa

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What type of small gifts should I take?

I am even more excited about our trip (and it's still in the planning stages) after reading this forum!!! Sometimes I feel guilty because how blessed we really are and by taking some things down to the kids and maids, at least I'll be able to contribute to those less fortunate. We do things like this, but what will be even better, is being able to hand them out yourself!!! Just a couple of questions . . . do you have to arrange with anyone if you are going to a school or church? How many items do you think you bring? Do you hand out 1 item per person? Patti917: thank you so much for making my upcoming 10th anniversary even more special by planning to do this!!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: What type of small gifts should I take?

Annyka -

No need to make arrangements. If at a school, just look for the adults guide to guide you.

At a church, just get your things out and people will come. We will never have enough items, so give what you can and they will understand and be thankful. If you have just a few things, it may be easier to single out someone you see and give to them.

Great that you are helping!