We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Does anyone know on average how much you save if you go AI?? Or do you not save any $$$? It would be nice to have everything paid for upfront and just worry about the tips. But is it worth it? Thinking of staying at Melia,Dreams,RUI, or Sunset? Is any of them better then the other as far as there AI goes. I am a single in her 20's going with her brother, his girlfriend and my parents at the end of May.

Thank you!

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Consider how much time you want to spend at your resort. If you want to experience the nightlife in Cabo, or try the other restaurants, then don't limit yourself by going AI.

Also, if you do a search on this forum, you see some restaurant favorites, and the average prices for meals.

Personally, I found that I saved a lot of money by staying at Los Bunglows- one TripAdvisors top rated in the world. Free breakfasts, and I was going out every night for two weeks.

There's so many inexpensive restaurants, and so many places that serve two for one drinks. I alloted myself $100 per day for eating and drinking, then had plenty of cash left over to rent a car and take a day trip to Todos Santos.

That's only my experience. You'll get lots of differing opinions on this forum. That's why you've come to the right place for advice. Good Luck and enjoy your vacation!

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

It just depends what kind of price you get on the AI. Some of rates that have been described by some posters have been really cheap. So using the AI option for food or not didn't make much of a difference to them. I personally haven't done AI since I like to explore new places.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

bw42.........The other option is to get a place with a kitchenette, bring or buy a few things and have breakfast and or lunch at the suite. You can go out every night to a new place and try the local food. That's what we do and that's the reason we're staying at The Fiesta Marina and it's close to town but probably not a top shelf resort.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

I, too, prefer being free to explore on my own; we like variety. My only experience with ai was brief, but the food seemed to me rather like that obtained on a cruise ship--not in the main dining room. I definitely wasn't impressed. Perhaps ai makes more sense for those who would have a very large bar bill, but again, lots of places in Cabo have 2/1 for long periods of time.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Ive only done the AI route when in Cabo. If as the above poster, Christina, said she allots $100/day for food and drinks, then AI is a much cheaper way to go.

I live in Wisconsin and pay about $1200/week. Take out about $500 just for airfare and that leaves $700 for the week and that includes transportation, taxes, hotel room all I can eat and all I can drink. So spending $100/day just for eats and drinks, add the cost of the hotel and it makes AI look pretty good. You can still afford to explore with that budget. I probably waste $100 in drinks just from letting them get warm in the Cabo sun.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Like I said, it just depends what kind of deal you can get on AI. If you shop prices, can make arrangements on short notice, perhaps off season, you can get deals like Shelb finds. However I just went to the Riu website and tried to book one of their "specials": $3024 for 2 people for the week, not including airfare. I know I can beat that without going AI.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Shelb may very well be correct, but I just wanted to clarify, that I alloted myself $100 per day, then had lots of cash left over.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

Christina, that's about our story, too. We must eat at the same places. Glad I know how to make very refreshing drinks in the room, or I might not make it on that $100.

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saving $$$$$ staying @ a AI?

bw-

I was asking the same thing and have been all over the reviews for the resort I'm going to...

Since some highly recommend the AI and others strongly discourage, and since the AI is optional at my resort but if purchased, must be a consecutive 3 days, I think I'm going with both....

We'll probably go AI for 3 days and explore the other days (probably breakfast and lunch at the resort and off of the resort for dinner)..