We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

I'd like to go whale watching but my 11-yr-old son gets seasick pretty easily if the boat slows down and just bobs on the water. He got sick on the Lover's Beach/Land's End tour in the glass-bottomed boat. He does okay if it's a motorboat and moving at a good clip. Do the whale watching boats move fairly quickly? Which companies have the smaller, faster-moving boats? I read that you can see whales from shore, but I'm assuming that on the boats, you're that much closer. Is that correct?

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

Eco cat has the Zodiac boats. Fast moving get real close to the whales. Also ocean riders. www.caboexpeditions.com.mx Ginger powder is good for sea sickness also peppermint candy.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

Thanks. We'll try peppermint candy; ginger hasn't helped in the past. Graval works but then he's asleep thru the whale watching.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

Bonine works very well take one an hour before and while on board as directed. May make you slightly drowsy if your not active but not nearly as much as patches or dramamine. suggested to me by an Oregon crab boat skipper. Has always worked well for me. good luck

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

Bonine works very well take one an hour before and while on board as directed. May make you slightly drowsy if your not active but not nearly as much as patches or dramamine. suggested to me by an Oregon crab boat skipper. Has always worked well for me. good luck

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

The boats are all going to slow to a stop when they find whales so people can see them- so I think you are going to be bobbing around for a bit no matter which tour you do.

Can you talk to your Dr before you leave about which meds may be best for him? Or maybe the patch?

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

I've found that Sudafed (or other decongestant) works well for me against seasickness - I've had that problem most of my life and only learned to use that a couple of years ago. I was told basically (by a commercial fisherman from Australia) that by keeping your head up you keep your sinuses open - which I assume is why I was always told to always look at the horizon, but never thought about that in "technical" terms, so then starting using them (instead of something like Draminine, which just makes me sick). At least using the Sudafed I don't have to only look at the horizon anymore.

New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

When are you going? Whale watching season is not year round.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

We leave in 30 minutes for the airport!!!

9. Re: Whale watching by boat if you get seasick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:18